Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

View Poll Results: If you are a beginner builder then do you want a newbie thread for that?
I don't think we need a separated thread, we will discuss the questions in the general Open TRLE/TRNG/etc. threads. 3 7.89%
Yes, a general editor thread for newbies would be good, with beginner questions about all the known editors, like TRLE/TRNG/TREP/Dxtre3D/Tomb Editor. 34 89.47%
I have just started building with TRLE, a beginner thread for that would be nice, other editors are excluded there. 0 0%
I have just started building with Dxtre3D, a beginner thread for that would be nice, other editors are excluded there. 0 0%
I have just started building with TREP, a beginner thread for that would be nice, other editors are excluded there. 0 0%
I have just started building with TRNG, a beginner thread for that would be nice, other editors are excluded there. 0 0%
I have just started building with Tomb Editor, a beginner thread for that would be nice, other editors are excluded there. 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-06-18, 16:55   #1
AkyV

Default If you are a beginner builder then do you want a newbie thread for that?

This poll is public, with only one choice.
It closes in 30 days.

"Experts" starting a new editor should be excluded in this poll, their votes will be ignored. Like me, having years in TRNG, but being totally a newbie in Tomb Editor. (I mean they should be experienced enough with the similar basics to solve their problems even in general open threads about that editor.)

EDIT:
Dear users!
Seeing the univocal result of this poll, plus seeing the debating threads below, I discussed it with Justin, and I know our possibilities now. I soon will launch a new poll about that.
Please also vote there!

Thank you!

Last edited by AkyV; 01-07-18 at 11:53.
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 17:02   #2
moodydog

Please could you provide a definition of a newbie?

Is it
a) someone who has never even touched the level editor before.
b) someone with with basic knowledge and experience with the level editor.
c) someone who may have a good working knowledge of the level editor but has yet to create/ finish/ release a level.

I fit under c.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 17:15   #3
AkyV

Releasing a level is not a must. There are several builders, having <1 ratings levels released, they are clearly not "experts".
Having basic knowledge is also not a newbie. If you know what a Moveable object, floor grid, click, inner lighting, texture tile etc. is and how to make slopes, doors, water etc. then your knowledge is enough even for a general thread.

I think the answer is:
- if you have never touched the editor,
- if you have already tried editing, but you can not not not not understand the basics, however, having read many manuals and tutorials so far.

So I suppose the definition is somewhere in "middle b" or "low b", plus below it.

You say "under c". So you know the basics? I think it is enough for a general thread, then I wouldn't say you are a newbie.

Last edited by AkyV; 27-06-18 at 17:19.
Old 27-06-18, 19:23   #4
Kapu

I voted for the second option. I'm not sure if there's a huge need for it, but it can't hurt, right?
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 19:23   #5
moodydog

Sorry I misread thread for section.

If I may provide a suggestion... a few years ago we had a section called "The Tenderfoot Levels", where inexperienced people were given an environment to be able to create their own levels, share them and get provided with some advice. Only the beginners and a selection of experienced helpers were permitted into the section. The idea was that we'd learn from each other, with some expert advice every now and then It would be great to have something like this again. The only difference is, rather than it being open ended, have it a little more guided and structured, and use objectives.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 19:28   #6
Danath

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I voted for the second option. I'm not sure if there's a huge need for it, but it can't hurt, right?
Same here. I'm not a "noob" builder but i think it would be helpful to keep basic questions and advanced ones separate.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 19:35   #7
Opaque79

I also chose the second option. I'm not much of a newbie anymore but is still a good idea for new builders.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 19:38   #8
RocketLombax

I'd say any form of thread for questions about the basics in general would be a good idea! It's easy to find all sorts of tutorials about more in-depth things, but there are still a lot of loose ends that are difficult to find help with, newbie or seasoned builder.

And while there's the thread for general help and chat, a lot gets lost in the span of nearly 2000 pages. A fresh thread with newbie builders in mind would be a great way to give people the direct attention they need!

I'm all for it.
RocketLombax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 19:51   #9
AkyV

Okay, I see some of you vote for other builders, not for yourselves. In that case, I suppose, we can accept that you vote, even if you are an expert. All you need is tell your opinion in the comments, that it is for the others, not yourself.

About "tenderfoot levels" section. If the present action will be really successful, then, I think, we can think about that idea, we will discuss it here, including our TRF administrator, Justin, naturally. Having this separated thread there, or keeping it public in the general TRLE section, I still don't know that.

Please also tell your opinion here with a tenderfoot level section!
Old 27-06-18, 20:28   #10
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketLombax View Post
And while there's the thread for general help and chat, a lot gets lost in the span of nearly 2000 pages. A fresh thread with newbie builders in mind would be a great way to give people the direct attention they need!
Honestly I feel like there should be more threads opened sometimes, because sometimes important information gets lost in those hundreds pages.
Don't get me wrong, there is a search function, but:
1) It's easier to read thread titles to know what a thread is about so we can find our answer quickly, rather than trying to read whole posts to see if that's what we're looking for and find the corresponding answers
2) The search function is absolutely awful to use on this forum, mainly because of the huge delay (so if you mistyped, wait another 30 seconds, then if you want to try a different keyword cause there isn't a precise one for your problem, wait another 30 seconds, etc), and also because of the fact that showing messages only displays a very small part of them, so it takes even more time to try to read them (it's almost quicker to open the thread in another tab). And you can't choose how many results to show per page either.[/LIST]So, for quick questions that don't "deserve" a thread,, no problem using the chats, but when a situation is a bit less common, a thread could be useful. Even if we're searching about a different situation, finding a thread with a kinda similar situation can help ring a bell and find a solution for ourselves.

As for the topic of this thread, a chat for beginners questions is totally fine. Well, even here searching for basic issues will get easier cause you know that it might be in this thread (and not in a chat treating thousands of different kinds of questions). And being a more experienced builder you can still help beginners too.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote