www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-07-19, 05:11   #26441
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

If they did not want to remove it I'm pretty sure they would've just straight up said it already. "We are trying to be respectful to the cultures SOTTR portrays and so we are making a conscious decision to keep the restriction". Exactly like they did with both duals and shorts, they weren't in the game for artistic choices and they owned up to it and we're honest with us.

Morrigan has already said they are looking into it and doing what they can. The CM wouldn't say anything among those lines if the reasons for not removing the restriction were purely of their own choice.
Old 10-07-19, 05:19   #26442
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Actually I think that the restriction will be removed. I just think they have encountered a lot of setbacks along the way, including a shortage of personnel so that's why it's taking so long. I also don't discard the possibility of waiting for a DE/8th DLC to be one of the reasons it hasn't been released yet (assuming it's ready).

Maybe not on your machine or not using that technique to get into Paititi, but there has been a video showed on here once that using tactical adventurer caused the game to not trigger certain events/cutscenes. If a game can't progress because of a bug it's a game breaking bug.

That is kinda the thing with buggy stuff made with spaghetti code: it might not always crash or get buggy, but sometimes a certain chain of specific events can trigger the glitches to occur. One example I can think of right now was the grenade ammo bug in Resident Evil remake.

So they need to make sure to fix everything before releasing an update and saying 'the outfit restriction is gone now peeps', because if a pretty serious bug CAN occur (not that it necessarily will), then removing the restriction can be seen as 'pointless' or a bad decision.

I Imagine that a lot of testing is going on to make sure little bugs related to wearing non tribal outfits on Paititi, and testing takes time. We also have to keep in mind that: there is only a small (I'd guess one, two people tops) amount of people still working on the coding part of Shadow, while the bulk of it is working on Marvel's projects and probably other unannounced stuff. It's hardly a wonder it's taking so long.
That’s just making excuses for them. For absolutely no reason you’re assuming there would be game breaking bugs with the removal and that’s just not the case at all. It absolutely would make the game’s story scenes “less realistic” but given the fact that the game already has supernatural elements, Lara is able to scale entire cliffs in sandals and absolutely no protective gear on, I’d say they never should’ve bothered with that realism in the first place.

It is a simple matter of just deleting some code. This is what I believe and I promise you it’s the case.

Edit: Honestly some people (not necessarily you) that are perpetuating this “It’ll break the game! The restriction is a very very hard to remove line of code” myth kinda comes off as “I know Morrigan reads these forums and I’m trying to score some browny points by blindly defending them.”

That’s just how I infer it anyway.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 10-07-19 at 05:22.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 05:20   #26443
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
i actually do not think they are removing it. it's july the last patch is already collecting dust.

i dont think they spend so many ressources to get rid of it (though i too do not think it is that hard to remove, they were able to let you use every tribal outfit instead of the blue heron tunic. they could label every modern outfit as tribal in the code and it would work the same. the engine doesnt have eyes and cant tell you, you're lying by labeling a modern outfit as tribal.) they just clearly do not want to remove it and they know that sooner or later everyone will stop begging.
We don't know exactly how they are coded. You could already wear those tribal outfits and the skins you just couldn't talk to people. I imagine changing that small detail is easier then changing the restriction itself. It would be that simple and easy if the restriction was built around certain tag phrases or certain commands.

However the way Morrigan explained it doesn't at all foretell the restriction working along a few set commands or parameters within the code. It could very well be hard baked into the source code which would make changing it much more difficult because one change along the source code could change a lot of things and break certain things which is in line with what Morrigan said.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think we underestimate to what extent this restriction is applied.
Old 10-07-19, 05:23   #26444
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

“Hard baked into the source code.”

lol yikes.
Old 10-07-19, 05:24   #26445
Retrowave
Hobbyist

I'll agree that I have a hard time buying the 'extremely difficult coding' excuse for outfit restrictions. The devs have the right to do what they want, but the idea is just flimsy. There's no way a character model change is breaking the game.
Retrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 05:26   #26446
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrowave View Post
I'll agree that I have a hard time buying the 'extremely difficult coding' excuse for outfit restrictions. The devs have the right to do what they want, but the idea is just flimsy. There's no way a character model change is breaking the game.
But that character model change also impacts certain events like interacting with people or being able to explore certain places.
Old 10-07-19, 05:27   #26447
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
But that character model change also impacts certain events like interacting with people or being able to explore certain places.
Exactly. So they should remove that restriction.
Old 10-07-19, 05:29   #26448
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Exactly. So they should remove that restriction.
That's probably what's breaking though. Whatever events that trigger or work with certain outfits maybe what's breaking when they use outfits that weren't programmed to work with them.

I mean it shouldn't be that hard to believe given how they just straight up ripped the models for the skins and we can see just how poorly they were incorporated.
Old 10-07-19, 05:29   #26449
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
That’s just making excuses for them.
It's not.
Quote:
For absolutely no reason you’re assuming there would be game breaking bugs
I've already given an example that EXISTS and can be found somewhere on the forum. I'm not making anything up.

Just because the bug hasn't happened happened TO YOU, does it mean it doesn't exist.
Quote:
It absolutely would make the game’s story scenes “less realistic” but given the fact that the game already has supernatural elements, Lara is able to scale entire cliffs in sandals and absolutely no protective gear on, I’d say they never should’ve bothered with that realism in the first place.
That doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying tbh.

Quote:
It is a simple matter of just deleting some code. This is what I believe and I promise you it’s the case.
If you are so knowledgeable about coding than surely you know that deleting stuff can cause a domino effect? That completely deleting one thing can affect something else entirely that you had no idea it could (which is something that happens)?

You are also assuming that it's ONE line of code. You are completely disregarding information callbacks, engine limitations, memory leaks or even the fact that the restriction might be more embedded in the game than we know.

You accuse me of making stuff up yet you're the only one guilty of this. You can't promise me that it's deleting one line of code when you are not familiar with the Foundation engine at all, and from what you are saying I'm not too sure you are that familiar with coding and programming at all either.

Last edited by VictorXD; 10-07-19 at 05:30.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 05:34   #26450
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
It's not.

I've already given an example that EXISTS and can be found somewhere on the forum. I'm not making anything up.

Just because the bug hasn't happened happened TO YOU, does it mean it doesn't exist.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying tbh.

If you are so knowledgeable about coding than surely you know that deleting stuff can cause a domino effect? That completely deleting one thing can affect something else entirely that you had no idea it could (which is something that happens)?

You are also assuming that it's ONE line of code. You are completely disregarding information callbacks, engine limitations, memory leaks or even the fact that the restriction might be more embedded in the game than we know.

You accuse me of making stuff up yet you're the only one guilty of this. You can't promise me that it's deleting one line of code when you are not familiar with the Foundation engine at all, and from what you are saying I'm not too sure you are that familiar with coding and programming at all either.
Exactly, I haven't built video games, but I have worked on websites when I took web design and I can defiantly assure people that just simply deleting one line of code can most defiantly cause a domino effect and break a lot of things that seem unrelated.

Same exact thing happens in Excel spreadsheets. Deleted a certain programmed formula could break the entire calculation method that was designed for the spreadsheet.