Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 26-10-21, 21:28   #71
xdesperado_

I'd say Vice City is my personal favourite from this trilogy, there's just something about driving around at night with those neon lights.

But I remember not beating it because I was stuck at that infamous helicopter mission - the flight controls better be patched in this remaster.

Last edited by xdesperado_; 26-10-21 at 21:30.
xdesperado_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 21:43   #72
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
There’s no way you’ll be able to swim in VC or III. The games were not built with that in mind. Allowing swimming would not be just simple toggle. It involves game mechanics and map design
I don’t know about VC but I think GTA3, especially the remaster, could just be a simple toggle. Why not?

The only reason I could think of is to keep you from getting to the second island before the bridge is rebuilt, but even then it doesn’t make an extreme difference in the story. Bring swimming into the new games!
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-21, 23:26   #73
redfox45

I'm assuming that changing what happens to Claude/Tommy once they make contact with the water would require all kinds of reprogramming and bug testing which is definitely not something RS/Take Two are willing to fork out money and man hours for.

Especially since they know that tens of millions of people will still buy it day 1 anyway even if literally nothing about the games beyond visuals are changed or upgraded.

But yeah, in an ideal world being able to swim in those games would be neat.

Last edited by redfox45; 26-10-21 at 23:29.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 03:56   #74
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I'm assuming that changing what happens to Claude/Tommy once they make contact with the water would require all kinds of reprogramming and bug testing which is definitely not something RS/Take Two are willing to fork out money and man hours for.

Especially since they know that tens of millions of people will still buy it day 1 anyway even if literally nothing about the games beyond visuals are changed or upgraded.

But yeah, in an ideal world being able to swim in those games would be neat.
Ohhh, I was under the impression the games were all built over again from the ground up.
If these are just the original games but with graphical updates then alright, it would make sense they wouldn’t be able to “turn on” swimming for the characters.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 09:04   #75
tomee

Preventing you from going to the locked areas isn't an issue. You could do that in SA when swimming there. Instead of completely preventing you, they just added instant 5 stars to make gameplay impossible there until the story has progressed enough. That's easily implementable in III and VC.

The real issue is map design. Even if they allowed swimming itself, which should be a piece of cake to script for a company like Rockstar, you have to remember that III and VC didn't have any climbing animations or mechanics. That means even if you can swim, you literally can't get out of the water onto dry land in the majority of the map. They would either have to redesign huge chunks of the waterline to allow you to walk out or add a whole new system that allows you to cling to surfaces like you could in SA.

It's still not impossible per se, we're talking about Rockstar here, but it's likely they didn't feel the need to invest into it. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 09:18   #76
Vaskito

On top of that, there's colission points and map design that are not present because the games were made and their worlds built without swimming in mind
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 11:52   #77
HarleyCroft

Furthermore, swimming kinda sucked when it was finally implemented in San Andreas
Ugh, remember having to increase CJ's lung capacity for that one mission?? Even CJ doesn't like going in the water

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 27-10-21 at 11:56.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 12:09   #78
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Furthermore, swimming kinda sucked when it was finally implemented in San Andreas
Ugh, remember having to increase CJ's lung capacity for that one mission?? Even CJ doesn't like going in the water
I thought it was actually fun, and it was a fun way to increase lung capacity because you could swim as far out as you can lol.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 12:23   #79
HarleyCroft

^Ah so I'm probably the one who doesn't appreciate good fun, I don't even like swimming in TR
I could imagine there would be all sorts of fun stuff in the Vice City shores.. hopefully they'll add some collectibles if ol' Tommy goes for a dip
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-21, 13:00   #80
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
^Ah so I'm probably the one who doesn't appreciate good fun, I don't even like swimming in TR
I could imagine there would be all sorts of fun stuff in the Vice City shores.. hopefully they'll add some collectibles if ol' Tommy goes for a dip
What lol? Not even the swimming in TR. I guess I like swimming in games because I can’t swim. Lol Tommy would drown so the only collectibles he would collect is right back at the hospital.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote