Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 28-05-19, 15:09   #91
VictorXD

Well while I don't speak for the whole team, I definitely think that the current 'transitional period' TRLE has been having, helped a lot in stalling progress. TombEditor (the replacement for NGLE) has quickly surpassed NGLE from when it first released and the new updates are constantly improving things but we still have some features missing/need full implementation. The lack for full NG scripting support is also getting the way a bit. It has come a long way but it still needs a few stuff.

I'm hoping that the project will be completed using TombEditor eventually since the work flow is much better and much easier/faster and now that we have the Room Import/Export function, making better graphics also much easier. The option to use .OBJ files is definitely another huge plus using TE in my opinion, since more than once an object's texturing became uglier because of the ****ty way the classics handled textures. The option to use UV mapping is a life saver.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 16:08   #92
-Roli-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I'm hoping that the project will be completed using TombEditor eventually since the work flow is much better and much easier/faster and now that we have the Room Import/Export function, making better graphics also much easier. The option to use .OBJ files is definitely another huge plus using TE in my opinion, since more than once an object's texturing became uglier because of the ****ty way the classics handled textures. The option to use UV mapping is a life saver.
Exactly this + we are currently waiting for Tomb5Main, because TRNG is no longer updated and testers have random crashes all the way.
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-19, 11:05   #93
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Well while I don't speak for the whole team, I definitely think that the current 'transitional period' TRLE has been having, helped a lot in stalling progress. TombEditor (the replacement for NGLE) has quickly surpassed NGLE from when it first released and the new updates are constantly improving things but we still have some features missing/need full implementation. The lack for full NG scripting support is also getting the way a bit. It has come a long way but it still needs a few stuff.
What do you mean by lack of full scripting support? You can currently use all scripting with TE, with a few limits - plugin triggers need to be exported from NGLE and called through a TG in the script and NG Center is still needed to compile the script. Let us know if there are more/other issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Roli- View Post
Exactly this + we are currently waiting for Tomb5Main, because TRNG is no longer updated and testers have random crashes all the way.
Oh this is interesting! TR5Main might be worth the wait indeed.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-19, 12:41   #94
disapearing-boy

Another team member here, although I had stepped out of the project for a long while due to personal issues of my own.

Making textures can be a time consuming process - but recreating existing textures is sometimes harder (perfectionism aside) - first you have a decision to make : Is it quicker to make/paint a new texture or spend that time (hours?) researching ancient Egypt in the hope that you find the original artwork? If it were my own level I'd settle on artwork much quicker.

That photo reference may be good quality but it might need a lot of editing to match the highly saturated TR4 originals. I also spent a lot of time on the 'plain' textures - the difference between a random wall or ground texture vs. one heavily edited to resemble TR4 is night and day. These basic textures are used far more frequently in a level than the photos - they really set the tone of a level.

And with TR5main the possibility of having an even higher resolution like TR1extra is tantalizing - but I was working with a lower resolution from the beginning! Creating textures in 128 pixels required simplifying or removing detail before resizing to avoid noisiness in the smaller size. Which now might be redundant work if we go for the higher resolution. Not to mention finding the correct or better artwork after hand-painting a texture. Ugh.

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 29-05-19 at 13:09.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-19, 03:37   #95
VictorXD

^ That's why I was always made the textures at 256, I figured it would be better to have a higher resolution back up in case we might need them later than making textures at a tiny resolution.

Buuuut I don't think the 128x128 textures will be an issue really, we can use one of the new AI upscaling softwares to double their size. 128p is a decent enough resolution that the textures most likely won't be compromised in style/quality. And even that might not be needed at all, 128p can still look quite good in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
What do you mean by lack of full scripting support? You can currently use all scripting with TE, with a few limits - plugin triggers need to be exported from NGLE and called through a TG in the script and NG Center is still needed to compile the script. Let us know if there are more/other issues
Oh really? I must have missed that I could have sworn NG scripting was still being worked on, I didn't realize it was pretty much completed by now. Thanks for the update

btw you guys are doing great work!
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 16:54   #96
myckwill
Inactive

I think you guys are all geniuses from doing all of this, and I am so gratefull for your kind souls! hahahaha

If Tomb5Main will make your job easier and incresase the possibilitied on this game. I'm all for waiting!
It has been, indeed a long time. But, whenever is comes out, we will all play the s**t out of it!!

Our only concern, and I think I speak for all of us, is that this longer process may exhaust you mentally, and the project comes to no fruition.

I wish you guys the best of luck ^^
myckwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-19, 19:50   #97
JCGaming
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Wouldn't it be better to use AoD Lara (in TR4 costume) than FMV Lara?

Anyway it looks fantastic (except the monster FMV Teen Lara, that's terrible xDDD but faithful).
Aod Lara looks very similar to TR4 FMV Lara so why would you go to the bother of using Aod Lara instead
JCGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 19:54   #98
New Dwight
Inactive

so this will be made now in TR5 engine instead?
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 20:13   #99
ggctuk

Was the bump really necessary? After almost eight months, it made it appear there was some news.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 00:57   #100
New Dwight
Inactive

yes it was coz i do not know of it, thought was canceled. and if confirmed it will tr5 engine since its tr4 game. unless all puzzles from tr4 are going be ported to tr5 engine via tr5main.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote