www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 10-07-19, 12:51   #1
DragonSlayer
Professor

Default Good TV shows that had bad seasons

Every TV show has a bad season so what TV shows did you think had bad seasons?

Please try and keep the spoilers to a minimum so as not to potentially ruin a TV show for someone.

Even though I haven't seen it yet I predict that Game of Thrones final season will probably get mentioned a lot

FutureMan season 2 the first season was great plenty of scenes then came the second season which it seems was subjected to a sense of humour bypass, out went the funny parts and in their place 3 disconnected story arcs that didn't really go anywhere, let's hope that the third and final season is a major improvement over the second season.

Homeland season 6 far too much of season 6 was given over to a fake news story arc that dragged on for way too long and it wasn't helped that the guy behind the fake news story arc was played by a guy with the most irritating voice ever, in one episode a scene with the guy with the annoying voice dragged on for 20 minutes but it seemed like forever, thankfully the show got back on track with season 7 plus annoying voice guy only appeared once in season 7.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 13:17   #2
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

GoT, to get the obvious out of the way.

Teen Wolf. The first season is legit dreadful.
The Office US really ran out of breath in its last few seasons.

Hm, I can't actually think of many shows with bad seasons. Bad episodes would make for a lot easier question, I'd just list nearly every show in existence.
Old 10-07-19, 13:30   #3
Ashnod
Professor

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had some catastrophically bad seasons, some uneven seasons, some good seasons that were still marred by terrible moments.

It's interesting that a show that is so loved and so praised is ultimately so uneven narratively and thematically.

It's an example of just how strongly the audience can connect to its characters, see themselves in those characters and identify with them so completely, either as themselves or the people in their lives, that the flaws of the show are often overlooked or conversely considered part of the show's charm.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 13:39   #4
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

Most Star Trek shows only got any good after season three. I feel like they’re similar to Buffy: Both are shows/franchises that experiment a lot with storytelling. Some experiments worked out really well. Some, not at all.

One must never forget that Dallas had an entire season so bad that they brought back a character who previously died and declared the whole thing just a dream.
Old 10-07-19, 13:48   #5
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Lost comes to mind, The Vampire Diaries too. Both lost their touch midway their runs. Honestly, it's almost inevitable to have a bad season(s) in shows that have 20+ episodes per season, when they last for a couple of seasons
Old 10-07-19, 13:51   #6
Mani_Man
Professor

I think no show can constantly stay good, there are always seasons that are less strong than others.

Once Upon a Time had a few very bad seasons, its one of my favorite shows but god damn some of it is horrible.
Especially since often they dont used the full potential of the story.

HIMYM, GOT have noticeable bad seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
Buffy the Vampire Slayer had some catastrophically bad seasons, some uneven seasons, some good seasons that were still marred by terrible moments.

It's interesting that a show that is so loved and so praised is ultimately so uneven narratively and thematically.

It's an example of just how strongly the audience can connect to its characters, see themselves in those characters and identify with them so completely, either as themselves or the people in their lives, that the flaws of the show are often overlooked or conversely considered part of the show's charm.
Yeah its crazy because i think in Buffy you see the difference in quality quite strongly.
I think the most noticeable is the sudden change of style in season 6, after the musical episode it turned really dark and disturbing down the line.

Season 7 also is one i would consider really bad, i love the Buffy/Spike stuff...but the rest is really not great.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 14:53   #7
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

As much as I love it, Friends was really losing steam as it went on. By around season 7ish many of the characters start getting so flat and one-note, it becomes not only far less funny but also irritating in some cases (Joey's scenes in particular).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 10-07-19 at 14:56.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 15:06   #8
biscuits
Professor

Modern Family started losing steam for me in the fourth season. I really loved the first three seasons of that show.

Game Of Thrones started going downhill once they ran out of books to adapt. I don't need to mention season 8 lol

Season 5 of X-Men: The Animated Series really sucked.

Orange Is The New Black also got really bad around season 4. The first two seasons are the only really good ones if I'm being honest.

Last edited by biscuits; 10-07-19 at 15:13.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 15:10   #9
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
As much as I love it, Friends was really losing steam as it went on. By around season 7ish many of the characters start getting so flat and one-note, it becomes not only far less funny but also irritating in some cases (Joey's scenes in particular).
100% They started off a little cringey and snarky in the first season then really started to hit their stride. I usually guage the start of the fall around the time Mike arrived on the scene.

But apparently in the early days David and Jennifer were offered a bigger paycheck than the others (because of their higher popularity) which they turned down so there was no resentment among the cast. Massive respect to them for that as that decision probably delayed its fall by years.

Last edited by redfox45; 10-07-19 at 15:11.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 15:25   #10
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
100% They started off a little cringey and snarky in the first season then really started to hit their stride. I usually guage the start of the fall around the time Mike arrived on the scene.
It's a gradual thing I think. It actually starts quite early for Joey (probably around season 5ish), with the over-reliance on the "haha Joey is unbelievably dumb!!!" gags. Which is disappointing, because I loved Joey's character earlier on and I have a major love of "how you doin?" Anyway, then it's like the rest of the characters gradually follow, by having their individual little quirks overplayed to hell. But yeah by the time Mike shows up it has pretty much gone to **** for me. I could really do without the last couple of seasons. I find them watchable enough if I just want something on the TV in the background, but they really pale in comparison to the earlier seasons.

Quote:
But apparently in the early days David and Jennifer were offered a bigger paycheck than the others (because of their higher popularity) which they turned down so there was no resentment among the cast. Massive respect to them for that as that decision probably delayed its fall by years.
Yeah I did hear about that, I thought that was really cool of them and definitely would have saved some conflict. Considering all 6 do get more or less the same screen time it's only fair really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Season 5 of X-Men: The Animated Series really sucked.
I can't remember which episode was in which season They seemed to show them in any random order on Fox Kids, even when I watched them as kid.

(Millennials will remember Fox Kids, haha)

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 10-07-19 at 15:45.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote