www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-19, 01:39   #621
LaraCablara
Professor
 
LaraCablara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,152
Default

I know its a work in progress I am just saying it was not shaping up to look like something I personally wanted to see from a remake If the developers were reversed I am not sure who would be defending it.

Either way I would give an arm and a leg to play it!
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 02:07   #622
Donoman
Hobbyist
 
Donoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
The logic here, lol. Yeah, it "worked" and "worked" for several years, and at no point did it not work. So you're assumption that a new game using tank controls wouldn't work is entirely baseless.

ITT: People who want to play 20 year old playstation games and pretend that they're new games. The graphics worked also, what is your point? Why remake the game at all? Just release the exact same game. It worked in 1996 it'll work in 2020+.

Last edited by Donoman; 03-12-19 at 02:17.
Donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 02:41   #623
Daft Raider
Archaeologist
 
Daft Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
ITT: People who want to play 20 year old playstation games and pretend that they're new games. The graphics worked also, what is your point? Why remake the game at all? Just release the exact same game. It worked in 1996 it'll work in 2020+.
When you don’t have a leg to stand on argument wise, so you resort to being a dramatic smart ass.
__________________
ďJust when she gets confident, we break her down again." - Rob Rosenberg
Daft Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 03:04   #624
Donoman
Hobbyist
 
Donoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
When you don’t have a leg to stand on argument wise, so you resort to being a dramatic smart ass.
Your argument is that "it worked before so it'll work again". I'm literally using your argument against you, lmao. If everything worked before, it should work now right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Like night and day. TRA looks stunning in every possible way. Even if AE one was a work in progress, the overall look and tone wouldn’t change too much from that abhorrent look that they’ve decided to go with.
Agreed. Putting them side by side there is just no contest. I'm very happy with the decision that was made.

Last edited by Donoman; 03-12-19 at 03:14.
Donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 03:47   #625
Daft Raider
Archaeologist
 
Daft Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
Your argument is that "it worked before so it'll work again".
And yours is ďit canít work because I said so!Ē Youíre not really giving any actual reasons as to why it canít work today other than a current year argument, which means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
I'm literally using your argument against you, lmao. If everything worked before, it should work now right?
Again, because you have no argument. Sorry, being ~sassy and bitchy~ doesnít count as one either, lol.
__________________
ďJust when she gets confident, we break her down again." - Rob Rosenberg
Daft Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 05:25   #626
Donoman
Hobbyist
 
Donoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
And yours is ďit canít work because I said so!Ē Youíre not really giving any actual reasons as to why it canít work today other than a current year argument, which means nothing.



Again, because you have no argument. Sorry, being ~sassy and bitchy~ doesnít count as one either, lol.
Why am I sassy and bitchy for shutting down your argument? You're using the same argument that someone else threw at me earlier. Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean that it couldn't be updated/upgraded. I've literally given reasons time and time again throughout the thread as to why I believe tank controls aren't the way to go.

- They're not modern controls for platformers or most 3D games. Some gamers in their 20's don't even know what they are.

- They're received as too stiff and cumbersome compared to analog. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_controls)

- 38k people like Nicobass's remake which doesn't have tank controls. 38k! That reception alone proves that you can please classic fans without introducing an old control scheme.

- Resident Evil devs thought about it but have claimed the world has moved on. https://www.videogamer.com/news/resi...d-has-moved-on Developers want those stuck in the past to move on with the rest of the world.

It's obvious that developers stick with analog controls because they work better with far less buttons and allow the games to be faster paced with more interesting abilities. It has nothing to do with following a trend, it's about updating and upgrading systems.

There are other ways to add difficulty back into the game to compensate for the faster turning speed and more responsive controls. They could make enemies faster/stronger, traps wider/faster, and jumps tighter. Instead of tapping backwards and doing a running jump, make sprinting jumps a thing instead.

Boss fights could actually have mechanics that focus on quick movements instead of jumping to the left/right and holding down your shoot key.

There is a reason why Tomb Raider is always on the list of games that haven't aged well.

https://screenrant.com/loved-video-games-aged-terribly/ https://www.ranker.com/list/classic-...bert-carnevale
https://i.gyazo.com/fd3d8d49f964c555...ef2eeecf21.png

Hell, just google games that haven't aged well. Nearly every result has someone mentioning Tomb Raider and its controls. So my bad if I come across as sassy, but people in this thread come across as being know-it-alls that argue with anyone that criticizes the classics or anything the original development team makes.

I just want a remake that's faithful and modern enough to please classic fans but also compete with the reboot in popularity. I don't want this to just be a remaster with nothing changed other than the graphics. They're too many flaws for it to compete with modern games.
Donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 06:56   #627
_Seth
Archaeologist
 
_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England ♂
Posts: 1,191
Default

As far as TRA vs TRAE, that ToQ would have looked amazing ingame, IMO. The details with the chambered skeletons added so much atmosphere, but the comparison was intellectually dishonest because it was not from in engine, had no lighting or alpha maps applied. Here's maybe a better comparison.





I prefer Core's use of colours, architectural details and rich lighting.
__________________
Seeing Is Believing

Last edited by _Seth; 03-12-19 at 07:01.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 07:08   #628
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 3,133
Default

Some mechanics and traps could have been cool (like the horrible spider trap) but other than that I wasn't convinced about the ability of Core to evolve with modern times.
__________________
Shadow of the Avengers available now with a lame outfit
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 07:42   #629
_Seth
Archaeologist
 
_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England ♂
Posts: 1,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Some mechanics and traps could have been cool (like the horrible spider trap) but other than that I wasn't convinced about the ability of Core to evolve with modern times.
I think AoD proves they can conceptualise a modern TR. Finesse was all that was missing, which would have come with more time, so I disagree with this.
__________________
Seeing Is Believing
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 09:59   #630
Hazelphoenix
Professor
 
Hazelphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,703
Default

We never properly saw what Core could do in terms of innovation, because they were never (never once) given the chance.

Some people are a bit too harsh towards them, saying they canít evolve and whatnot, but actually thereís no real proof of that.

What do we have? 4 classic games that were stuck in the yearly release cycle. One classic game that even Core didnít want to make but were forced to. An attempt at modernisation that fell flat cause they werenít even given the time to learn how to develop with the next gen kit and on top of that, half of the team (the veterans) were locked out of the project for a year. A remake that was never finished and all we saw is alpha or beta stuff at most.

Letís be honest, we never saw what they could do with a proper budget, less time restraints, and enough time to learn how to use new dev tools and keeping up to date.
Hazelphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 21:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.