Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 01-10-19, 15:46   #51
LaraCablara

This game is a really good example of forcing a developer to make a type of game they dont want to make just to please certain fans (unlike 2013!)
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 15:54   #52
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
This game is a really good example of forcing a developer to make a type of game they dont want to make just to please certain fans (unlike 2013!)
This is outright false.... The important people left after Underworld and a lot of new ones came for 2013. The studio have really change inbetween. Also for the record Square kinda forced 2013 instead of Ascension.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 01-10-19 at 15:57.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 18:45   #53
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
This is outright false.... The important people left after Underworld and a lot of new ones came for 2013. The studio have really change inbetween. Also for the record Square kinda forced 2013 instead of Ascension.
I don’t mean the publishers. Fans wanted a more classic Tomb Raider like experience but Crystal probably wanted to do something more cinematic. I just don’t think their heart was in this one.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 21:42   #54
Chamayoo

Quote:
I don’t mean the publishers. Fans wanted a more classic Tomb Raider like experience but Crystal probably wanted to do something more cinematic. I just don’t think their heart was in this one.
Ah ok then.
What makes you think they wanted something more cinematic ? After Legend it doesn't seem to have much care to the story and cutscenes, by the way they were far less. I don't think Eidos would be against that, considering Legend's nice success and they went to the "Anniversary" route. Also considering Uncharted solid debut the previous year, I don't think that would be a bad idea for them (that would be for me ).

Last edited by Chamayoo; 01-10-19 at 21:46.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 10:42   #55
Shirley_Manson

Quote:
I just don’t think their heart was in this one.
I think this is the truth. Except for Thailand, the whole game reeks of depression. It's like Picasso's blue period in video game form.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 15:48   #56
TR-Freak
Unverified

Mexico and Thailand are like the only levels i would consider something Tomb Raider-ish (although Mexico a lot more than Thailand)
The rest of the game is pretty forgettable
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 19:57   #57
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Mexico and Thailand are like the only levels i would consider something Tomb Raider-ish (although Mexico a lot more than Thailand)
The rest of the game is pretty forgettable
This...

Med Sea gets only an honorable-ish mention for the Kraken and Amanda’s ship segments... >.>

So total 3 levels that are worth it.......
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 04:36   #58
Eitr Drinker

Personally, I love Underworld. It's one of my favorites. I've replayed it about 5 times over the past 4 months, after not having it at my disposal for years.

While I agree with most people about Thailand being the overall strongest level, I love the blue goo, the caves, the dark tone, the underwater segments...the only level I sort of moan at is Jan Mayen Island, which is a bit of a snooze, but everything else I enjoy. Oh, and I prefer the Wii version of Croft Manor, with its warmer color palette and that beautiful organ music.
Eitr Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 14:37   #59
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley_Manson View Post
I think this is the truth. Except for Thailand, the whole game reeks of depression. It's like Picasso's blue period in video game form.
Lovely comment. I agree
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 06:22   #60
Boobandie

Seeing as they tied themselves to Atlantis in Anniversary the year before, Thor not being revealed to be Tihocan in Underworld has to be one of the biggest narrative misses in this game.

They set up that empty coffin in Anniversary, and made Atlantis be the 'underlying truth' from Legend that spread a network of swords and dais's all over the globe. It only makes sense to then use those leads in the following game to conclude the story, especially when you make the Queen of Atlantis , Tihocan's sister, be the info-dump on the network of ruins Thor left behind.

Including him would have explained how exactly Natla knew all this stuff beyond 'she's from then so she must know', given her a personal motivation for unleashing the Midgard Serpent after he shut it down, and most importantly made it feel like we were continuing the arc of the previous two games in more than just lip service.

But they decided to only the Norse stuff and introduce three new characters to the lore (Thor, Odin, and Hel is implied) who are all dead and largely irrelevant to the story.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote