Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-02-19, 21:08   #21
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I like your suggestions Chamayoo!

The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is your implementation of the hand to hand combat. While I do want to see that in a future game, I don't think it needs to be as complex as you described. I was thinking something more simple along the lines of Uncharted's melee would suffice.
Thanks !
Well that is the point, I think Tomb Raider is at its most fun when it is complex. Whether for puzzles, platforming or button combinations. Just like "jump" + "roll" = swan dive, "sprint" + "jump" = long jump, etc.
Of course I don't want TR to be Tekken or Street Fighters, the series is not a fighting game. I thought my proposal wasn't that complicated. Punch, kick, block, avoid and grab. That's all. I just love when Lara can do a lot and not keep the minimum.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 22-02-19 at 21:19.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 00:39   #22
killchan

before you decide what kind of combat you want in the game, you must establish how the character moves and what kind of AI the character will fight against first.

The character must have enough active defensive options and at the same time the AI must be able to either be menacing enough to justify the moves your character is able to pull off, or be able to do more or less the same things your character can do.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 01:33   #23
Mikky

I actually think Shadow's combat was almost perfect, in regards to the formula they started with in TR2013 anyway. You had the basics from '13 and Rise but then you had the defensive herbs and a few extra skills which really polished it out. The problem was that it was all just very underutilised in the game. I imagine if you had Shadow's combat system in TR2013 it would be a lot of fun.

But as for what they could do in the future, first and foremost, I will say they need to either get rid of the skill tree or come up with new skills that are actually worth our time obtaining - stop "rewarding" us with things we learnt 2 games ago -_- I also agree we could perhaps do with some more enemy variety but I don't have many ideas for that myself. Introducing acrobatics or a more fluid melee system of some kind would be neat too, and I'd especially love something that involves platforming and traversal - Mirror's Edge has some good ideas for that, but nothing too over the top, of course.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 02:20   #24
Athukraz

What I don't like about Shadow'a combat is it feels like the bullets hit absolutely nothing when you shoot soldiers. even with a rifle.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 03:05   #25
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
What I don't like about Shadow'a combat is it feels like the bullets hit absolutely nothing when you shoot soldiers. even with a rifle.
how should feel like? One hit killing everyone of them? yeah that does the clip's justice.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 03:11   #26
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
how should feel like? One hit killing everyone of them? yeah that does the clip's justice.
No blood?

It was plentiful in the other 2 and we used to hear those sounds but there's nothing in Shadow
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 14:42   #27
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Thanks !
Well that is the point, I think Tomb Raider is at its most fun when it is complex. Whether for puzzles, platforming or button combinations. Just like "jump" + "roll" = swan dive, "sprint" + "jump" = long jump, etc.
Of course I don't want TR to be Tekken or Street Fighters, the series is not a fighting game. I thought my proposal wasn't that complicated. Punch, kick, block, avoid and grab. That's all. I just love when Lara can do a lot and not keep the minimum.
I see what you mean. If I'm honest, reading your proposal did remind me more of a fighting game, and that's why I suggested something simpler, which I still think would be more appropriate for TR.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-19, 12:15   #28
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I see what you mean. If I'm honest, reading your proposal did remind me more of a fighting game, and that's why I suggested something simpler, which I still think would be more appropriate for TR.
I see ! Actually, an Uncharted-like combat with only "attack" and "counter" but all of that changing depending the place you are in the environment (like Hitman or Prince of Persia) and the object/weapon you have could work enough for me !
+ Why not some attack more powerful depending of the timing with the ennemy and I think we would have something simple and complete at the same time.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 05:50   #29
Persefone

I feel like if we try to evolve the classic formula and see the fact that Lara's ability to jump is her greatest physical strength then combat should also try to reflect that, Mirror's edge catalyst's combat is a good example despite the dumb enemy AI, or maybe elaborating upon TRL's adrenaline jumps minus the slowmo? The duals would obvi have to be implemented in a non precise-aim mess, something similar to what someone said about hipfire decreasing accuaracy but add some jump-kicks?. i'm too dumb to come up with a practical replacement lmfao

I just want them to do something new or fresh, giving TR a generic third person cover system instead of innovating is so safe, lazy, and boring tbh
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 22:29   #30
Orimus

Been thinking about the melee combat. Perhaps in terms of the buttons we just toggle to a melee weapon wheel that allows us to choose between the knife, pick axes or hand to hand. Maybe a fourth. The current melee button toggles the wheel, aim becomes quick attack with fire being strong attack. Alt fire could then be a block. Hold aim and fire to engage a grapple. (They already have a struggle mechanic.) Get rid of the prompts for the counter attacks after dodge with the counter being with whatever weapon is in hand rather than just with arrows.
Orimus is offline   Reply With Quote