www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 01-07-19, 07:25   #1
KyleCroft
Professor

Default Exporting textured objects to OBJ format.

Hey guys! I know I've posted this in two help threads, but with no responses I thought maybe a thread would work better.

I have my objects textured in my wad file using STRIPX as usual, and I'm wondering how I can export those objects, so that they remain textured, into an OBJ file so I can then reimport them into a different program where they will retain their textures.

Could anyone point me to the correct way to convert a textured object in a wad, into its own OBJ file? Thanks so much!

Last edited by KyleCroft; 01-07-19 at 07:38.
KyleCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 16:37   #2
not again!
Explorer

The key point is to assign the textures properly to the model and I'm not sure there is a quick, straightforward way to do this with a model that was exported from Strpix without having to replicate the texture-each-face-individually process in the 3D modelling software of your choice.

If you use Meta the endeavor is (maybe?) a bit more easy - the documentation for sapper's editwad outlines a process to get models from a wad with the texturing intact into Meta involving a tool called TextureAdd, and I think it works similar for MQO files exported from Strpix. In Meta you should be able to assign the Strpix textures properly to the model and export everything as OBJ, but I'm not a Meta user, so hopefully someone who does will chip in. (edit: thinking a bit more about this, maybe getting the model into Meta with texturing intact is really all you need to export it as OBJ with working texturing?)

2. edit: I downloaded Metasequoia 4 and did a quick test run, because I was curious myself if it was possible to get original TR models straight from a Wad with texturing as OBJs into Tomb Editor quickly. It works without further ado if you export the model as MQO using sapper's editwad.

I could not get it to work by exporting from Strpix_rev18s (and comparing the MQO files exported by editwad and Strpix in a text editor, they look quite different and the one put out by Strpix does not work for our purpose). And as it turns out the free version of Meta4 does not allow you to export as OBJ anyway, but fret not the MQO file exported with editwad can be imported into Blender, too, which then lets you save your model to any popular 3D file format known to man. For free.
Thing is there are several MQO plugins for Blender and I need to look up which one it is I got installed (not all them work with the later versions of Blender) and where I downloaded it from. I'll get back to this later after I can say for sure.

3. edit:

so what you need is:

editwad
TextureAdd
Blender 2.79b
MQO plugin for Blender
: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=CE4C74...4C74EDA2A73245 - you need the last one: mqo_script_268 (and here's a short, helpful tutorial how to install Addons in Blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9JOEaVJu4&t=0m38s)

- make a new wad with only the model you want to convert to OBJ.
- open it in editwad and export the model to MQO
- open the wad in TextureAdd, select in the menu bar Edit > Texture Pieces > Export All (you need all the textures as individual images, not as texture page) and save them to the same folder where you saved the MQO file.
- start Blender and select in the menu bar on top File > Import > Metasequoia (.mqo) and import your model.
- Now you don't need to do anything else besides exporting as OBJ, which you do by selecting File > Export > Wavefront (.obj).

Now you can import your model into Tomb Editor with following settings: change scale from 1.0000 to 100.0000 and untick invert z -axis.

Last edited by not again!; 01-07-19 at 21:49.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 06:12   #3
KyleCroft
Professor

Oh man! Thank you so much for this helpful response! I'm going to give this a try and report back. I can't thank you enough for taking the time out to help me with this!
Old 02-07-19, 07:39   #4
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
2. edit: I downloaded Metasequoia 4 and did a quick test run, because I was curious myself if it was possible to get original TR models straight from a Wad with texturing as OBJs into Tomb Editor quickly. It works without further ado if you export the model as MQO using sapper's editwad.

[/img]https://i.imgur.com/ICrBFsEl.jpg[/img]

I could not get it to work by exporting from Strpix_rev18s (and comparing the MQO files exported by editwad and Strpix in a text editor, they look quite different and the one put out by Strpix does not work for our purpose). And as it turns out the free version of Meta4 does not allow you to export as OBJ anyway, but fret not the MQO file exported with editwad can be imported into Blender, too, which then lets you save your model to any popular 3D file format known to man. For free.
Thing is there are several MQO plugins for Blender and I need to look up which one it is I got installed (not all them work with the later versions of Blender) and where I downloaded it from. I'll get back to this later after I can say for sure.

3. edit:

so what you need is:

editwad
TextureAdd
Blender 2.79b
MQO plugin for Blender
: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=CE4C74...4C74EDA2A73245 - you need the last one: mqo_script_268 (and here's a short, helpful tutorial how to install Addons in Blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9JOEaVJu4&t=0m38s)

- make a new wad with only the model you want to convert to OBJ.
- open it in editwad and export the model to MQO
- open the wad in TextureAdd, select in the menu bar Edit > Texture Pieces > Export All (you need all the textures as individual images, not as texture page) and save them to the same folder where you saved the MQO file.
- start Blender and select in the menu bar on top File > Import > Metasequoia (.mqo) and import your model.
- Now you don't need to do anything else besides exporting as OBJ, which you do by selecting File > Export > Wavefront (.obj).

Now you can import your model into Tomb Editor with following settings: change scale from 1.0000 to 100.0000 and untick invert z -axis.
This is very interesting! Might be worth turning into a small tutorial
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 07:57   #5
KyleCroft
Professor

It worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!

And yes, this deserves to be a tutorial!
Old 02-07-19, 09:15   #6
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

Actually you can save models as .obj in Metasequoia, but you need a registered version
This tutorial is heaven, thanks a lot! I'm curious to try this out too
Old 02-07-19, 15:36   #7
not again!
Explorer

Glad it's helpful! I'll just add download links to all the needed tools and pack the actual relevant part of the post in a post of its own that can be linked to then as mini tutorial.
Old 02-07-19, 16:18   #8
not again!
Explorer

This short tutorial outlines the workflow how to export a model from a TRLE (Tomb Raider Level Editor) Wad with textures to Blender for the purpose of converting it to OBJ file format (or any other 3D file format of your liking) so it can be loaded into Tomb Editor as imported geometry.

Tools needed:

editwad
TextureAdd
Metasequioa 4 (registered version, free lets you save models only in MQO format)

or

Blender 2.79b
MQO plugin for Blender: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=CE4C74...4C74EDA2A73245 - you need the last one: mqo_script_268 (youtube tutorial how to install Addons in Blender)

• make a new wad with only the model you want to convert to OBJ
  • open the wad in editwad and export the model to MQO (see the documentation that comes with the programm for a step-by-step guide)
  • open the wad in TextureAdd, select in the menu bar Edit > Texture Pieces > Export All (you need all the textures as individual images, not as texture page) and save them to the same folder where you saved the MQO file
  • start Blender and select in the menu bar on top File > Import > Metasequoia (.mqo) and import your model
  • Now you don't need to do anything else besides exporting as OBJ, which you do by selecting File > Export > Wavefront (.obj).

Now you can import your model into Tomb Editor with following settings: change scale from 1.0000 to 100.0000 and untick invert z -axis:

Old 02-07-19, 16:54   #9
AkyV

^Wouldn't you post it in the tutorial section?
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 18:07   #10
not again!
Explorer

ah, I didn't realize anyone can make a thread in the tutorial section, since most seemed to be posted by mods. I'll gladly post it there, then.