www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 22-07-19, 06:22   #21
bollweevil
Hobbyist

For me itís the explosive crossbows from a game called WET, which despite it being a mediocre Max Payne clone, is one of my favorite games. While the crossbows are a good weapon in the game, you donít get them until pretty late into the campaign. By then youíve probably already upgraded all your other weapons to be more effective, and unless you purposely saved points before you got the crossbows, you wonít be able to fully upgrade them. Even the fully upgraded crossbows arenít worth it unless you just want to purchase everything, because by then your almost done with the campaign.
bollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 06:31   #22
Baslakor
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
They are her "iconic" guns, there is no excuse to be this weak.
They slow down a already slow pace and the Infinite Ammo doesnt help at all because it only drags out combat.

I get that Combat isnt the main focus of the game, that its just there to spice up the formula a bit...but still, giving a character such weapons just for them to be the weakest and most boring ones to use, is not the best design choice.

Imagine the blades of chaos, master sword or so be the weakest weapon in the games.
Replaying the game you will notice how powerful the dual pistols are in the first levels. When enemies get stronger you'll find plenty of other weapons and ammo to kill them, but it's always nice to be able to fall back on the reliable dual weapons. A comparison with the Master Sword or Blades of Chaos simply doesn't hold up. They serve different purposes in completely different games. Criticizing the dual pistols is like criticizing hand-to-hand combat in most other games. Sure a rocket launcher will do more damage, but it's always nice to have them as a back-up.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 11:43   #23
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Replaying the game you will notice how powerful the dual pistols are in the first levels. When enemies get stronger you'll find plenty of other weapons and ammo to kill them, but it's always nice to be able to fall back on the reliable dual weapons. A comparison with the Master Sword or Blades of Chaos simply doesn't hold up. They serve different purposes in completely different games. Criticizing the dual pistols is like criticizing hand-to-hand combat in most other games. Sure a rocket launcher will do more damage, but it's always nice to have them as a back-up.
In which game? In the game where you kill spiders with 4 bullets, birds with 6?
Thats not really powerful considering double the bullets.

People always go about the iconic duals, hell this fandom fights over it...so comparing it with the iconic weapons of other characters is not that much out of place.
And in that comparison they are pretty weak.
GOW gives you plenty of other weapons but never makes the blades feel less special...Tomb Raider does.
They even get more ineffective in the games the farther you progress.

Of course its nice to have them as back-up, thats not the point of this topic.
The point is bad weapons in video games and the duals are absolutly that.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 12:23   #24
Lord Lulu
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothlegend View Post
FFX's legendary weapons. Although the point is to get them and unlock their OP abilities, the quest at that point is just asking way too much. Without a guide they're a hassle to get and even at that point you have to find *two* scattered artifacts to get them to even remotely have a purpose
And yet, every time I play Final Fantasy x I always get the ultimate weapons.

Int the Armored Core games, the rockets were pretty bad. Mostly from how they are aimed. The damage wasn't good enough to pick over missiles. At least from what I remember.
Old 22-07-19, 13:20   #25
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR FAN 18 View Post
Borderlands 2

Elephant Gun - Sniper rifle that is hard to aim with because it has no scope.
A sniper rifle without a scope is pointless unless it can be modified, I've played Borderlands 2 and I never got the elephant gun, it is possible to pull off a shot to the head without a scope, I did it plenty of times in Days Gone before I was able to buy the most powerful sniper rifle in the game, I got lucky with some of the shots not knowing exactly where the sniper was and because there was a tree blocking my view.

Other times the sniper's laser sight gave away his position making him an easy kill.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 13:38   #26
Ashnod
Professor

Does anyone remember any weapons from the first Mass Effect aside from the Spectre-class weapons you get later in the game?

No?

That's because it has so many reskinned weapons whose stats are literally just slight modifications on damage vs. overheating capacity. It was game where for the most part, you just kept swapping out anything with lower DPS because killing shields and barriers quickly was paramount to survival.

That's why in Mass Effect 2, the developers made considerable effort to make sure every weapon looked, felt, and functioned differently from the other weapons in the same class, and continued this philosophy into Mass Effect 3.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 13:48   #27
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
They are her "iconic" guns, there is no excuse to be this weak.
They slow down a already slow pace and the Infinite Ammo doesnt help at all because it only drags out combat.

