Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 13-12-21, 08:18   #11
ATombRaiderFan

Worth pointing out that 'Starring Lara Croft' makes an appearance in the Golden Mask backdrop, it's also present in the US version as well. See image 1.

While Golden Mask is technically an Edios game and not Core, there's also this image extracted from Tomb2.exe, it's called 'demo' and is shown after quitting the demo. See image 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	0
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	3362   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	0
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	3363  

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 01-03-24 at 18:17.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-21, 14:15   #12
Obi_Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
As far as I know, 'Featuring Lara Croft' and 'Starring Lara Croft' for TR1 and 2 were not official subtitles to the name, but just another piece of text applied to the box art.
Well.... doesn't it make it official then? I have original TR2 box for PC (UK) and PSX (EU PAL) and both have "Starring Lara Croft" on the cover:

Last edited by Obi_Black; 19-12-21 at 14:17.
Obi_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-21, 18:58   #13
jvry

I think the point is not whether it is on the box, but whether it is actually part of the title/subtitle or more of a celebrity byline. "This show, featuring/starring this media personality that you may or may not have heard of but we hope will entice you to watch".
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-21, 19:06   #14
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvry View Post
I think the point is not whether it is on the box, but whether it is actually part of the title/subtitle or more of a celebrity byline. "This show, featuring/starring this media personality that you may or may not have heard of but we hope will entice you to watch".
Yes, this is how I've always interpreted it as well. Tomb Raider II has always been just that to me personally for the title. The popularity of Tomb Raider and Lara skyrocketed even after TR1, so adding the "Starring Lara Croft" just seemed like a way to get people to recognize it.

It's classic brand recognition. People that played TR1 in '96 would've seen TR2 a year later and it would be like "Hmm.. Tomb Raider... Lara Croft... Oh yeah, that's that game from last year that I liked! Wow, a sequel already?! I'm sold!"
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-21, 14:09   #15
Mik9517

I actually thought it was Tomb Raider 2: The Dagger of Xian as well.

I do remember my original PS1 copy did get damaged and I had to buy another one so I wonder if that one had The Dagger of Xian on the box like the Italian cover?
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-21, 07:37   #16
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I think there was a logo that was unused and it was titled as Tomb Raider 2 the dagger of Xian
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote