Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 10-01-15, 22:16   #1121
vobject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Yes, I also have error 500 messages, so I can't even pull latest Nickotte's commit... We should really think of migrating to Github some day!
That would be amazing In case you guys are consider this here's my two cents on this:

With Github the distributed workflow (fork -> code -> push -> merge request) works really well. SF isn't well suited for Mercurial or Git hosting, their web interface is a disaster, forking is a pain, and I could never push over ssh (always had to use https). The only good thing about SF is that it tolerates large binaries for releases.
Another nice thing about Github is that it integrates with all of the fancy new development services which are free for open source projects, e.g. TravisCI, Drone.io, Cloud9, gitter, Coverity, Bountysource and many more. Some of those might be useful.
If sticking with Mercurial is important, there is also Bitbucket which imho works almost as well as Github does and is supported by most external services. However, it is not as popular as Github and might attract fewer developers.
Also, as far as I understand, the tools for converting repos from Mercurial -> Git (keeping history, authors, etc.) work well.

So that's my opinion on the matter. Maybe some more discussion is needed, but of course the decision is for the owner to make.

PS: Really excited about the inventory prototype
vobject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 01:58   #1122
Nickotte

Updated! Ring inventory is now 99% faithful to the original.
The only exceptions are:
  • Pause menu background texture missing
  • Slight change in light for selected item missing
  • Slightly different vertical scrolling speed/rotation
  • No anims or options for items selection/usage yet
Everything else (item rotation, sounds, correct ordering, multiple rings, etc.) is in place and working for now.
I've also tried to build a new object for the GUI-only item, hopefully I didn't just create an unholy mess! XD

N.B.: I only had the chance to try it in TR2, but hopefully it will work flawlessly in other levels as well.

Last edited by Nickotte; 11-01-15 at 02:31.
Nickotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 02:52   #1123
Lwmte

Oh goodness, I've been waiting for this... Can you please upload a video of it? I can't merge your repo right now, only tomorrow... But I really want to see it working!

Also I see in source code that you're using case switch with a lot of cases for each item, also it uses "magic" numbers (e.g. case 50, case 51 etc.), which could be quite confusing when source code gets complicated; also we will need to edit this case switch every time we add new items... So I think you should use type instead of refering to item ID directly; there is a routine to get item type from base item entry - although I don't remember exactly... I'll check tomorrow, as it's already 6 AM here... Anyway, when I'll merge your changes, I'll make some corrections to streamline the code!

By the way, I have completed base string list for various menu items and dialogs - check out latest commit in main fork! I haven't written any functions to get these strings inside engine itself yet, but you may want to take a look at this string list and tell me if I missed something! But basically it's the same set of generic strings you'll find in any of ENGLISH.TXT etc. string files for TRLE.

Last edited by Lwmte; 11-01-15 at 02:56.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 08:28   #1124
Ado Croft

OMG wau, it works almost like an original engine
But there are some bugs which I have discovered:
1. load game bug: when i save current game position and load it then it will frozen whole game
2. some quest items aren't rendered in inventory
3. when i play new level and open the inventory then every items are duplicated

But anyway it is great progress in this engine, great job

Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjFQ...ature=youtu.be
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 08:45   #1125
Gh0stBlade

This looks perfect! I just tested this too! There are some bugs and crashes, amazing work Nickotte! I hope soon original fonts can be rendered in the menu.

Regards.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 08:51   #1126
Suikaze Raider

Smile

Quote:
By the way, I have completed base string list for various menu items and dialogs - check out latest commit in main fork! I haven't written any functions to get these strings inside engine itself yet, but you may want to take a look at this string list and tell me if I missed something! But basically it's the same set of generic strings you'll find in any of ENGLISH.TXT etc. string files for TRLE.
Spanish version done

Download: OpenTomb Spanish (January 11th, 2015)

Regards
Suikaze Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 09:36   #1127
Lwmte

Ado Croft: Thanks for the video! Surely, it looks absolutely stunning, even ring unfolding animation looks SO authentic! Nickotte surely done a super great job in almost no time... That's what we all waited for! Only difference I've noticed is that there were no folding/unfolding animations when changing between keys/supplies/options in original engines - instead, they kinda spin one unit back. As for missing entries, it could be because base items are not registered, or registered improperly... I have to check item script when I finish my job with trigger parser... Also it's interesting how we're gonna overcome TR4-5 problems with lack of option items - in the end, possibly we'll need to load them externally.

Suikaze Raider: Wow, thanks for the translation! I have added it to SF repo! Now we only need a way to render all these menu entries in actual engine!

Ok, I guess I'll return to my job with triggers, or I'm afraid I will never finish it because constantly waiting and looking for inventory progress!

Last edited by Lwmte; 11-01-15 at 09:45.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 12:18   #1128
Nickotte

Thanks everyone! I'm really glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado Croft View Post
1. load game bug: when i save current game position and load it then it will frozen whole game
2. some quest items aren't rendered in inventory
3. when i play new level and open the inventory then every items are duplicated
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that: save/load/new level is broken BAD, fixin' it right nao!
Quest items not rendering is weird, I guess it was my bad for not trying many different levels XD

Quote:
Also I see in source code that you're using case switch with a lot of cases for each item, also it uses "magic" numbers (e.g. case 50, case 51 etc.), which could be quite confusing when source code gets complicated; also we will need to edit this case switch every time we add new items... So I think you should use type instead of refering to item ID directly; there is a routine to get item type from base item entry - although I don't remember exactly... I'll check tomorrow, as it's already 6 AM here... Anyway, when I'll merge your changes, I'll make some corrections to streamline the code!
Oh yeah, that'd be perfect! ID was just a placeholder since I didn't know how types were used, but type would most definitely be the correct way.
Folding/unfolding anim while switching ring was in the originals, but it was slightly different then what I did; I thought it was done in a completely different way but looking again maybe I can make it even more faithful without changing stuff... Cuz you know, I'm too finicky when it comes to these things

Can't wait to see the string parser integrated!
Pullin'!
Nickotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 20:20   #1129
Joey79100

Can't wait to test every new features... Especially this inventory.

Eventually I've found something that let me contribute a little bit on the project... Here's the French translation!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd8qoyziu4...rench.lua?dl=0
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 20:48   #1130
aidanmalone

Brilliant progress guys
The ring inventory looks amazing

Will this also be an available feature in 4/5 projects?
aidanmalone is offline   Reply With Quote