www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 31-05-20, 10:47   #1271
pawelek115
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
I agree with this 100%. But we're on a gaming forum, where he posted to share his project and garner opinion. I am allowed to share my opinion on why I think him chasing pretty much unachievable things is futile. And it's obvious that he wants to get feedback and release this project, so noting the lack of updates isn't unreasonable.
It's only been a month since the last news from him, so we can patiently wait for the situation to develop.Time will explain everything

HD textures were also supposed to appear until TR 4, but there hasn't been any news there for over a year, so work has probably been suspended completely.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=217026
pawelek115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 11:05   #1272
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. But we're on a gaming forum, where he posted to share his project and garner opinion. I am allowed to share my opinion on why I think him chasing pretty much unachievable things is futile. And it's obvious that he wants to get feedback and release this project, so noting the lack of updates isn't unreasonable.
This, yes.

But this:
Quote:
Case and point, the last update we got on Nevada was over a month ago, nearly two. Next to no progress is being made.
No. We're on a gaming forum yes, but people are still fans, doing things in their spare time. They're not a company. A month without activity does not mean anything, and people shouldn't be pressured into doing what they do just because other people are asking for it. It's just the best way to take the fun out of it for the project makers and burn them out.
Plus, 1 month is really nothing. 1 year, why not. Maybe even after let's say 3/6 months without news you could ask for how the project is going if you're interested. But just giving up because there hasn't been news, or progress for a period of time is stupid.
I'm remaking AOD animations for TRLE, and I'm really having fun doing so. But there has been times where I've not been doing anything for weeks, even months, just because I didn't feel like it, or didn't have enough free time for it. It could also have been any other personal reason. Last time it happened in my case, I pushed an update in November 2019 and didn't do anything until April 2020. 4 months. It didn't mean I gave up, it only meant I needed a pause during that period, and then the motivation came back and I've pushed several updates again. I'm not being paid by anyone for it, and I wouldn't want to so I don't owe anything to anyone, and I'm not going to feel bad if people were begging for progress and blaming me for not working fast enough. And this is exactly the same for this project, or any other project in the community. Even if there is 1 month, or 2, or even a year without progress, then so be it. If GiovanniLucca needs a break, or decides to cancel, or keeps working but wants to wait before giving another update, or he even if he just doesn't know yet, in the end he's the one who makes the decision. And we have to respect that. He's a fan like any other, not a company.

Last edited by Joey79100; 31-05-20 at 11:06.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 14:13   #1273
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
I agree that Giovanni forcefully wants to improve the whole game so much that he seems to forget the plain limitations that the engine has. It's dangerous terrain indeed if you ask me. I advised against that a few times, but he seems determined to try and do that anyway. Which is fine of course, since it's his project originally. But it's not the vision I had.
Damn, that really sucks to read... of course nobody here is getting paid to do any of this and therefore should not be rushed to do this or that, but it's understandable that all of us in this thread are TRIII fans and would love to get our hands in the game as soon as possible. I never paid my mom to bake me cakes but every time she'd start baking one I'd go up to her asking "is the cake ready yet?" hahaha I think it's a similar thing here. We're all anxious and looking forward to this project's completion.

However, from TRJTA's response, that almost begs the question if it wouldn't be easier to just.... redesign TRIII on Level Editor instead? With the next gen addition, LE is much more capable of handling Giovanni's ideas, but although I have no game design experience, the sheer thought of remaking an entire TR game bit by bit is a vision of hell and it gives me anxiety already hahaha. I don't think anyone wants that, so I just wish we can keep the original goal when this remaster began in the first place, instead of trying to turn TRIII into Metal Gear Solid 3 or something hahaha
Old 31-05-20, 19:20   #1274
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
No. We're on a gaming forum yes, but people are still fans, doing things in their spare time. They're not a company. A month without activity does not mean anything, and people shouldn't be pressured into doing what they do just because other people are asking for it. It's just the best way to take the fun out of it for the project makers and burn them out.
I totally agree with this statement. Giovanni is working alone on this project, just for fun, it's a hobby not a job. People who just come and peek shouldn't demand progress/updates like as if they have paid for it. They're not part of the team and they're not working on stuff that depends on Giovanni's work, so there's no reason for them to rush him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
I pushed an update in November 2019 and didn't do anything until April 2020. 4 months.
Actually, isn't it at least 5 months then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
However, from TRJTA's response, that almost begs the question if it wouldn't be easier to just.... redesign TRIII on Level Editor instead?
At the moment? No. You can make the game look like TR3, but it will never play like it. Enemies, traps, vehicles won't work etc. Maybe if someone made plugins to include all of that, but that would require a lot of work. Another possibility is that maybe when tr5main is released we will be able to create complete remakes of TR1-5, but definitely not with TRLE/TRNG.

Last edited by Caesum; 31-05-20 at 19:26.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 16:03   #1275
Jamise_Croft
Explorer

The mod works perfectly well but how is there a way to activate the antialiasing?
Old 01-06-20, 21:09   #1276
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
I don't like where this project is going at all. It literally just started with replacing textures, making the game look all nice and pretty. Now there's all this talk of bump maps and complicated texture work on a game from the 90s where it would look out of place. Now the Lara model is being changed and that's taking ages.
The bump mapping and lighting are just baked into the textures, though. TRIII doesn't (and can't) support any of those effects. Those improvements still come down to replacing textures, as you said.
---
I'm all for the added improvements to the textures. It seems the slow down in the project is because Giovanna is experimenting with new meshes for Lara and experiencing glitches due to limitations. At the end of the day this is just a fan project and Giovanna has no obligations to meet. He should do whatever he likes and have fun with it!

It would be nice if he and Bob could come to a compromise as Bob was clearly making some stellar improvements. But as Caesum said, sometimes teams don't work out and that's just how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamise_Croft View Post
The mod works perfectly well but how is there a way to activate the antialiasing?
There's no native way that I know of, but some graphics cards can force anti-aliasing on 3D applications.

Last edited by Kapu; 01-06-20 at 21:11.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32   #1277
Jamise_Croft
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
There's no native way that I know of, but some graphics cards can force anti-aliasing on 3D applications.
I tried with my nvidia but it does not work :/
Old Yesterday, 15:31   #1278
JAMJOOM
Hobbyist

Unhappy super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Can't we have this Queen back?

She was honestly the best version yet!
I totally agree with you. Please don't change it too much.
JAMJOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:35   #1279
JAMJOOM
Hobbyist

Default super

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
The atual state of the water is more transparent, but I must admit that we can't compare an 1998 engine where there's no features such as reflection, refracions, proper transparency and displacement with the real life. I'm trying my best with just what I have, that is plain pictures, all the effects I made in the water are just an image with some tricks to resemble water... And although I apreciate your feedback, I'm certain that the water is an absolute evolution on what we have on the original version of the game!

I raised the animation frames from 8 to 16, but still the animation isn't smooth enough as I wanted, but I'm afraid to raise it to 32 and have some issuies with the engine, as I don't know your limitaions!

If someone know how much texture pages is the maximum for TR3 let me know!

Here is a sample of the dirty river on Jungle level:

perfect
JAMJOOM is offline   Reply With Quote