www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-07-19, 10:28   #51
tomee
Tomb Raider

Watching Crystal do the same dumb, dysfunctional marketing as well as their hardheaded, stubborn attitude towards fan feedback from the outside this time and see the reaction to it is kind of delicious. I wish them the best of luck, but...

Old 21-07-19, 12:05   #52
suli

I thought Shadow's promotion methods were a failed experiment that taught them a lesson. lolz.

They're really shooting themselves in the foot.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 08:31   #53
jackoimina
Explorer

Haha kind of came here to leave a wtf comment about Avengers marketing after Shadow fiasco but I see everyone else is thinking the same thing xD
Old 22-07-19, 08:55   #54
Underhoe
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Watching Crystal do the same dumb, dysfunctional marketing as well as their hardheaded, stubborn attitude towards fan feedback from the outside this time and see the reaction to it is kind of delicious. I wish them the best of luck, but...

That girl with the ponytail looks so much like Lara though! Why can’t they get her look right in-game??
Old 22-07-19, 09:03   #55
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Any promo events are funded and organised by the publisher: that’s why I never understood people ragging on EM for the SoTR events as they had no say in what happens that was all down to SE.

Personally I want the Avengers game to do extraordinarily well. I’m not a fan of the avengers in any capacity, although if it’s a spider man/batman like game I will play it, but I would like a new cash cow for SE to rinse dry instead of TR. I would like another franchise for CD to develop instead of TR and Avengers has potential to fill those boots. It’s not as though if Avengers does well we won’t get TR: we may even get a more relaxed environment for a more classic style as it won’t be the main horse in the race being endlessly flogged anymore.

Last edited by jajay119; 22-07-19 at 09:10.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 09:48   #56
dg1995
Hobbyist

As a person that doesn't follow gaming news that much, the new Avengers game didn't make me interested due to this that characters don't look like their movie actors.

For marketing, I think that's more SE problem than Crystal Dynamic/Eidos Montreal.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 15:14   #57
ActuallyArlow
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
As a person that doesn't follow gaming news that much, the new Avengers game didn't make me interested due to this that characters don't look like their movie actors.

For marketing, I think that's more SE problem than Crystal Dynamic/Eidos Montreal.
Its always like that in super hero games. Injustice 2 had face models but none of them looked like the actors. Would have been cool to see Henry Cavill in a videogame.
Old 22-07-19, 17:12   #58
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuallyArlow View Post
Its always like that in super hero games. Injustice 2 had face models but none of them looked like the actors. Would have been cool to see Henry Cavill in a videogame.
It's because they'd have to get the rights to the actor's likeness.

And that probably makes it a pain to re-release/keep the game on digital storefronts.

Its like licensing a product/song to appear in your game, that means you have to re-license it every time it expires or the game has to go down.

Its why games like Driver: San Francisco or the Getaway series aren't on Digital storefronts, they got car licensing, which while awesome, also means they aren't being re-sold because those are expensive to get.

Last edited by Samz; 22-07-19 at 17:15.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 08:21   #59
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
So they are keeping up with that spineless closed door promotion. What a complete joke they are.

They are considering other developers' feelings so they don't make them "cry with envy"... So nice of them.

Or maybe they're just not confident in their product... With good reason. I mean I would be embarrassed to show that outdated **** too.
Old 27-07-19, 19:00   #60
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
They are considering other developers' feelings so they don't make them "cry with envy"... So nice of them.

Or maybe they're just not confident in their product... With good reason. I mean I would be embarrassed to show that outdated **** too.
Well, games as a service is generally a bad idea. It's not going to be a smashing success for all of them. I mean, just look at Anthem's failure. After Anthem, people are more skeptical to "live service" games too. People know that it's not a consumer friendly business model, and is mainly structured that way only for the companies to make easy money through shady microtransactions. It's just lazy game making.

What we've seen so far from the leaked gameplay isn't great. It looks like a typical Crystal Dynamics game with the same boring formula, and having closed events to show off the game doesn't make anyone have real confidence in them.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote