www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 22-04-22, 16:51   #11
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Of the LAU trilogy, to me Anniversary remains the best.
Well, we're all wrong sometimes.
Old 26-04-22, 06:56   #12
RAID
Tomb Raider

Legend was one of the best games released by Crystal as at the time it felt refreshing and fluid. However it didn't age well due to the lack of content, but the story was very good, despite the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Of the LAU trilogy, to me Anniversary remains the best.
Really? Why?

I'm genuinely asking because I really think the game is abysmally boring.
Old 27-04-22, 06:08   #13
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

For me Anniversary is better because it's basically Legend but longer, more challenging, better level design and everything is more balanced. Thanks to TR1 actually.

What is worse is story (but I'm ok), combat is not as fun (but alright) and shiny white ledges.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 27-04-22 at 06:10.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-22, 16:34   #14
Yeauxleaux
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBryanBURNS View Post
Well, we're all wrong sometimes.
I'll embrace it on today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
For me Anniversary is better because it's basically Legend but longer, more challenging, better level design and everything is more balanced. Thanks to TR1 actually.

What is worse is story (but I'm ok), combat is not as fun (but alright) and shiny white ledges.
Basically this.

It's a bit more exploration focused and (in the better levels) not so railroad-linear, because the design of the original game forced CD to break away from their typical linear level design, they had no choice. Decent atmosphere, some levels have that feeling of being a puzzle to solve like the classic games did. Any problems it had were also an issue in Legend and Underworld and often worse in those games.

I didn't mind the story of Anniversary at all. It was before we'd been bludgeoned to death with Lara's family drama so at the time I didn't mind that they linked Natla back to her father.

I'll acknowledge it did really butcher a few levels though; The Great Pyramid was terrible compared to the original Atlantis, the Coliseum was nerfed heavily and Tomb of Qualopec was also a little disappointing. St Francis Folly though was better than the original, to be sure.

Underworld also made a decent attempt more exploration-focused, non-linear gameplay (when it felt like it anyway, inconsistently), but it went totally off the rails on stupid tangents with the story and, even worse than Anniversary, they forgot colour exists after Thailand.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 29-04-22 at 16:40.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-22, 14:56   #15
Mik9517
Hobbyist

I remember getting Legend for my 11th Birthday and to be honest I quite like it and was definitely the one I played the most (I did have all of the classic games but aside from Angel of Darkness I struggled to get very far into any of them).

I can also remember my dad more out of tradition buying me the strategy guide for Legend. I do remember being stuck on the Bolivia puzzle with the seesaw during the first morning I played it before school as I hadn't really seen puzzles that would be solved like that in games before.

Also loved the time trials and return of Croft Manor in this game, plus unlocking all the outfits and extras by getting the rewards.

Also though the storyline involves the dad plotline which in playing the classics recently I don't like this being the foundation of her character now, but at least I feel with this game the Lara in it could plausibly be the same Lara from the classic games in terms of her personality and attitude.

It is definitely quite easy and short though playing it as an adult when I can autopilot through it.

I quite liked Anniversary too - at the time I played it I hadn't completed the original game so I at least got to experience some version of the story and as Yeauxleaux says as the family drama was early days I didn't mind it.

I would also say some areas they did improve on like the Neptune room in St. Francis Folly and the Flame room in Palace Midas but they also made other bits worse - merging The Cistern and Tomb Of Tihocan into one smaller level and the endless corridors. Also though it has a more realistic colour pallette I do prefer the vibrancy of the originals levels, especially the Egyptian levels.

Agree with Underworld as well, I thought Thailand was beautiful in that game and is a standout compared to the other levels by far.

Last edited by Mik9517; 03-05-22 at 15:04.
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-22, 13:10   #16
redfox45
Professor

Apart from the obvious stuff Legend really appealed to me because it felt like a Lara approaching the end of her prime. Mid-late 30's still going strong but on the verge of becoming a middle aged Tomb Raider and I loved seeing the person she had become on the other end of her golden years and how she changed and would continue to change with age.

Obviosuly I now know LAU wasn't a direct continuation of Core era but the sentiment is still there.