Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 08-12-19, 07:03   #101
ggctuk

My biggest peeve is the lack of connection it really has to the previous two entries. Avalon, this supposedly mythical paradise that's connected to Arthurian legend becomes the hellish Helheim, instead connected to Norse mythology. It's implied there's a connection between Atlantis and Helheim but that's never elaborated on, nor is Natla's knowledge of the Midgard Serpent machine. Why go for the whole 'create mutant abominations' angle when you can cause the Seventh Age through the machine? And that's one other thing: the nature of the Seventh Age is never elaborated on. It's almost like she wasn't part of the story until after Anniversary came out. Then there's suggested plot points that were never followed up on (Tihocan being missing from his tomb) that may have been a consequence of Helheim originally not having a connection to Atlantis.

Also, what did Lara do with Excalibur? It's never explained.

Last edited by ggctuk; 08-12-19 at 07:08.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 10:39   #102
Nigel Cassidy

The entire reason that Lara is on this quest is retconned in the very first (chronologically) cutscene: at the end of Legend it was 'my father was right, and there is still time to do something about it' meaning: her mother is alive and there's time to get her back. And then at the start of Underworld it is: 'nah, I'm sure she's dead, I only want to know what happened'. Not only do I hate retcons with a passion, but it is a far less necessary and heroic goal to find out what happened than to actually save someone. I'm never gonna risk my life dozens of times if that was necessary to find out what happens in the final season of the Big Bang Theory.

And then when she does find out it is nothing but 'she got her and died... the end.' Gods, do I hate this incompetent story...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 13:42   #103
Athukraz

The treasure system is annoying. Way too many and they're useless and most of them are in jars in every corner of a room
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 13:53   #104
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
The treasure system is annoying. Way too many and they're useless and most of them are in jars in every corner of a room
Absolutely agree with you! Also they are very small, and it's hard to find, especially the ones located underwater.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 10:29   #105
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
The entire reason that Lara is on this quest is retconned in the very first (chronologically) cutscene: at the end of Legend it was 'my father was right, and there is still time to do something about it' meaning: her mother is alive and there's time to get her back. And then at the start of Underworld it is: 'nah, I'm sure she's dead, I only want to know what happened'. Not only do I hate retcons with a passion, but it is a far less necessary and heroic goal to find out what happened than to actually save someone. I'm never gonna risk my life dozens of times if that was necessary to find out what happens in the final season of the Big Bang Theory.

And then when she does find out it is nothing but 'she got her and died... the end.' Gods, do I hate this incompetent story...
I hadn't thought about that. So Legend ends with hope and Underworld crushes it from the get go :/
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 11:33   #106
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
I hadn't thought about that. So Legend ends with hope and Underworld crushes it from the get go :/
Accurate depiction of life
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 11:41   #107
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Accurate depiction of life
ily <3
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-19, 20:29   #108
majorleek

It was ambitious, very much so, with all of the next gen tech in it and it is very pretty. BUT it preforms poorer than AoD on consoles (and that isn't pretty) and the pc optimization is . Imo they didn't know what they where doing with what they where using.
Blso i think they could of done ALOT more with what they had gameplay wise. it was semi-open world but very og tr at the same time???
It was just a mess.
majorleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 08:14   #109
tempo

Hey guys! I found things to be appreciated about this game but that list is shorter than the issues it presented. I was replaying Legend again but thinking of playing underworld just felt a chore. So here are a few things I wasnt happy about.
  • Plot: this thing really was not planned for. As in, they did not consider what events would take place after Legend, when creating that one. The discrepancy between this and Legend is especially strange, since Lindstrom worked on both.
  • Underworld: it was rather underwhelming that underworld is just a blue cesspool. Also wasn't it a thing that people end up there after they die? Both Alister and Rutland died saying "See you in Avalon"?
  • Alister dying: It failed to operate as a dramatic plot point of any sort. Like I do get the idea that Amanda was tying to get even with Lara, hence why the same death scene was reenacted as with Rutland, but I am not sure why it was emphasized on several occasions that Lara is not too bothered by it. Like in the final scene in BTA where Zip says the Doppelganger killed him and it hardly registers while Lara is staring at that relic.
  • The Doppelganger nonsense: Just who came up with this. Like they had this short timeline and they are like "we better shoehorn this one in". It does not make too much sense in the narrative. Like the only event where it matters in the main game is that she uses the retina scanner, but really, it might as well could have been a different character. And what does it even mean to have an evil/bad/dark Lara. Lara does not seem to be inhibited by slave morality that this character represents the opposite to. And where does the Doppelgtanger's consciousness begins and ends? Even when possessed she has autonomous thoughts and journal entries and plans strattegically, but also blindly follows instructions? When shooting Alister, it seemed like she just took it upon herself to give him the glock, as opposed to doing the mission as a machine. Also was she created with those clothes or did Amanda and Natla decided that better put Magic Lara in tight pants.
  • Misallocated effort: Trivial things tried to one-up the previous games that do not really matter to me. Like new relic system, different art-style, mocap and new menu.
  • Natla: I am confident to say that she's one of the dumbest entity to be attributed a god status. She was just chilling in that jar all the time and she could not come up with a better plan. She also knew about the excalibur, the scion and the thor aparatus before Lara and Amanda and still managed to not win. Dammit. Also, I think the game would have needed more Amanda-Natla interactions to demonstrate their relationship.
  • DLCs: I only played the Lara's Shadow one out of curiosity, but the aesthetic and the blue thing kinda put me off, although it was nice gameplay. I am not sure about this one, but whats the deal with that machine with Natla uses? Like she just has been there before with Amanda to create the doppelthing? And also, why did they not create the doppelganger during Legend? It would have made sense you know.

Overall despite some advancements, this was an inferior experience to Legend.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 08:44   #110
Maverin

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempo View Post
read post
Hello Tempo and welcome to the forums

Great first post! I agree with everything listed. The whole storyline, including the characters were a mess.

They probably tried to please fans by bringing both Natla and the doppelganger back but it really backfired. It felt cheap, unnecessary and out of place.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote