Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 30-11-19, 19:02   #11
Ward Dragon
Golden

My overall impression of TR5 is meh, although I love the Ireland levels. Now, for the list of things I hate that popped into my head immediately:

The bugs, especially in the last level of VCI. I literally needed a walkthrough to find out where I could save the game without triggering one game-breaking bug or another.

The tightrope and parallel bars. Not bad ideas on paper, but the implementation was terrible.

I found the Rome and Submarine levels to be repetitive and boring. It's a weird irony that I think the game overall was too short, but I also think most of the levels were too long XD I think they should have shortened Rome and the Submarine and then maybe have an additional area that's something different, like jungle or desert. The story was a disconnected mess anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if they shoehorned in another random memory that fits at some ambiguous and/or contradictory point in the timeline.

The whole thing with Larson and Pierre dying twice really confused me until I realized that TR5 Rome is supposed to come first and therefore their TR5 deaths must be a mistake. I initially thought it was the other way around because I could believe they survived getting shot, but getting eaten by a dragon or falling off a cliff both seem pretty definite to me.

Also, the rest of the story sucked too but I forgot the details until I read other people's posts in this thread I agree with the criticisms, especially that really weird scene with teenage Lara about to take off her shirt. That was just creepy.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 19:49   #12
trfan16

- Lack of innovation compared to the previous TR games - At least the previous TR games always added a few gameplay mechanics or platforming elements to the game like new stunts or vehicles for Lara to ride. What does Chronicles add? Tightrope walking, which was not really a good addition to begin with.

- Losing your inventory between levels was lame. If the game is going to have four separate storylines that are not connected in anyway, might as well let us choose which story to start out with.

- Lack of traps - Where all the traps in this game? It felt like the only type of trap we can encounter the whole game is the occasional spike trap. I guess there's those laser traps they rehashed from Nevada in TRIII. Considering the amount of creative traps TRIV had, I expected better.

- Bringing back unkillable swarm enemies from TRIV (rats, bats, etc.).

I use to complain about the story telling in this game, but I kind of grown fond of the anthological plot in this game. There were some weird plot inconsistencies like Pierre supposedly falling to his death Rome and then returning later in TRI. But this can be explained by the fact that the story is being told through the perspective of Lara's peers. At least the story is not a hot mess like Resident Evil 0.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 20:51   #13
LaraCablara

The way I interpreted the whole thing is that because it’s being told from the perspective of her friends, they don’t know all the exact details so that’s why there are inconsistencies and weird moments like that priest having his hair turned white.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 21:33   #14
JsotoTRSaga

I love Chronicles, However:

*Why on earth does Larson & Pierre show up again? didn't they die already?
*If this is before TR1 why does Lara look like she does in TR4? (Rome levels specifically)
*Some areas felt unfinished and you could clearly tell
*Some areas were rushed and you could unfortunately tell
*Non sensical solutions for the obstacles present in your way (the crowbar attack to the chef, the fire extinguisher, the zipline gun, the coin and the cursed mermaid etc. all non sensical, annoying and extremely hard to tell that is what you're supposed to be doing).
*Young Lara gets gloves when she has the torch.
*I expected a fifth level
*Unkillable bats
*The scene in Ireland where young Lara almost takes her shirt off didn't bother me much but I could have done without it since it doesn't really add anything of importance.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 30-11-19 at 21:39.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 21:57   #15
Anakzunamuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
That awkward tune that plays when Lara gets some weird sand item in the labyrinth? I thought it was my CD glitching out.

Someone here found out that if you slow down the audio you can hear chorus singing Hallelujah. Probably an inside joke from the team.

Anyway, i think that when you know what it is, it really fits the spooky atmosphere of the Black Isle section.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 21:59   #16
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I love Chronicles, However:
*If this is before TR1 why does Lara look like she does in TR4? (Rome levels specifically)
Ok this is kinda stupid, you wanted to have the triangle boobs Lara in the rome levels?
Graphics improved and so did Lara's model. What you're saying is like having TR4's Young Lara in SOTTR Home section just because the story was set when she was a child/teen lol

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 30-11-19 at 22:01.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 22:01   #17
JsotoTRSaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
Ok this is kinda stupid, you wanted to have the triangle boobs Lara in the rome levels?
Graphics improved and so did Lara's model. What you're saying is like having TR4's Young Lara in SOTTR just because the story was set when she was a child/teen lol
Not the triangle boobs, but her outfit and hairstyle was completely different in TR1 than it is in TRC's Rome.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 22:20   #18
SrDanielPonces

Her hairstyle looked like it does in TR1 for the reason that Sega Saturn's hardware couldn't handle the intended one, which is the one you can see in the FMVs
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 23:37   #19
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
you're so wrong for this thread.
i can take it for underworld and i can take it for shadow but leave chronices alone. i know the addy.
They be coming for classics because they be melting in the heat of Shadows roasting.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 23:49   #20
Samz

-No Dual Pistols in VCI.
-Turrets are invincible in VCI.
-Game generally too short.
-Red Alert! is a buggy mess.
-Traps are almost completely absent outside of (ironically) the Modern VCI building.
-Ireland is an uneventful Slog, that barely puts Lara's platforming (the only gameplay mechanic it can use) to the test.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote