www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 20-07-19, 21:21   #1
trfan16
Archaeologist

Default Example of bad weapons in video games

What are some bad weapons from any video games you played? I'm mainly talking about weapons that are found during the main course of the game that might be too weak or useless by the time they are found. Or they could be a weapon that are too gimmicky and have no real use. I'm not necessarily talking about weapons that a character starts the game off with. For example, Heather Mason's Knife is probably one of the weakest weapons in Silent Hill. But its also one her starter weapons, so it kind of makes sense that the weapon is weak.

An old school example would be the Klobb in Goldeneye 007. There were a wide variety of weapons in this game, but the Klobb manages to be weaker than Bond's signature PP7. Both PP7 and Klobb use the same type of ammo too, so you're better off just using all the ammo you pick up for the Klobb for the PP7. Hell, you 're probably better off using Bond's slapper than the Klobb. The Klobb is so bad that it has become a recurring joke among Goldeneye fans.

Speaking of Silent Hill, the golf clubs that Henry finds throughout Silent Hill 4 are pretty useless to pick up IMO. Unlike other melee weapons in the game, the golf clubs will break after extended use. They might be somewhat helpful early in the game when Henry has weaker melee weapons, but they are essentially useless after you get the Rusty Axe in Building World. And there are still more golf clubs to collect later in the game after picking up the Rusty Axe. Not worth the inventory space to collect or use as a weapon.

What are some other examples of bad weapons?
trfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 21:41   #2
Samz
Professor

Tomb Raider 3's Uzi's, ammo is super limited and low damage, at least the Scorpion-X in AOD can drop enemies quickly compared to it's MP5 counterpart.

Bow in 2013, its literally outright worse than every other weapon aside from the fact its silent, which doesn't matter when most of the game doesn't really factor stealth in, and even with upgrades, the fact is merely upgrading the other weapons invalidates the bow's upgrades, armor pirecing arrows? well when getting two accurate headshots in with the rifle takes 2-3 seconds AND has a grenade launcher alt-fire and more ammo/rapid fire, its not worth switching to the bow.

SMG in Tomb Raider Legend, Its got way too little ammo pick-ups and the rifle beats it in literally anything with the only thing the SMG beats it at is having 10 extra bullets before reloading.

Colt Silenced SMG in Conflict: Desert Storm 1/2, Stealth isn't very well supported in them and considering how the weapon that it replaces is an Assault rifle with a grenade launcher, it basically gives you a few easier stealth kills but then when you have to go loud for the rest of the mission it's just a pure downgrade as you don't get 3 rifle grenades.

Axis Handguns in Commandos 2/3, Limited ammo unlike the Allied handgun but functions exactly the same, the fact that only one character starts without a handgun aside from 1-2 mission specific examples means most of the time, its not worth picking up as you already have the exact same weapon but with infinite ammo for almost all of your team.

Colt 1911 in Swat 4, it only has a little bit extra damage over the Glock and holds only 8 bullets instead of 17, in a game where you have limited reloading so its literally a handicap if you bring it over the Glock essentially.

Stun Gun in Oni, its short-ranged and uses energy ammo, which is better used reloading other energy weapons like the Plasma Rifle, the fact you can only have a single gun at any time means you'll simply generally pass it up for something with range.

Last edited by Samz; 20-07-19 at 21:44.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 22:00   #3
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

The harpoon in TR2. There was maybe one shark that you had to kill with it, for everything else it was always better to either swim past the enemy, or get out on dry land and shoot them with anything else from there.

In Half-Life 2, I remember I hated the Colt, probably because I lack the skill to shoot as precisely as I have to.

I'm not sure to what degree RPG weapons count as it always depends very much on your individual play style, but personally, I remember always being disappointed when I found some "legendary" weapon in Fallout 4 that did something or other to the VATS system. I found Fallout 4 to be a perfectly competent first-person shooter, and stopping it to do Excel instead never made any sense to me.
Old 20-07-19, 23:17   #4
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

This thing... Whenever I see it on the opposite team I'm terrified. It's outright broken where it's just not fun anymore...
Old 21-07-19, 02:43   #5
trfan16
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Tomb Raider 3's Uzi's, ammo is super limited and low damage, at least the Scorpion-X in AOD can drop enemies quickly compared to it's MP5 counterpart.

Bow in 2013, its literally outright worse than every other weapon aside from the fact its silent, which doesn't matter when most of the game doesn't really factor stealth in, and even with upgrades, the fact is merely upgrading the other weapons invalidates the bow's upgrades, armor pirecing arrows? well when getting two accurate headshots in with the rifle takes 2-3 seconds AND has a grenade launcher alt-fire and more ammo/rapid fire, its not worth switching to the bow.
Interesting, I wasn't thinking about guns where the ammo is limited and the gun itself is not very strong. I agree about the Uzis in TRIII too. Every other gun in that game (minus the Harpoon Gun) has some kind of use, but the Uzis feel like they were included only because they appeared in the previous 2 games. I don't think you can even reach the 1,000 range in ammo even if you play Nevada first after India. Some sections like Antarctica and South Pacific Islands have very few ammo for the gun.

This reminds me of the Ice Arrows in Ocarina of Time. You have to complete a bunch of trials in the Gerudo Training Ground to unlock the Ice Arrows. Almost all of the equipment you need is from the other main Dungeons though, so by the time you get the Ice Arrows you're practically done with the game. And there's nothing special about them at all in this game either, unlike the Fire and Light Arrows. Even one of the Gossip Stones tell you that the Ice Arrows are not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
The harpoon in TR2. There was maybe one shark that you had to kill with it, for everything else it was always better to either swim past the enemy, or get out on dry land and shoot them with anything else from there.
Forgot about the Harpoon Gun! I do use it in a few areas in TRII, mainly the Maria Doria levels. But it's such a weak weapon and you're better off shooting the enemies from land. The Harpoon Gun is completely useless in TRIII for me. There's only one level with a significant amount of underwater enemies (Lud's Gate), and you can just use the yellow submarine thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
This thing... Whenever I see it on the opposite team I'm terrified. It's outright broken where it's just not fun anymore...
I remember when AVGN did a review on the Light Gun and he had to use 3 or 4 different guns just to find one that works. My parents had one for the Master System and works pretty OK all these years later.
trfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 04:19   #6
Evil Doggos
Hobbyist

Any Halo 3 weapon but the power weapons. Those guns all feel like crap and I say this as a Halo fan. The weapon sandbox is terrible.
Old 21-07-19, 11:39   #7
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doggos View Post
Any Halo 3 weapon .
Beat me to it lol

Unfortunately 3 was the first and last Halo game I played because the weapons were THAT unsatisfying.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 11:56   #8
tomee
Tomb Raider

The Light Sword in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

It is a secondary weapon. Most secondary weapons (unlike primary swords) get damaged over time and you have to throw them away, then pick up new ones from fallen enemies. The premise of the light sword is that despite being a secondary sword it stays usable as long as you don't throw it away and it also has the highest damage output. This would be really useful in the final battle, except the caveat is that using the light sword also damages the prince for some reason. In fact, it inflicts so much self damage that I found it was impossible the defeat the final boss even with near perfect RNG, simply because I was killing myself faster than I was killing him. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to realize this and just discard the damn sword. This is kind of whack, considering the light sword is a hidden secret, but it's not really a good reward, not for boss battles at least that require extended use of it.
Old 21-07-19, 12:25   #9
Lord Lulu
Explorer

It is hard for me to remember the bad weapons. Though I could say anything I didn't use was bad.

From Perfect Dark, the reaper was a bad weapon. It had terrible accuracy.

Resident Evil 5 had a few bad weapons. Like the Dragunov SVD (RIF), VZ61 (MG) and Proximity Bomb come to mind.

I didn't like the assault riffle from Halo either.
Old 21-07-19, 13:04   #10
DragonSlayer
Professor

The grenade launcher in either TR2 or TR3, I forget which grenade launcher it was but one of them had grenades that bounced all over the place once they were fired reducing Lara's health when the grenades would detonate near her.

It was the same story in the GTA4 DLC, the grenades would somehow just bounce off their target and detonate nowhere near the intended target in one mission I had aimed the grenade launcher at a window intending to take out the target or targets inside the building only for the grenades to bounce off the wall of the building, also police officers were somehow able to survive grenades detonating right next to them, that really me off in GTA4.

The knife every Resident Evil game, first chance I got I always dumped it in an item box and left it there, imagine playing RE2 remake on hardcore difficulty with the only weapon you can use being the knife with access to all the other weapons disabled good thing there wasn't a trophy that said you had to do just that.

Weapons that take a long time to reload, not a good idea where bad guys come at you in waves while you have to keep someone alive Far Cry 3 I'm looking at you, the weapon was the M249 I would have settled for a weapon with a little less firepower if it meant faster reloading, it didn't help that the guy I had to keep alive couldn't aim a gun to save his life and almost always died during the long time it would take for the gun to reload.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote