www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 29-06-19, 12:40   #11
PhryneCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Depends on how strict the rules are. I would be up for making a classic level if I can use my own textures. I'm planning to expand the classic texture sets so there are more transitions and options for builders.

Something like this which I made last night:

There isn't a transition for leaves on rocks to leaves on sand in the original Egypt texture set so I'd be up for using a challenge as an opportunity to do more of this stuff.

That looks great , of course you can make transitional textures. This gives you better options for designing your level.
Old 29-06-19, 13:06   #12
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I'm a sucker for classic levels, we should do a small competition for each game, TR1 to TRC, each with a set texture pack and wad, though I also have an idea which could involve doing a similar thing but then having the levels people have made put into one big trle game with a hub level as central access to said levels to make a sort of story to it in a way.

The hub could consist of 5 separate areas/rooms which are in the style of one of the classic games, for example: TR1's hub area would look like Peru or Greece that plays the TR1 theme while you are inside to indicate to the player which game the levels are based off and you just enter one of the doorways to proceed to one of the available levels made by a fan.

I suppose how the levels could tie in to the hub is by having an item needed to be collected at the end of each level that can be used in the hub to unlock a more important item that will be used to get to the end of the game itself, for example: TR1 levels that are created could have a cog at the end of each level, which can be used in the TR1 hub area to unlock access to a main item which will be needed in order to gain access to the end of the game.

Finish Level = Gain Puzzle Item = Use in current game hub = Gain Key Item (5 Total) = Use in main hub = End Game

Its just an idea for now but I think it would be fun to have.
Old 29-06-19, 13:17   #13
MBog
Archaeologist

That would make a great comunity level ^^^^
Old 30-06-19, 03:18   #14
Feder
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
I'm a sucker for classic levels, we should do a small competition for each game, TR1 to TRC, each with a set texture pack and wad, though I also have an idea which could involve doing a similar thing but then having the levels people have made put into one big trle game with a hub level as central access to said levels to make a sort of story to it in a way.

The hub could consist of 5 separate areas/rooms which are in the style of one of the classic games, for example: TR1's hub area would look like Peru or Greece that plays the TR1 theme while you are inside to indicate to the player which game the levels are based off and you just enter one of the doorways to proceed to one of the available levels made by a fan.

I suppose how the levels could tie in to the hub is by having an item needed to be collected at the end of each level that can be used in the hub to unlock a more important item that will be used to get to the end of the game itself, for example: TR1 levels that are created could have a cog at the end of each level, which can be used in the TR1 hub area to unlock access to a main item which will be needed in order to gain access to the end of the game.

Finish Level = Gain Puzzle Item = Use in current game hub = Gain Key Item (5 Total) = Use in main hub = End Game

Its just an idea for now but I think it would be fun to have.
We should add a crystal to pick up on each level and we have ourselves a Crash Bandicoot game
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-19, 14:41   #15
AgentXP
Archaeologist

Wow lots of people seem keen for this. Given that there does seem to be interest, I’m happy to host to a second 'Create a Classic' competition? Not sure if I will be able to complete a level myself this time, but like I said, I’m happy to start a thread again etc. (Maybe even organise some kind of prize for the winner... )

To answer Feders query, I think any engine should be allowed, same rules as last time, so TR2/3 engine or TombEditor for building if people want

Last edited by AgentXP; 30-06-19 at 14:44.
AgentXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-19, 14:45   #16
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

It would be fun to build a level for this, although I think it's the wrong time for me. Got plenty of other levels I need to finish
Old 30-06-19, 15:04   #17
AgentXP
Archaeologist

^ I'm kinda the same, which is why I'm not promising to finish a level myself.

However, I can see there may be an appetite for this, with the absence of BtB this year. @Lore I belive it was the case last time, so don't see an issue with some NG features...as long as your level still feels classic.

@Reggie the main rule last time was use of classic textures only, but new transition textures from the classic textures WERE allowed
Old 30-06-19, 15:14   #18
PhryneCroft
Hobbyist

I would be very happy if it worked, that would be a good substitute for Btb this year. (Could you also start next year)
I already have a good idea for a classic level
Old 30-06-19, 15:52   #19
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

I'm up for building a level this summer (who knows... maybe using this competition for my South Pacific level... )
I think starting in a few weeks would be awesome, also this is the time where people tend to be more free to work on something, and I dont want to wait until next year for working on this
Old 30-06-19, 17:22   #20
DJ Full
Professor

Speaking of this summer, I'm adding 10 trucks of water to this level...