www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-02-20, 14:21   #41
dcw123
Relic Hunter
 
dcw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England, UK Gender:Male
Posts: 7,050
Default

I'd take Legend over the reboot any day.. looking back I enjoyed LAU series a lot more - even if they were short and fairly easy.. they were FUN
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 23:19   #42
ozzman
Tomb Raider
 
ozzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Butler PA
Posts: 16,317
Default

i don't mind that it is a reboot, however i've seen many people say that it's an AOD sequel, however, it does lack any mention or connection to that game, i think if they had added something , even just a quote from Lara or another character referencing those events, it would have been stronger continuity wise. another big issue was how short and linear the game was. but it was such a fun and good looking game, that i honestly love it, the animation is top quality and smooth, AOD had great animation but it was sluggish[and more realistic]
__________________
the blackest eyes, the devil's eyes.
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 03:52   #43
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Legend didn't save the Tomb Raider series.

Had they ended it there, it would have been rebooted into crap later on anyway. Inevitably.
It did as Legend was proof that Tomb Raider (brand) was still viable, even after the second movie didn't perform as expected and the game (AOD) was a flop. Legend breathed new energy into the brand and got people excited to invest in Tomb Raider again.

Unfortunately though CD got caught up in the brand and doing what they wanted to with it. Tomb Raider, the actual universe, was shoved aside and never made after AOD.

Edit

That's also probably why Square Enix bought CD, they needed a strong western IP in order to expand beyond their Japanese brand. Tomb Raider Legend was proof that an investment into the brand was worth the risk. They just decided to take the brand and the success it already had and transform it into something they controlled and could call their own, reboot "tomb raider" basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I think Legend was a successfull first step into saving the """classic""" franchise.
What killed it imo, is that they forced a TR1 remake right after that (no one cared about it besides us fans) and then rush Underworld on the next gen.

They should have scrapped the remake when they said no to Core Design and focusing on Underworld giving it 2/3 years of full development.

Anniversary messed up the trilogy imo. They shouldn't have done it or at least later or from another studio and not part of the trilogy. I honestly was rooting for Avalon after Legend and all we got was crap two times.

And that stupid "realistic" thing in Underworld. She has a magic sword AND saw Atlantis but she's all like "oh I know, Avalon is not a real place blah blah blah"... this is so frustrating honestly

But on topic yeah Legend was really that good, and it felt even more good right after the AOD mess. Legend wasn't incredible but it fixed what needed to be fixed and bringed things that needed to be there a long time ago so it really felt refreshing and awesome to play. I honestly played it non stop for months after it came out and I still play it from time to time. I know it by heart but it still a great pleasure and enjoyment.
This is 100% truth, although I disagree about Anniversary being a mistake. They didn't market or promote it to the general public because they wanted this to be especially for the fans. The mistake was trying to tie it into Underworld and make it canon to LAU Lara's background. Anniversary should have been kept out of the trilogy I agree, it should have been developed by another team of CD or another developer studio entirely.

LAU really should have been Legend, Underworld, and whatever the third game could have been.

Underworld crashed an burned because of Natla and their forcing of a narrative that just didn't fit. Underworld also suffered because it just wasn't innovative enough and didn't market enough changes to warrant public interest.

Basically Shadow situation .
__________________
Ubisoft Brought back Classic Lara ^_^

Last edited by charmedangelin; 25-02-20 at 04:06.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 06:34   #44
Ashnod
Professor
 
Ashnod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States ♀
Posts: 3,132
Default

For whatever its flaws, which I'm not going to get into, Legend brought me back to the franchise after TR2 and TR3 drove me away from it. Even now, whenever I think of my fondest memories of the franchise, it would probably contain at least 3 of my top 10. Perhaps more.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for it as a result. My silly fangirl heart still yearns for a remaster of it (and the entire LAU trilogy) although I rationally know that will not happen.

Last edited by Ashnod; 29-02-20 at 15:42.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 07:44   #45
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
That's also probably why Square Enix bought CD, they needed a strong western IP in order to expand beyond their Japanese brand. Tomb Raider Legend was proof that an investment into the brand was worth the risk. They just decided to take the brand and the success it already had and transform it into something they controlled and could call their own, reboot "tomb raider" basically.
Just to clarify Square Enix bought Eidos Interactive, the video game publisher and with it their entire Intellectual Property (including TR). Eidos had a lot of important, known titles at the time so Tomb Raider was not the only reason.

Last edited by Caesum; 28-02-20 at 07:49.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 23:57   #46
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter
 
JsotoTRSaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raccoon City
Posts: 7,031
Default

Legend was more a savior to the series than TR2013 is in my humble opinion. At least Legend kept the series's identity.
__________________
Bring Back the Dual Pistols

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 28-02-20 at 23:59.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 09:10   #47
ESCachuli
Professor
 
ESCachuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It did as Legend was proof that Tomb Raider (brand) was still viable, even after the second movie didn't perform as expected and the game (AOD) was a flop. Legend breathed new energy into the brand and got people excited to invest in Tomb Raider again.

Unfortunately though CD got caught up in the brand and doing what they wanted to with it. Tomb Raider, the actual universe, was shoved aside and never made after AOD.

Edit

That's also probably why Square Enix bought CD, they needed a strong western IP in order to expand beyond their Japanese brand. Tomb Raider Legend was proof that an investment into the brand was worth the risk. They just decided to take the brand and the success it already had and transform it into something they controlled and could call their own, reboot "tomb raider" basically.



This is 100% truth, although I disagree about Anniversary being a mistake. They didn't market or promote it to the general public because they wanted this to be especially for the fans. The mistake was trying to tie it into Underworld and make it canon to LAU Lara's background. Anniversary should have been kept out of the trilogy I agree, it should have been developed by another team of CD or another developer studio entirely.

LAU really should have been Legend, Underworld, and whatever the third game could have been.

Underworld crashed an burned because of Natla and their forcing of a narrative that just didn't fit. Underworld also suffered because it just wasn't innovative enough and didn't market enough changes to warrant public interest.

Basically Shadow situation .
Underworld crashed and burned for the general audience because it didn't had over the shoulder combat like Uncharted had in 2007. The combat was dated and the controls and animations were buggy and ugly. People don't really care about the story in TR, they still think LAU Lara and Core Lara share the same biography.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 16:14   #48
Shing
Student
 
Shing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 242
Default

If anything, the main theme was amazing. On par with AOD. The times when TR had amazing soundtrack and themes...

Anyway, let's just listen to this masterpiece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uyBViwAVw
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 23:34   #49
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,562
Default

Legend soundtrack was generally very good. I honestly think both TRAOD and TRL soundtracks are of equal quality. Very different, yes, but both equally amazing. Such a shame TRA soundtrack was so boring.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 00:04   #50
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist
 
Tomb Raidering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 空境の家で。SoraSakaiís House
Posts: 2,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Legend soundtrack was generally very good. I honestly think both TRAOD and TRL soundtracks are of equal quality. Very different, yes, but both equally amazing. Such a shame TRA soundtrack was so boring.
These two plus many other tracks from the TRA OST [Poseidon’s Theme, Bat Theme, Rat Theme, etc.] shames you...


_______________

Legend was a savior to the franchise. It literally revived TR. And I’m thankful for that. But unfortunately it isn’t in my top 5 TR games because of Ghana and Nepal.
__________________
Lana Crotch = Lora Crott = Laura Craft ≠ Lara Croft

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 01-03-20 at 00:09.
Tomb Raidering is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 18:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.