Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 03-10-21, 20:17   #1
Fluen

Question New monitor, but windows XP - what to look out for?

Last month my monitor (Samsung) gave up, and I can no longer turn it on. So I'm looking for a new monitor for my faithful old computer with Windows XP, which I use for playing and building custom TRLE levels.

While researching new monitors I notice, that my preferred choice is compatible with Windows 10, but the specifications say nothing about older versions of Windows.

Will I be able to install the monitor drivers from a new monitor on an old computer with a really old version of windows?

I'd like to know, before I spend a lot of money on a monitor.

Thank you in advance.
Fluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 04:27   #2
ANoDE
Golden

This question really is not universally answerable, since windows XP is out-of-service for more than 7 years by now.
There's really no guarantee that modern hardware will work with this OS.
On the bright side, Monitors usually don't need drivers for basic functions as their basic functionality is specified.
You might not be able to use advanced features like high refresh rates etc. (and other things that weren't around that time like HDR, etc).

I'd say you'll have to trial and error.
Over here we have a right to return digitally purchsed goods for 14 days. Maybe you have something too, so you can effectively try before you buy.

As a side note:
If custom levels and kevel editing are the only uses for this machine, you might want to habe a look into Tomb Editor - a fully Win10 compatible level editor replacement.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 17:53   #3
Fluen

I get old parts replaced, when they break down. My graphics card is the third one, I've acquired.

And I've been building on the very same level since 2013 and have learned from the wailing from others never to move a level under construction from one Tomb Raider editor to another.
Fluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 18:10   #4
jvry

Doesn't hurt to try porting it over for laughs. Shouldn't affect your current build on your XP machine.
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 18:13   #5
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluen View Post
I get old parts replaced, when they break down. My graphics card is the third one, I've acquired.

And I've been building on the very same level since 2013 and have learned from the wailing from others never to move a level under construction from one Tomb Raider editor to another.
I did not want to criticize your hardware and software choices, merely pointing out that if that's what holding you back, there might be viable alternatives.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 20:47   #6
perryloo

A cheaper option is to buy a secondhand/refurbished monitor off Ebay, they can be really cheap. Not sure what guarantee they give though.

Here are are some examples....
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote