www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 19-07-19, 14:58   #3721
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

I've just got back from The Lion King, had enough time to digest what I saw to give my opinion.

First off, what are the critics smoking? They're acting like this is the worst thing ever and that is patently untrue.

Second, let's address the shot-for-shot remake claims. They're also false - at least to an extent. The opening and ending are pretty close to the original films and there are some scenes throughout that obviously reference the original film closely. But it's half-an-hour longer with some significant expansion and deviation of some of the material in the original film. There are even scenes that aren't in the original film at all (no Zazu in bone prison, folks).

My verdict is that it sticks faithfully to its source material without being too slavish in copying it. My biggest issues with the film stem from some of the delivery of dialogue. Oh, and Be Prepared. It was an obvious shoehorning in as it's literally the only song in the film that isn't a straight-up reprisal of the original.

Beyonce's new song 'Spirit' features prominently after the Mufasa Ghost scene. It's the only other one besides Be Prepared where I thought 'what are you doing?' It's not a bad song, but it doesn't fit Simba and Nala running through the desert back to the Pride Lands.

The characters themselves: the actors do perfectly well with them, though there were times I missed Ernie Sabella (Pumbaa) and Jeremy Irons (Scar) when there was a bad delivery. I will say that Scar actually seems more sinister in places, and less flamboyant than the Jeremy Irons portrayal. The hyenas are actually much more menacing, played as a threat rather than the villain's gag sidekicks.

The biggest thing for this film is the blank slate it provides. They can do anything with this now, and I really hope they get the chance. This is a world that deserves to be built on and if they do it right, the next film could be something spectacular.

So my final rating is 7/10, though it's a higher 7 than I thought I would give it. Some muddy choices mean it misses some points and the transition from animated format to photorealistic means some of the character of the original is inevitably lost, but it's nowhere near as bad as critics say and I daresay it has some pretty powerful moments.
Old 28-07-19, 03:47   #3722
JCGaming

I wonder how many people actually know that Walt Disney was a massive fascist.
JCGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 07:45   #3723
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Russi Taylor, the voice actress behind Minnie Mouse for 33 years, has died.

https://news.sky.com/story/russi-tay...ed-75-11772043
Old 30-07-19, 22:50   #3724
Cat Woman
Explorer

My friend and I saw The Lion King today and we really enjoyed it. We think it was very well done. The theatre was full. We can’t remember if we saw the original (maybe parts of it on DVD), but this version was very good.

Note: I know the animals are not real, but, they all seem very realistic. I couldn’t help but see the real lion Cecil that was killed by poachers in Africa (when we saw Mufasa and how beautiful he was portrayed in the film). It kept bringing tears to my eyes.
Old 08-08-19, 02:34   #3725
Cat Woman
Explorer

The Disney movie - Nora the Explorer - comes out this Friday here. Should be a fun movie.

Edit: In our paper today.

According to the cretics, at some time a live-action version of Dora the Explorer must have seemed like a good idea. Quote: But instead of taking her (and us) into a brave new world, Dora and the Lost City of Gold has a warning for all who venture into the theatre: Sometimes it’s better to stay home. Unquote.

I still think it will be a fun movie. Waiting for players feedback.

Last edited by Cat Woman; 09-08-19 at 21:52. Reason: Also, sorry for double post. Didn’t realize it.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 15:53   #3726
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Russi Taylor, the voice actress behind Minnie Mouse for 33 years, has died.

https://news.sky.com/story/russi-tay...ed-75-11772043
So we lost Wayne over 10 years ago and now we lose Russi. Wow. I hope her successor lives up to the role, but she was wonderful as Minnie and several other Disney roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
The Disney movie - Nora the Explorer - comes out this Friday here. Should be a fun movie.

Edit: In our paper today.

According to the cretics, at some time a live-action version of Dora the Explorer must have seemed like a good idea. Quote: But instead of taking her (and us) into a brave new world, Dora and the Lost City of Gold has a warning for all who venture into the theatre: Sometimes it’s better to stay home. Unquote.

I still think it will be a fun movie. Waiting for players feedback.
Just to point out, Dora is Nick Jr and not Disney.

Last edited by Jami393; 12-08-19 at 18:58.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 16:46   #3727
Cat Woman
Explorer

Thanks for picking that up. I could have sworn it was a Disney release.