www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 25-11-22, 16:32   #41
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
And it was the absolute right thing for Tomb Raider at that point in time, it saved the franchise if only temporarily. I had an absolute blast with 2013 and Rise.

There's really no way of truely knowing how successful classic Lara in a big release would be today. But I think Bayonetta 3 has been a decent measurement of how much appeal that kind of character still has with general gaming audiences.
And it feels like there's definitely a big gap in the market for more larger than life female characters like that at the moment.
If they went for it (which they won't) they would have to go big or go home. Lara would have to be sassier and sexier than she ever was back then. She'd have to come out of the gate with something worth trending.
Isn't Bayonetta still pretty different? it sounds alot more fan-servicey than TR, as well as a completely different gameplay style.
Old 25-11-22, 16:44   #42
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
And it was the absolute right thing for Tomb Raider at that point in time, it saved the franchise if only temporarily. I had an absolute blast with 2013 and Rise.

There's really no way of truely knowing how successful classic Lara in a big release would be today. But I think Bayonetta 3 has been a decent measurement of how much appeal that kind of character still has with general gaming audiences.
And it feels like there's definitely a big gap in the market for more larger than life female characters like that at the moment.
If they went for it (which they won't) they would have to go big or go home. Lara would have to be sassier and sexier than she ever was back then. She'd have to come out of the gate with something worth trending.
I think the next game will sell pretty well. People say the reboot had no impact, but that's really not true at all. So many TR fans that I've seen became fans because of the reboots. Lots of TRLE devs, modders, press all stemmed from the breath of fresh air the reboots brought.

I think TR12 will likely be a reintroduction to the classic sassy Lara we all know since the origin series has come to a close. They've been making so many hints about this. Especially when they commented about the Weta statue being unintentionally extremely close to what they envision for TRs future. With the classic iconography and the new fans that joined during the reboot saga I think CD is set up for more success if they are able to really bring something new and familiar to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Isn't Bayonetta still pretty different? it sounds alot more fan-servicey than TR, as well as a completely different gameplay style.
Yes Bayonetta is not a good example of classic Lara. Classic Lara had sass and wit, but she never really oozed or utilized her sex appeal. Lara's sexy design was just there not really the main focus like it is in Bayonetta.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 25-11-22 at 16:48.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-22, 03:10   #43
klona
Golden

Quote:
She'd have to come out of the gate with something worth trending.
CD aren't known for being trend setters.
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-22, 13:22   #44
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
They're more like "trend-eater"
But that's fine, as long it is well thought and merges well with the Tomb Raider DNA.
The franchise is old and it doesn't need to revolutionise the industry. It's the purpose of new IPs. Though if it happens it's better of course !
Old 26-11-22, 14:46   #45
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
This is sarcasm right? Lara Croft is the first 3D playable character. (Not 2D sprited mazes that look 3D). Talk about setting a trend.

Bayonetta is possibly one of the cleverest adaptation of "a" Lara. With abilities like forming hair to forge a means to an end. A loli she would send after the deed is done. And who is that Eggman character? Simply, SEGA's finest witch, with guns for shoes. Her pretty hair locks were probably to imitate Artemis, and living hair is somewhat like Medusa's snake like hair that is a symbol for a working sense of thought. There is much on your mind when you're preventing the next Apocalypse. (Her hair). So she dresses herself with her thoughts, her hair, as she tries to overcome her reality. To be good. Hand in hand humble towards the sunlight in a church in battle with her observers. (The opponents). As she isn't only human, but a witch.
Old 26-11-22, 22:53   #46
UroshUchiha
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
Super interesting honestly! Still watching but the fact that they thought they did the character justice with the Reboot is funny at best.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, hearing that TRA was made in only 9 months, woah. Impressive.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-22, 00:34   #47
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
This is sarcasm right? Lara Croft is the first 3D playable character. (Not 2D sprited mazes that look 3D). Talk about setting a trend.
No, THIS is sarcasm, right? Crystal had nothing to do with TR when it was a trend setter. That was Core.
Old 27-11-22, 08:27   #48
egypt_gypsie
Professor

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that Crystal Dynamics as a whole very clearly demonstrated in this documentary that they have absolutely no idea what they're doing when it comes to Tomb Raider. I don't think the most important thing by far was mentioned by a single one of them. Understanding the appeal of Lara Croft and trying to stay true to it.

Whether they are aware of why Lara was such an icon in the 90's seems almost irrelevant at this point. They aren't interested in it and clearly never will be. They're gonna do what they wanna do and slap 'Tomb Raider' on it to help it sell.
Genuinely my sentiments exactly.

They babble about respecting the legacy and understanding the "heart of the character" but then turn around and destroy the legacy and the character. None of their games contain any "essence" of Tomb Raider. None.
Commercial Tomb Raider died with AoD.

And Darrell calling Lara a "hero" made me want to puke. That is exactly what she isn't.

Last edited by egypt_gypsie; 27-11-22 at 08:28.
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-22, 11:50   #49
biscuits
Relic Hunter

I don't care about Lara. I just want fun gameplay.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-22, 11:58   #50
FanosCroft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I don't care about Lara. I just want fun gameplay.
*likes, retweets, shares and subscribes*