www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 17-07-19, 03:09   #1
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Misson to the Moon

"That's one small step for Man. One Giant Leap for Mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

50 years ago, on July 16, 1969, the Saturn 5 Rocket Booster, a creation of unprecedented size and a Marvel of Engineering took one Lunar Module and 3 Astronauts to the Moon and in doing so, showed Mankind the potential it has to create and achieve what some people may deem the un-achievable.

Those famous words spoken by Astronaut Neil Armstrong inspired countless others in pursuit of a frontier beyond the scope of our own planet and still continues to inspires new Generation of Engineers and Explorers to this day.

I wanted to share this brief Youtube clip highlighting the details of the Apollo 11 Mission:

Last edited by Catapharact; 17-07-19 at 13:48.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 08:50   #2
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Since this is teh interwebs, waiting for someone to post the moon landings were faked...

Considering the way things are going, the next boot that stamps down onto the lunar surface is likely to be Chinese.
Old 17-07-19, 10:45   #3
redfox45
Archaeologist

They were so excited at the time, apparently they said "by the 1970s we'll be having holidays on the moon"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 10:59   #4
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Considering the way things are going, the next boot that stamps down onto the lunar surface is likely to be Chinese.
I think the issue is now because there's no Space Race anymore, there's no incentive for us to go out into Space as much. So I expect as well for the Eastern world to end up doing more on this side of things.

Maybe that will trigger another Space Race.
Old 17-07-19, 17:24   #5
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

The Chinese will probably wait until we have a serious financial crunch before they make a play for the Moon.

15-20 years from now, we'll be trying to figure out how to pay for all the nursing care the baby boomers with Alzheimer's will need, and we won't have any extra money for space rockets.

Then they can cash in a bunch of the US bonds they hold, send the dollar even further into decline, and switch production from Walmart widgets over towards all the stuff they need for a Moon colony.
Old 17-07-19, 21:13   #6
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

I remember in 2011 I posted a message on a board on the 50th anniversary of the first human spaceflight by Yuri Gagarin. Time flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
They were so excited at the time, apparently they said "by the 1970s we'll be having holidays on the moon"
Yes in the 60's and 70's they predicted that by this time we got a base on the moon and flying cars and made First Contact.

Instead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post
I think the issue is now because there's no Space Race anymore, there's no incentive for us to go out into Space as much. So I expect as well for the Eastern world to end up doing more on this side of things.

There is a kind of space race going on between China and India.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 16:48   #7
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post

Pretty Much. People in general started losing interest in the Space Race after the Lunar Landings. The liabilities of sending people into space became a bigger problem after the two Space Shuttle Disasters; Even though there were two accidents among 135 Space Shuttle Missions.

Space Flights are costly. To put it in perspective, the Apollo 11 Mission cost about 25.4 billion Dollars. That is why the Space Shuttle Program was made; to create a more cost effective method of delivering people and stuff into space. And while the Space Shuttle Program was indeed way more cost effective when compared to Standard Rocket Boosters, it was still a costly program.

The Soviet Union's Buran Space Shuttle Program had promise but it was cancelled due to cost issues. Right now, we can only hope that Private Ventures such as the Space X program and Eastern Nations like China and India are willing to continue on Space Exploration because we need to continue on with it.

As for the Mouth Breathers who have the Audacity to say **** like "The Moon Landing Didn't happen," there have been numerous independent sources (including Russia) that have confirmed NASA's Lunar Landings. Its quite easy to be the douchebag that looks down on other people's accomplishments when you don't have the means to achieve them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
There is a kind of space race going on between China and India.
India will be launching their first probe to the Moon's South Pole on Monday:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48919572

Last edited by Catapharact; 18-07-19 at 16:59.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 13:58   #8
xtimz
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
Space Flights are costly. To put it in perspective, the Apollo 11 Mission cost about 25.4 billion Dollars. That is why the Space Shuttle Program was made; to create a more cost effective method of delivering people and stuff into space. And while the Space Shuttle Program was indeed way more cost effective when compared to Standard Rocket Boosters, it was still a costly program.
It is not that costly now. It was costly 50 years ago because the space flights should be large enough to hold numerous electronic devices. Now with the techniques of integrated circuits, space flights are much smaller.

In fact, the advances of computer science and information technology have changed a lot of things in these 50 years, including space programs. It is worth trying again to see how much it costs with all these technology advances.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 20:00   #9
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
It is not that costly now. It was costly 50 years ago because the space flights should be large enough to hold numerous electronic devices. Now with the techniques of integrated circuits, space flights are much smaller.

In fact, the advances of computer science and information technology have changed a lot of things in these 50 years, including space programs. It is worth trying again to see how much it costs with all these technology advances.
While its true that the cost of Space Launches has dropped down considerably since the Apollo 11 Mission, unfortunately, its still not cheap enough for most nations to venture out on a "luxury" expedition such as a moon Landing .

The India Probe Launch that I mentioned in my post above will cost around $150 million and that is only for an unmanned lunar probe. Now imagine how much more scaled up the cost will be when you send an actual module up to the Moon with people inside it. Considering the Life Support Systems alone for the crew, we are looking at a hefty payload and with the standard Rocket Booster configuration, the cost will only going to be more.

The answer to the issue of cost is a reuseable Space Craft and Payload Delivery System. What we need is an even more effective Space Shuttle Program. That is why investment in ventures like the Space X program is important. Experimentation with new Engines, and new Fuel Compositions might solve the cost issue for orbital Delivery Systems, which in turn will open up more cost effective possibilities for Lunar Exploration.
Old 21-07-19, 02:31   #10
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Well, faking a moon landing would be the cheapest option. Which you could do if you were an authoritarian Communist nation. The rest of the world might not believe it, but your own people would because you could make them.

You could shoot a big booster up with all the moon landing stuff on it and crash-land it robotically on the Far Side. Then film the astronauts "on the moon" in a studio, and fake their return landing in a remote desert. Maybe even with a remotely controlled pre-orbited landing capsule - empty, of course.

I was thinking of this because as a sort of tongue-in-cheek way I decided to watch Capricorn One again earlier this week, thinking of all the conspiracies around the Apollo landings.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/

If for no other reason, it's fun to watch because O.J. Simpson DOESN'T get away.