Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 11-06-20, 22:19   #1
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Default TR2 Gold: Widescreen not working with Peixoto Patch

When using Peixoto patch, widescreen works very well with regular Tomb Raider 2 and the pause menu background is transparent. In the Golden Mask however, the image is stretched and and pause menu background is the normal PC background with the red pattern. I have tried pressing tab to reset the aspect ratio but no sound plays at all. I am also using the "force native resolution" setting to maintain correct size hud and this is working correctly FYI. Can anyone help with this?
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 22:40   #2
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
When using Peixoto patch, widescreen works very well with regular Tomb Raider 2 and the pause menu background is transparent. In the Golden Mask however, the image is stretched and and pause menu background is the normal PC background with the red pattern. I have tried pressing tab to reset the aspect ratio but no sound plays at all. I am also using the "force native resolution" setting to maintain correct size hud and this is working correctly FYI. Can anyone help with this?
Last time I checked the other day when I was updating some of my docs I think that's also the same thing that happened to me. I also didn't have any music in Golden Mask using Peixoto's nor did Lara talk at the start of the training place in her house.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 06:39   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Afaik, Arsunt's patch also supports TRII Gold by now (at least the latest development version does), unfortunately there's some confusion about it, as it seems that Arsunt linked the wrong version in his post about it. People in the 'waving inventory' thread should be able to help you setting things up. If you use Peixoto because you want to use it to override textures, that won't help you, though.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 07:53   #4
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Afaik, Arsunt's patch also supports TRII Gold by now (at least the latest development version does), unfortunately there's some confusion about it, as it seems that Arsunt linked the wrong version in his post about it. People in the 'waving inventory' thread should be able to help you setting things up. If you use Peixoto because you want to use it to override textures, that won't help you, though.
How do you get the latest version of that without actually building the code yourself though? In the releases page there is an outdated version https://github.com/Arsunt/TR2Main/releases
Old 12-06-20, 08:46   #5
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
How do you get the latest version of that without actually building the code yourself though? In the releases page there is an outdated version https://github.com/Arsunt/TR2Main/releases
I plan to release the latest developer's build today. I need to finish few features first.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 16:51   #6
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
I plan to release the latest developer's build today. I need to finish few features first.
Hey Arsunt, do you mind telling me how to use your patch please, or linking me to somewhere that explains it. I tried to use it a few days ago but I was confused. Thanks.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-20, 09:23   #7
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Hey Arsunt, do you mind telling me how to use your patch please, or linking me to somewhere that explains it. I tried to use it a few days ago but I was confused. Thanks.
Okay, for anyone who didn't follow my project, here is changelog (you can see there many cool changes).

You can download the latest developer's build from this link. Download and unarchive ZIP.

First of all there is ExtraOptions folder. It contains REG files, that change some TR2Main settings in the registry. All files are safe, you can check them using notepad. Just double click any REG file to set an option. In the future releases there will be redesigned setup dialog with all these settings. For now there are just REG files.
Here are all ExtraOptions description.

Setup advice: Disable Triple Buffer and keep Z-Buffer enabled if you want good performance.
You can use F7 for Z-Buffer and Shift+F7 for Tripple Buffer to see the difference right in the game.
Upd: I removed Tripple Buffer option from TR2Main completely.

Here are all TR2 keyboard hotkeys.

If you use Steam or GOG, first cut all DLL files from the game folder and put them somewhere far away from the game. They may conflict with TR2Main somehow.

Copy some files from the TR2Main package into your game folder:
  • TR2Main.dll is the main file that makes all the magic.
  • tomb2.exe is almost original exe from 1997 with few changes to give all the power to TR2Main.dll. Never patch this EXE with 3rd party patches, you don't need them, everything that you may want, is already out of the box, including FOV, widescreen, even 4K support. Soon it will get external textures feature.
  • ffplay.dll is brand new FMV player based on ffmpeg project. It supports RPL, MP4, BIK and many other videoformats.
  • TR2Main.json is text configuration file that already allows to set custom watercolors, loading screen pictures, barefoot levels. All things are set to PS1 values, but anyone can edit it (by Notepad++ for example). This file will get even more cool features in the future.

Copy files from patch data folder to your game data folder:
  • barefoot.sfx is barefoot steps SFX pack. There are just 4 sound effects inside the pack, I took them from PS1 version, and remastered a little bit (high frequency range is restored). You must enable barefoot SFX by REG file if you want them.

Copy whole pix folder to your game folder. It contents:
  • Full set of PCX pictures for the original game and The Golden Mask including US/UK logo. You can select the logo version by proper REG file. No need to rename or delete picture files.
  • Remastered loading screen pictures in PNG format. All other properly remastered pictures are ready, and I will publish them very soon. You must enable remastered pictures and/or loading screens by REG files if you want these features.

Copy some files from your Golden Mask data folder to your game data folder:
  • LEVEL1.TR2 - LEVEL5.TR2, but don't copy ASSAULT.TR2 and TITLE.TR2. The original game files will be used instead.
  • TOMBPC.DAT must be renamed to TOMBPCg.DAT before copying. The original game will still use its TOMBPC.DAT.
  • MAIN.SFX must be renamed to MAINg.SFX before copying. The original game will still use its MAIN.SFX.
  • You don't need to copy any PCX files, because PCX in data don't matter for TR2Main if pix folder is presented.

If you want to copy your old saves into TR2Main, create saves and savesGold subfolders in your game folder. Copy savegame.* files that you need.
  • To launch normal game just run tomb2.exe
  • To launch setup dialog run tomb2.exe with -setup option. You may want to create shortcut for that.
  • To launch The Golden Mask run tomb2.exe with -gold option. You may want to create shortcut for that.

Last edited by Arsunt; 20-04-21 at 15:47.
Old 13-06-20, 13:54   #8
UroshUchiha

I just played around with TR2Main for the first time ever and everything works perfectly fine.
I used HQ Sound effect by noname , retextured levels by Hiroyuki, and also tried Nightmare In Vegas bonus level and they all work fine.
I know that there's a setting for TR2Main in Peixoto's tool but I didn't try that yet, not sure what benefit I'd get from that? Apart from iOS textures inclusion?

I also tried to compare TR2Main .exe file with Suikaze Raider's Updater and the first thing I saw that the TR2Main .exe doesn't have the fix for Marco Bartoli's scarf in the title screen. Which is hot a huge deal but would be nice if it was included in the future builds of TR2Main.
Old 13-06-20, 14:00   #9
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I also tried to compare TR2Main .exe file with Suikaze Raider's Updater and the first thing I saw that the TR2Main .exe doesn't have the fix for Marco Bartoli's scarf in the title screen. Which is hot a huge deal but would be nice if it was included in the future builds of TR2Main.
There will be completely remastered title screen in the PIX folder of the next TR2Main release. So you'll see whole title in very good detail and perfect color, not just a scarf.
Old 13-06-20, 14:57   #10
SLAYER

Finally playing in 1440p
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote