www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 02-03-17, 18:08   #1
TR1249
Archaeologist

Default AOD was released at the wrong time in gaming (in my Opinion)

I've been thinking about this a while now and I think it was made/released at the wrong time. If you look what they planned for the game (like big Hubs aka the Ghetto) and other things, they were ahead of their time.

Back in the day you couldn't do big levels (except for GTA which hadn't the best graphics back then) and since they aimed for good graphics etc. and also the hardware not being like today, it didn't worked. Nowadays you have games like the Reboot or Rise which have these big hubs with no loading screens between them. So we got loading screens every 2 seconds and if AOD was released today, we would've had maybe just big Hubs like they planned with the Ghetto for example.

Another point is the fixing of games. Back in the day you couldn't patch/fix games on the PS2 like nowadays. They released patches for AOD on PC but they patched not much like patches do today. Let's take The Division or No Man's Sky for example. Ubisoft released that huge 1.4 Patch for TD with lots and lots of fixes or even new content. Same happened with No Man's Sky recently. They put so much content into the game with just one single patch. Imagine this with AOD and how they could've put content into the game which was cut or unfinished. Sadly it couldn't be done back then.

To summarise this long post: I think AOD was ahead of it's time with the planned features etc. and released in the wrong time of the gaming industry. I think AOD would be amazing nowadays with more detailed graphics, big hubs and maybe more features.

What's the opinion of other members? Would you agree with me or disagree? Tell me, I really want to know
Old 02-03-17, 19:07   #2
wearemany
Archaeologist

I agree. The game that Core Design was planning to release was definitely ahead of its time. Sometimes I watch videos showing early gameplay of this game and can't help but feel sad about the potential that Eidos robbed from us fans. If they were given more time, at least six months, it would be much better and perhaps the best TR game of all time. But what we had isn't even remotely good compared to the games that came before and after it.
Old 02-03-17, 19:08   #3
tomee
Tomb Raider

Those loading screens in the Parisian Ghetto will forever puzzle me. They definitely had waaay larger areas load at the same time no problem later in the game. The Monstrum crimescene for example. Cutting up the ghetto into 5 distinct sections in comparison to the larger sections later in the game looks weird if you ask me.
Old 02-03-17, 19:12   #4
wearemany
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Those loading screens in the Parisian Ghetto will forever puzzle me. They definitely had waaay larger areas load at the same time no problem later in the game. The Monstrum crimescene for example. Cutting up the ghetto into 5 distinct sections in comparison to the larger sections later in the game looks weird if you ask me.
What puzzles me the most is the lack of dual pistols. Why couldn't they just make it a pickup like in those levels where Lara starts unarmed in the previous games instead of making it a combination of pistols found in separate levels? Because that's what I heard they were trying to do and failed miserably.
Old 02-03-17, 19:30   #5
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Well, what puzzles me is that TR1-5 levels were way bigger than any of AoD. I can asume they took less resources (in proportion) but THAT MUCH???

Also I agree the game was ahead of its time. Not only because of the development problems, but even if the game was completed, it would have been ahead of its time. A console game with so many traits of nowadays console games and some PC games of that time (action adventure with RPG elements and HUB levels, stealth, weapon modification, dialogue systems... reminds me of something :P ) it would have been either rejected or loved.

In my case, I would have loved it. I already love the unfinished game we had.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 19:31   #6
dinne
Archaeologist

I don't like when after a game are releaser other expansions or patches, I want the final official version only (even if this implies a bit of time), for the rest: spin offs. But this is only me.

I agree that AOD would have worked well in this era and its mood represents the nowadays society (like Underworld represented the young darkish/gothic/emo flow in 2007-2010). Unfortunately it was only the last attempt of a depressed Core. In fact, if Lara is supposely risen from the desert, for Lara it would have been a super sparkling rising! But they wanted to "kill" Lara to quit the franchise with TR4, so in AOD they couldn't put enthusiasm (nor in Chronicles). This resignation is typical of today's era with the chrysis so it would have been more proper today.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 22:20   #7
peeves
Sage

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Well it is quite sad that so much potential was lost for this game. Otherwise it woulda been even better than it is now. Also The deleted levels from this game I assume they were gonna be in the 2 core games that came after AOD but those are now cancelled.
Old 02-03-17, 22:33   #8
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Definitely, I definitely think AOD was ahead of its time and needed heaps of extra time to perfect.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 22:42   #9
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
I don't like when after a game are releaser other expansions or patches, I want the final official version only (even if this implies a bit of time), for the rest: spin offs. But this is only me.

I agree that AOD would have worked well in this era and its mood represents the nowadays society (like Underworld represented the young darkish/gothic/emo flow in 2007-2010). Unfortunately it was only the last attempt of a depressed Core. In fact, if Lara is supposely risen from the desert, for Lara it would have been a super sparkling rising! But they wanted to "kill" Lara to quit the franchise with TR4, so in AOD they couldn't put enthusiasm (nor in Chronicles). This resignation is typical of today's era with the chrysis so it would have been more proper today.
It's partly true, they were sick of Tomb Raider but wanted to keep Lara. That's why they didn't have the enthusiasm to make TR5 (at least, not as a big game), but they wanted to make AOD to stop with Tomb Raider. But Eidos wanted them to continue with Tomb Raider cause it was a big title, it sells well (well, it was meant to).
Old 03-03-17, 14:15   #10
larafan25
Sage

100%

I agree.