Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 24-11-19, 21:01   #16671
_Seth

I love Odyssey tremendously but I don't want a third game that's almost the same as the two preceding before it. Even though Egyptian and Greek architectural styles are totally dissimilar, Origins and Odyssey bizarrely looked very much alike, and I feel it would be the same with a Vikings setting.

Feudal Japan with a reined in RPG system would be ideal.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 22:20   #16672
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I love Odyssey tremendously but I don't want a third game that's almost the same as the two preceding before it. Even though Egyptian and Greek architectural styles are totally dissimilar, Origins and Odyssey bizarrely looked very much alike, and I feel it would be the same with a Vikings setting.

Feudal Japan with a reined in RPG system would be ideal.
Not so bizarrely really. Remember Origins had Alexandria, a Greek city in Egypt where the architecture was almost totally Greek, and a lot of the other cities had it too. Wouldn't surprise me if they outright re-used assets from Origins for Odyssey, would be senseless not to I guess.

I just don't want them to make it a point of trying to outdo themselves in scale every game. Origins was already more than impressively big enough, Odyssey was already way too big, trying to go even bigger is just taking the piss and totally pointless.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-19, 14:48   #16673
killchan

... as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Syndicate (despite the broken level system that allowed you to 1-hit kill bosses in the story missions) and never touched Origins and Odyseey, I think it's time for the series to take the plunge, set the next game in the present day in a much less busy map. Not linear, just tighter and without all the side activities.
Something like, make this assassin play with the animus for a while in, say , Japan, but then CRISIS! pull him out of there with no warning whatsoever and have him resist/hunt down the templars in the present: his abilities will carry over from the animus chapter and the upgrade process in the present will be much, MUCH harder. This would make the role of the animus actually matter.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-19, 18:35   #16674
jajay119

You're saying that as if ubisoft haven't abandoned any pretence at keeping the series true to its identity. It's just a glorified history and mythology simulator with AC on the box at this point.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 11:45   #16675
killchan

It's been that since the expansions for AC3.
now it's just a OW-RPG called AC.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 10:11   #16676
Kivlov

A bit late, but here are my impressions from AC: Odyssey.

It seems it was a mistake to play the Odyssey immedeatly after finishing the Witcher 3. Odyssey looks like a very simplified version of the Witcher 3 with degraded quests, story, etc. OMG, even some icons on the map looks like they were just copy-pasted from the Witcher 3.

Grinding is overdosed like hell, and it's very boring. A lot of nonsense repetitive moments. Randomly generated quests are simply trash. Fortunately they added custom quests made by the community - it was a very good idea.

Of course, the Witcher 3 also contained some repetitive activities, but somehow they were much more nice and comfortable to perform them there.

There's absolutely no interest in collecting new weapons/armor. Why? You can just buy them for real money. And you even don't have to change it - you can just upgrade any weapon armor to your current level. It totally ruins all emotions from finding new great stuff. Abosolutely no anticipations of joy and delight from looting another chest like in the Witcher or Diablo.

Sea battles are not even near to those atmosperic and exciting adventures they were in the Black Flag.

Assassins and Templars? Forget about them. Assassin's Creed is not about assassins anymore. Just an ordinary RPG, one from many.

I'm dissapointed in Ubisoft, and in the AC series - in what it became now. I beleive they should change many things. And, most importantly, their approach to development. They should stop feeding their fans second-rate content, just to sell "something" every year. Still hope that the Breakpoint disaster will teach them something...

Last edited by Kivlov; 11-12-19 at 10:13.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 09:50   #16677
AimlessThunder

I personally love AC: Odyssey. I am only 15 hours in and there is so much to do. So much. I love it so far.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 11:29   #16678
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
I personally love AC: Odyssey. I am only 15 hours in and there is so much to do. So much. I love it so far.
15 hours is a drop in the sea. It's a very-very long game. I spent more than 200 hours on it (including all side quests, collectibles and DLCs).

The problem is that 15 hours is more than enough for this game to show you almost everything interesting stuff which can surprise you. From this moment you will only repeat the same again and again. The story could save the situation, but it's really weak, even weaker than it was in Origins.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-20, 20:23   #16679
Yeauxleaux

Whilst the gameplay could be repetitive, Origins did have a much, much stronger storyline and I think that's what kept us invested in it for 50+ hours. Bayek was a fantastic protagonist.

I've been through the game 3 times now and I'm honestly still not bored of it.

Odyssey's main two problems were going as big as possible just for the sake of it, and also giving us too much choice I think. I just don't feel connected to and invested in the protagonist, because they are built around this idea of choice - choose the gender, choose how they behave and how their story unfolds. Because of that, the character feels generic and a bit unnatural.

It's rare a game executes this well enough that I find the storyline impactful, compared to a preset protagonist who is taking us on their adventure with them.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 18-02-20 at 20:24.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 21:18   #16680
jajay119

To me it all highlights how far AC has strayed from its roots. The older games were about reliving the actual life of someone who existed and as such meant staying in synch to a degree in order not to knock yourself out if their DNA. Now its just do whatever you want. I dont understand why they dont just make a separate history simulator built into the universe and allow more traditional AC games to exist too. It's literally not the same selling the newer games at the moment.

Last edited by jajay119; 22-02-20 at 21:20.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote