www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 03-06-22, 18:54   #1
DieSkaarj
Hobbyist

Default Widescreeen for Tomb Raider I & II PSX

Hi there,

My name is David. *waves*

I've been searching for a hack to give the original Tomb Raider games widescreen on PlayStation and I've only come across a couple of codes to alter the camera distance.

/*
TR I:
Address / New Value / Og Value
000198AC / 0x0F00 // 0x1400
0001992C / 0x0F00 // 0x1400
*/

I've been following the work of a couple of posters here who have done some really cool stuff with the PlayStation versions and I was wondering if anyone with more familiarity with the source could help point me in the right direction with what I'm hoping to achieve: true widescreen rendering by way of an ELF hack.

Many emulators out there allow for some kind of GTE hack that will render a scene in any aspect you choose but this doesn't reset the sprite co-ordinates. I've had a wee look at the TR5 decomp project and other engines but to be honest I can't assert if they're complete with the og source for PSX.

I'd be really grateful for any help in this matter. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Best regards,
David
DieSkaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 20:46   #2
Famicom
Historian

Even though it is not exactly what you're asking for, since I have no technical knowledge on the matter whatsoever, this is however the closest I've been to getting true 16:9 on PSX's TR1 and 2 without having the health bar messed up. I'm using Duckstation with the following settings:

Aspect ratio: Custom 366:240 <- this stretches the picture a little bit, matching it to the PC version, which has the proper aspect ratio. PSX's ratio's a bit squeezed i.e. Lara's too thin as you probably know. Use 366:240 for TR1-2, and 384:240 for TR3-5.
Crop Mode: All borders
Downsampling: Disabled
Internal resolution scale: 6x for 1440p
True color rendering 24-bit
Force 4:3 for 24-bit Display (disables widescreen for FMVs)
Widescreen hack: DISABLED

Probably I got you wrong about the problem with sprites. If you mean this problem, it is caused by the option "Force PGXP CPU mode". You better disable it.

And this is how it looks:

Cheers!

Last edited by Famicom; 07-06-22 at 21:13.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 22:16   #3
DieSkaarj
Hobbyist

Thanks Famicom, it's a good solution, I'm in a PAL territory so I wonder if the aspect ratio/resolution is the same. *rubs chin* I think I read somewhere else that it might be 384*240.

The issue is similar to the distortion seen with PGXP, that just seems to be in the Z axis plane, if you use the widescreen hack the sprites X/Y origin is skewed, or perhaps it's a rotational anomaly. I don't know, tbh. I've had luck adapting a good few PS2 titles and I've seen a similar issue with Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat-- the 3D is true widescreen but the sprites are still calculated in 4:3.

I'd love to get a true widescreen patch working on OG hardware. I'm not purist but sometimes I like to pretend, hah.

Thanks again!

Last edited by DieSkaarj; 07-06-22 at 22:44.
DieSkaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 11:26   #4
Famicom
Historian

No worries.

I hope your inquiry gets a proper answer, though.

About aspect ratio on PAL versions... See, I'm on PAL territory too, but since TR1 and 2 never had a Spanish localization (and TR1 PAL speed was all messed up to begin with) I always resort to NTSC-U versions (and also the +5 fps bonus) so I really don't know what the exact figures would be for widescreen aspect ratio in that case.

Probably you're right with those numbers.