I get that Combat isnt the main focus of the game, that its just there to spice up the formula a bit...but still, giving a character such weapons just for them to be the weakest and most boring ones to use, is not the best design choice.

Imagine the blades of chaos, master sword or so be the weakest weapon in the games.
They give you a reason to be acrobatic. I freaking love it when they go from bam bam bam but then when Lara flips around they go babam babam babam from Lara shooting each one in a rythrm. I always flip around to get that sound of the duals doing that. I love them a lot in the classic games and usually only use them unless an enemy is really trouble. (I'm looking at you atlanteans)
Old 26-07-19, 22:23   #28
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Attempting to not repeat anything that's been said:

Dead Rising, both the first and second game give you easy access to powerful weapons right out the gate, so unless you don't bother looking around even a little, many weapons feel pointless. I mean, has anyone not found the katana and SMG near the start? Special mention to the large chainsaw.

The SMG from Bioshock feels pretty lackluster most of the time. It doesn't do well against anything. First few enemies you fight after getting it are really weak, so it's hard to notice at first.

The Bat Bat from Don't starve requires a bunch of resources for a very lackluster weapon. The lifegain doesn't even make up for the fights taking longer than if you just used a dark sword or whatever.

In Left 4 Dead 2, the SCAR is pretty pathetic compared to other tier 2 weapons, and honestly even tier 1's. Shout out to realism mode, where the magnum makes nearly everything else obsolete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
SMG in Tomb Raider Legend, Its got way too little ammo pick-ups and the rifle beats it in literally anything with the only thing the SMG beats it at is having 10 extra bullets before reloading.
Actually the SMG is far more accurate, and has a faster fire rate and max range. It doesn't get much ammo, but it is better than the Assault Rifle when you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
Resident Evil 5 had a few bad weapons. Like the Dragunov SVD (RIF), VZ61 (MG) and Proximity Bomb come to mind.

I didn't like the assault riffle from Halo either.
Dragunov bad? uhh... Headshots are guaranteed kills against all normal enemies and it's semi-automatic, making it much more practical than the bolt-action. The other rifle is mostly better, but you don't get it till near the end of the game. The machine pistol has it's uses too, I mean it's capacity is equal to two whole slots of ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
The knife every Resident Evil game, first chance I got I always dumped it in an item box and left it there, imagine playing RE2 remake on hardcore difficulty with the only weapon you can use being the knife with access to all the other weapons disabled good thing there wasn't a trophy that said you had to do just that.
The knife is bad in plenty of the games, but RE2Make is not one of them. Super easy to finish off zombies with it once you knock them down, and it's a free grab escape tool to boot. Speedruns also make use of it against certain bosses due to it's damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
in Tomb Raider: Harpoon gun and revolver.

Harpoon gun is useless, and takes too much time to reload. The revolver is good for anything. Percise shots can be done with the crossbow, which has 3 different ammo; plus, I find the double pistols more effective, than the revolver.
Revolver has far superior damage than the pistols though, literally same as the dessert eagle from 3. A bit unnecessary, since the game lacks difficult enemies that aren't immortal, granted.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 23:24   #29
Lord Lulu
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
Dragunov bad? uhh... Headshots are guaranteed kills against all normal enemies and it's semi-automatic, making it much more practical than the bolt-action. The other rifle is mostly better, but you don't get it till near the end of the game. The machine pistol has it's uses too, I mean it's capacity is equal to two whole slots of ammo.
It has been a long time since I last used the Dragunov SVD. If I remember correctly it had a lot of sway with the aiming. So it was always body shots. The VZ61 does have a use. But I never found it to be as effective as some of the others. At lest not on it's own.
Old 27-07-19, 01:28   #30
matrix54
Tomb Raider

The Ammo Box in Resident Evil 6.

The TMP kicks ass in RE4 against bosses, having the highest DPS of any weapon in the game, while being weak enough to deliver head shots to normal enemies for melee+Knife attacks and not waste ammo. It’s so good it’s Hunk’s only weapon.

The VZ61 in RE5 was an absolute downgrade, only having superior critical hits above all over machine guns (except Jill’s PX4), but the Ammo Box takes the cake. Oh my goodness... the weapon is absolutely horrible. It’s eats up ammo and isn’t really good at anything. It results in tons of wasted ammo... and time. It’s the absolute worst in Mercenaries. The triple shot is far more consistent.

Last edited by matrix54; 27-07-19 at 02:14.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote