www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 13-07-21, 23:03   #171
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
I just remembered something about TR 3 that I liked. The funky mutant spider boss with a human head. You had to keep your distance from it and shoot it with either a desert eagle or the bazooka. Lol, I remember how times I got cooked by the blue flames it shoots.
Whether or not he shoots at you is determined by whereabouts you're located; there are some spots where he won't shoot at you, which makes him less of a threat.
Old 13-07-21, 23:27   #172
Frceghst8
Historian

Default To greenapple 968

Lol, so true, so true. I definitely learned to keep a distance from the beastie.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-21, 12:05   #173
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Trying doing that fight with standard pistols only, no saves. That's hardcore.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-21, 15:06   #174
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
I'm sure it's possible with enough patience.
Old 14-07-21, 19:06   #175
Mek
Historian

Quote:
I imagine it isn't good if he collapses near a tunnel with an artefact. It may be hard to plan how to shoot with the pistols such that he is stunned in the right place.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 02:29   #176
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I've actually done it twice and a third time but with saves. Its satisfying when you do manage it but the number of times I had to repeat it, even on the second, eventually successful, attempt was probably 20+.

The worst time to fail is when sprinting round the lava whilst finishing Willard off a couple of pistol rounds at a time and just misjudging the angle and slipping down into it.

There's another hardcore thing to try in that boss fight area and that is to get out without killing Willard. You can't complete the level if he's not dead but it is a tough challenge getting up the 'ladder' whilst he is stunned and into the nearest corner without getting hit.

The 'ladder' is very awkward because the block at the edge is only partially climbable. So you need to judge the point at which you shimmy off the 'ladder' along the platform very precisely.

The number of times you will mess up that shimmy and get hit by Willard's attack as you're climbing up will be in the 20+ region unless you're very lucky or very skillful.

Last edited by fallenangle; 15-07-21 at 10:31.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 07:22   #177
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I've actually done it twice and a third time but with saves. Its satisfying when you do manage it but the number of times I had to repeat it, even on the second, eventually successful, attempt was probably 20+.

The worst time to fail is when sprinting round the lava whilst finishing Willard off a couple o pistol rounds at a time and just misjudging the angle and slipping down into it.

There's another hardcore thing to try in that boss fight area and that is to get out without killing Willard. You can't complete the level if he's not dead but it is a tough challenge getting up the 'ladder' whilst he is stunned and into the nearest corner without getting hit.

The 'ladder' is very awkward because the block at the edge is only partially climbable. So you need to judge the point at which you shimmy off the 'ladder' along the platform very precisely.

The number of times you will mess up that shimmy and get hit by Willard's attack as you're climbing up will be in the 20+ region unless you're very lucky or very skillful.
Bravo for succeeding at it. I personally have never even tried it.
Old 16-07-21, 22:52   #178
Frceghst8
Historian

Default Getting out without killing Willard

I've actually gotten out of the pit where you face off with the final boss. The game ended normally without a hitch via ps 1.
Old 17-07-21, 01:09   #179
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
I've actually gotten out of the pit where you face off with the final boss. The game ended normally without a hitch via ps 1.
I also managed to complete Meteorite Cavern without killing Willard; I uploaded a video of myself doing it back in 2015.
Old 17-07-21, 02:14   #180
Frceghst8
Historian

Default To greenapple 968

Nicely done greenapple. I'm confident that anyone can accomplish the same feat with enough practice.