Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 31-08-22, 23:03   #961
_Stevie_

Hey, thanks for all the great info! I had no idea kekko was following the dosbox-pure development.

So, from what you are writing, I gather that your tomb raider version will never run on pure, because it’s a complete different Glide approach?

For what it’s worth: I got the original 3dfx version from the CD running in pure.
However, without all your great fixes, though.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 18:16   #962
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I gather that your tomb raider version will never run on pure, because it’s a complete different Glide approach?
thank you for your interest in this thing btw

well yeah, I don't know about never, but surely it would entail an almost complete refurbishment of the installer script, to say the least

no disrespect intended for dosbox pure maker(s)' efforts
still by what I understand, parsing this here at least
(scroll down to: DOSBox Pure vs. classic DOSBox section and below)
I wonder if the effort would be justified, I mean aside from all those things 3dfx, the architecture overhead seems a little less robust, or I should say more awkward vs. classic
or maybe tbh I'm just not used to it enough

you see, when I tried to come up with a TRI install tool, easy yet with customizations, and as userfriendly as can be, I not only had been playing TRI for many years,
on Dos v6.22 and v7.0/7.1, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 32 and 64bit, real & virtual environments, whatever malicious hurdles and elusive workarounds kept on coming across
well I had also been working on or with dosbox since its feckless 0.5x versions, and evolving hardware conundrums, as it all slowly was growing to deliver a decent TRI emulation viability, and same goes for all those wonderful classics like The Dig, the Monkey Islands, Day of the tentacle, Loom, Indiana Jones' Fate of Atlantis etc. etc. all them also getting playable using the excellent ScummVM emulator, which TRI obv. can't possibly depend on

I mean to say handling TRI, along the way using an image and its mount as opposed to a real cdrom, it just slowly came as almost natural a development
and until now I never saw a simpler way to get there.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 21:35   #963
_Stevie_

Yes, indeed, the whole RetroArch experience is a bit different. But it enables me to sit on the couch in the living room playing TR1
But I totally understand that providing patches for another platform is just too much work. I might just play TR1 on my PC and enjoy your great patch there!
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 18:43   #964
Highmalla

Default Does this work on steam ?

if so how can I install it as I've tried multiple times, steam uses DosBoxx
Highmalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 20:31   #965
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
-Does this work on steam ?
sure

Steam/Gog in the end use dosbox too, but building on a different setup than I do
so the answer maybe ought to be
yes, this works on or in spite of any earlier steam installation, ok?
I say in spite of precisely because the installer doesn't really care about steam/gog being present, especially since I made it way before those came
so I tell you it goes its own way following its customized dosbox install plus a few tricks of the trade so to speak that I put in

when the time came, I was asked to add a sort of compatibility layer as far ar steam stuff was concerned, either for legitimacy stuff and especially for those who didn't/couldn't have the original cdrom

that said, if you have Steam TRI installed afaict you should have no problem at all installing this installer over or more correctly beside your stuff
there's a reason if it installs to a different folder than Steam does or else wherever you want, to avoid any possible interference

if you already tried and it failed please let me know what issue or error messages you get and I'll be sure and glad to fix it.

Last edited by gidierre; 02-06-23 at 20:41.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote