Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 13-04-19, 02:00   #511
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I have discovered something new today about the TR2 engine... by accident.

What i wanted to experiment with, is having a timed switch trigger activate a music track, to inform the player that it's a timed segment.
But turns out you cannot activate music with timed triggers.
Then i thought: what about the switch activating a rolling ball and that rolling ball activate the music with a "item_at_sector" trigger?

And it turns out that doing that works perfectly...and when the timer runs out, the ball returns to its original position!

The only downside about having music in a timed segment, is that you can only use a track once, you would need to have copies of it and use a different track # slot each time. :\
In my last level released, I used the Thames Wharf Machine to use timed-segments and Item_at_sector as you say. Also I discovered that the Item_at_sector must be set "Only Once", because after the moveable stays on that sector, the trigger commands are triggered like a loop.
You can check my level if you want using the FexInspect tool.
I never believed that someone could discover the same trick I used!
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-19, 01:36   #512
Danath

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
In my last level released, I used the Thames Wharf Machine to use timed-segments and Item_at_sector as you say.
I never believed that someone could discover the same trick I used!
Haha nice!

I have found a way of having a music track activate in a timed run which begins under water, exactly when the camera stops pointing to the timed trapdoor that is out of the water and the camera returns back.
For that i'm using a rolling ball. The switch activates both the timed trapdoor and the ball, then the ball triggers the music exactly when it's needed.

So now i'm using a rolling ball room like in the TR4 levels.

5 minutes of gameplay for now, 18 rooms.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-19, 10:07   #513
thewolf
Golden

Feder used the same trick in Hidden Dagger and Templars Secret
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-19, 03:32   #514
DaroRaider

Quote:
needed.

So now i'm using a rolling ball room like in the TR4 levels.
The advantage of using the Thames Wharf Machine (in the case of tr3), is that you can create a path where the machine wants to go in case you want to make the timed segment very long, unlike the rolling ball that only goes in one direction (unless you use a quantity of rolling balls that are activated in chains but it is very expensive in number of moveables )

Last edited by DaroRaider; 15-04-19 at 03:36.
Old 18-04-19, 18:51   #515
Danath

Talking New "Talion guardian"

Our old friend the eagle guardian has received a facelift and now is a full eagle. Here's the result of last night's work, original one on the right:

Hope you like it

I got a pretty massive "idea dump" for the level when i was in bed ( funny how the mind works, huh? ) and now it's a matter of achieving all of that... and not run out of item space in the process.

Last edited by Danath; 18-04-19 at 22:37.
Old 18-04-19, 20:51   #516
DaroRaider

Danath, doesnt mind if you put an image of both, the original guardian and your customized moveable to appreciate better the artwork?
Seems you are fully motivated!
Old 18-04-19, 22:40   #517
Danath

Wink

Sure thing, just added an image of the original one.

Yes, i am quite motivated, but there's a slight problem. Topixtor was looking at the sword guardians and their flight behavior. If he successfully makes them fly well my design could change to include that, so i cannot go too indepth yet.
Old 18-04-19, 23:31   #518
Topixtor

Quote:

Yes, i am quite motivated, but there's a slight problem. Topixtor was looking at the sword guardians and their flight behavior. If he successfully makes them fly well my design could change to include that, so i cannot go too indepth yet.
Yeah looked more into it and found some interesting things... however as you know the AI isn't really that good so it's sometimes hard to notice when things work and when they don't...

Anyway, as of now, the Guardians work *Flawlessy* when in a single room (or series of) not connected to anything below/on the top.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-19, 23:42   #519
Danath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Yeah looked more into it and found some interesting things...
Anyway, as of now, the Guardians work *Flawlessy* when in a single room (or series of) not connected to anything below/on the top.
Mmm that's no good then, i was thinking of a setup that involved them crossing a small chasm, for example. :\

Thanks for looking into that in any case.
Old 19-04-19, 03:10   #520
DaroRaider

Quote:

Ah cool!
Indeed, it is possible to see how looks now the guardian of the Talion with the tweaking you made. Very good! Are you using an advanced painting software?

Yes, that's pretty cool you are working together with Topixtor.
Our community of tr1-tr3 classic engine design is pretty small, if we give a hand one to each other, will be of great help!