www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-07-20, 16:56   #1
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Default T-Rex: Stop being cute

Ok, I was just now thinking about it, and I guess we TR fans can always use something new to rant about for no good reason hahaha

Does anybody else feel like the T-Rex in TR Anniversary looks... cute? I mean, I remember being super scared of the T-rex in TRI as a kid, even though it was comparatively smaller, but the one in Anniversary just doesn't do it for me. It reminds me of Toy Story's T-rex and from the day I got my hands on the game, I couldn't bring myself to take it seriously. It was just kinda chubby, a very cute kinda green and just overall cute.
Compare it to the T-Rex from Dino Crisis 2 (released in 2000): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEMpf-9Z7s (skip to 2:55). That one actually looks like it could potentially murder you.

Whilst we're at it, I honestly feel like the only TR Anniversary boss that felt remotely threatening was the legless monster when we destroy the scion. Natla was kinda... sexy (in her own way I guess), the centaurs didn't feel like something threatening to me, and while I don't think TR was ever a game made to be gory, the first three games had some REALLY scary moments. TRI was completely bizarre in many parts, TRII had the floating Islands and those jade statues coming to life, TRIII had all the dead people floating in the india levels. TR was never a game that was afraid of the fear/scare factor, but I was wondering if y'all agree TR Anniversary was comparatively really cute and tame and a totally missed opportunity for that reason
Old 10-07-20, 17:22   #2
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
Ok, I was just now thinking about it, and I guess we TR fans can always use something new to rant about for no good reason hahaha
You just wait for TombRaidering to teach you a lesson about TRA...

Quote:
Does anybody else feel like the T-Rex in TR Anniversary looks... cute?
beware of the danger
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 17:43   #3
indigo1993
Hobbyist

omg that almost made me spit out my food hahahaah he's just there all cute like "hmmm Im gunna chomp chomp you hooman" haahahahahaha
Old 10-07-20, 17:45   #4
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
beware of the danger

I found the perfect soundtrack to go with this video. Just play the video on mute and leave this playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_oNIwWS5Ms
Old 10-07-20, 18:11   #5
TombRager
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
You just wait for TombRaidering to teach you a lesson about TRA...

beware of the danger
HAHAHA he looks like a green fat raptor!
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 18:29   #6
Mek
Student

I think that the T-Rex from Tomb Raider: Anniversary can be perceived as cute. It has something like that. Actually, if you look at it, the entire game has been led in this direction. This is also another element of Anniversary that differs from the original Tomb Raider.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 22:32   #7
Ahmier
Archaeologist

His little arms. Now that you mention it, some of the enemies have a soft and adorable nature to them.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 23:58   #8
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
I think that the T-Rex from Tomb Raider: Anniversary can be perceived as cute. It has something like that. Actually, if you look at it, the entire game has been led in this direction. This is also another element of Anniversary that differs from the original Tomb Raider.
Yeah they definitely watered down the adult nature of Tomb Raider across the whole LAU trilogy, especially Legend and Anniversary. It was all a bit more tween-friendly and much lighter in tone; less gore and bone-crunching Lara deaths, less eerie atmosphere, a slightly warmer and more mellow Lara.

I think in the original Tomb Raider Toby Gard said they deliberately tried to make the animals look as vicious and hideous as possible, maybe to make you feel less bad about killing them idk. In Anniversary it's more realistic.

One of my biggest gripes in Anniversary is how much they toned down Atlantis. The concept for the original is so freaky and very striking, the idea of being inside this island made of living tissue, so much of it is made out of flesh meshed into the rock, rivers of blood everywhere. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that anywhere else either, it's very unique and original and it's sick, absolutely disgusting and jarring, but memorable.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-07-20 at 00:04.
Yeauxleaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 02:46   #9
TombRager
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
One of my biggest gripes in Anniversary is how much they toned down Atlantis. The concept for the original is so freaky and very striking, the idea of being inside this island made of living tissue, so much of it is made out of flesh meshed into the rock, rivers of blood everywhere. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that anywhere else either, it's very unique and original and it's sick, absolutely disgusting and jarring, but memorable.
Really haven't played through Atlantis on Tomb Raider Anniversary yet, but yes, on the first game it's definitely gruesome. I thought Atlantis would be some kind of underwater lost city only to be greeted with that. The heartbeat that keeps playing through the level and the monsters suddenly coming out of their nests really added to the creepy atmosphere.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 18:37   #10
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

I was bummed out by the redesign of Atlantis, too. The flesh island was SO out there and freaky in TR1, whereas the "old stone temple" look in TRA was tame and predictable. I saw someone point out that a "T for Teen" rating likely wouldn't have flown if Crystal made Atlantis totally meaty in PS2 quality graphics, and I was like "yeah, ok, that's probably true."
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote