Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 19-07-19, 16:59   #51
Caesum

It's not TRAOD's fault that it flopped. Instead, you should hate Eidos and Jeremy Heath-Smith for pushing Core guys to release new TR game every year and forcing most experienced TR people to work on TRC instead of a new title. It could have been any other TR game in such circumstances. TR2-4 didn't flop so hard only because they were all running on the same engine.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 17:19   #52
sasho648

Yo quit complainin and get rollin.

The best thing in this game is the roll mechanics which can be boosted to ultimate mode with either enabling nasty tank controls or my latest modification.

Just my 2 cents.

Though tbh lately I haven't played this game as much.

Instead I've been developing a divination program for windows 10.

Last edited by sasho648; 19-07-19 at 17:32.
sasho648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 18:53   #53
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
It's not TRAOD's fault that it flopped. Instead, you should hate Eidos and Jeremy Heath-Smith for pushing Core guys to release new TR game every year and forcing most experienced TR people to work on TRC instead of a new title. It could have been any other TR game in such circumstances. TR2-4 didn't flop so hard only because they were all running on the same engine.
I have always been skeptical of putting all the blame on Eidos because from interviews it seems like Core themselves were super mismanaged and were bad at prioritizing things.

I think a lot of people use Eidos as an excuse and dont want to acknowledge that Core was sort of a mess.

Last edited by LaraCablara; 19-07-19 at 18:54.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 19:05   #54
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
I have always been skeptical of putting all the blame on Eidos because from interviews it seems like Core themselves were super mismanaged and were bad at prioritizing things.

I think a lot of people use Eidos as an excuse and dont want to acknowledge that Core was sort of a mess.
I know apparently Core did actually get things sorted out to have at least a finished version of the game out but then Eidos cut the time short due to Eidos running low on funds.

Allegedly, the final agreed dead-line before they were cut short was Christmas 2003 but then Eidos made them release it July of 2003, which is significantly shorter.

I do think it was a mess on both sides but Eidos were responsible for the heavily rushed final release ultimately iMO.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 23:09   #55
JCGaming
Inactive

Quote:
Yes it was Eidos who pushed Core the release AOD when it was far from finished they did this so that the games release was near to the second films release but it backfired because when the second film failed to garner the success of the first one they blamed AOD for the faliure.
JCGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 03:24   #56
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
no u
But who's the real disaster then?
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 05:16   #57
nakamichi680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I know apparently Core did actually get things sorted out to have at least a finished version of the game out but then Eidos cut the time short due to Eidos running low on funds.

Allegedly, the final agreed dead-line before they were cut short was Christmas 2003 but then Eidos made them release it July of 2003, which is significantly shorter.

I do think it was a mess on both sides but Eidos were responsible for the heavily rushed final release ultimately iMO.
The game was originally planned to be launched in Christmas 2002. Eidos gave Core other 6 months when they delayed the release to summer 2003.
According to ex Eidos and Core employees interviews, it was a 50:50 responsibility of the fail.
nakamichi680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 08:00   #58
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I certainly am interested in knowing who exactly was behind of rushing AOD right out of the door from Core Design in that night from 2003? Maybe it was Ian Livingstone was it? Or whoever else who had this very stupid to force this game right out of Core Design. Who was it that did that? Do you know?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 08:22   #59
dg1995

And then what ? You want to send them hate emails ?

AOD wasn't really a rushed product because it was delayed 2 times from it's original release date.
The main reason that it was buggy was because Core wasted a lot of their time on features that fans never really asked for in a TR game.(Second playable character, Stealth , Dialogue tree , character progression , city areas with npcs.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 08:30   #60
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
And then what ? You want to send them hate emails ?

AOD wasn't really a rushed product because it was delayed 2 times from it's original release date.
The main reason that it was buggy was because Core wasted a lot of their time on features that fans never really asked for in a TR game.(Second playable character, Stealth , Dialogue tree , character progression , city areas with npcs.)
No I don't.

I just think ultimately making them release it shorter than the final after delays agreed-on Christmas 2003 release date is what ultimately in the end is responsible for the unfinishedness of the release game.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote