www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 13-05-15, 21:32   #1481
Vinkula
Legend

The TReboot's hub system could work with TR4. Like, the main locations of TR4 (Karnak, Alexandria, Cairo, Giza etc) as maps (locations) and the maps consist of hubs. Like kinda, the original Expanded of course.
Old 13-05-15, 21:39   #1482
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

TR4 is my favorite Tomb Raider!

That being said, I vote NO on a remake.
Old 13-05-15, 21:54   #1483
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
TR4 is my favorite Tomb Raider!
and you're my new favorite person !

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Towards the end I found it to be very repititive..
the final Giza levels , probably in terms of visuals because all Pyramids were built the same style , but not at all in terms of what to do and what to solve .
it's just sad some people just focus on the last few Giza levels to say "TR4 all looked the same" forgetting about the whole other 25 levels with pretty great diversity , atmospheres and visuals .

Quote:
I mean the basics - Lara's movements - are always the same for every level, no matter if a new puzzle or enemy or sth. gets introduced. That is good for a while, but imo. 40 levels long ist way to long for one game of classic TR gameplay.
so you mean that classic TR gameplay gets boring more when the game is more than 20 levels ? why people are fans of it if so ? and since when the problem became Lara's movements ? I don't think they should've given here new movements and animations every two levels in order for the game to be interesting .
Old 13-05-15, 21:54   #1484
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
it wasn't too much of the same imo , is that because it had so much tombs ? what would one say about TR1 ? TR4 and TR1 did the right things imo , having tombs of different styles , you can't say that all tombs and temples in TR4 looked the same , Cleopatra's palaces differed from the half Roman\half Egyptian catacombs which differed from the Pyramids style and those were different from the temple of Karnak and tomb of Semerkhet style too , there's nothing that looked same-y in the game to be quite honest , and that I'm not talking about the other environments (that I listed in my previous post) , about it being so long I don't think that prevents it from being a "truly awesome TR game" , that's not a negative side ..it builds an immersion for me that no other TR game managed to do .
It's probably the all-Egypt location combined with the overall longness of the game that felt too much the same for me compared to the trilogy's globetrotting where the diversity of the locations within the games vary from jungles to ice ridden landscapes to sunken ships deep under the ocean. TR4 simply can't compete with that.
But like I said, after the trilogy games it works having a game like TR4 come along, but if the trilogy had been made up of three games like TR4 I'm pretty sure I would never have become a fan of TR tbh.

Quote:
didn't you say you haven't played the game for ages ?
I said I haven't done a complete replay of the game since 2000, that's not the same as not having played individual levels as well as watching several 'runs' (like Greenapple's pacifist run) on youtube. Of course there is no doubt that I don't know this game as good as I know the trilogy games so I really should get going with my planned complete replay soon.
Old 13-05-15, 21:59   #1485
Shirley_Manson
Professor

TR3 is my favorite. And I'm totally up for an complete overhaul of both graphics and the grid base system, as in - don't make it a different game just update those elements. And keep everything else the same. The levels, the puzzles, the controls.
But now I'm daydreaming again.
Old 13-05-15, 22:02   #1486
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post

huh ? Just because it all happens in Egypt, doesn't mean it should all be on one map. I would hate to have Karnak and Alexandria and Cairo etc. all in one vicinity.
Maybe not the whole thing as one map, but don't you feel that the game itself was trying to be composed of huge open areas - like at Alexandria and the Dead City - where you'd have to have loading times pop up as you went into one zone from the other. And you'd move back and forth between them to solve puzzles. It's because the computing power wasn't big enough to put them all together, but they were obviously designed to be so.

I think it'd be awesome to have them fitted together properly and be expanded a little too.
Old 13-05-15, 22:03   #1487
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
It's probably the all-Egypt location combined with the overall longness of the game that felt too much the same for me compared to the trilogy's globetrotting where the diversity of the locations within the games vary from jungles to ice ridden landscapes to sunken ships deep under the ocean. TR4 simply can't compete with that.
TR4 managed to achieve a great diversity within its single-location setting more than TR1 which had 4 countries ...and TR1 is a game from the trilogy .
globetrotting isn't a must for a TR game to be "true" or "awesome" or "interesting" , if that's the case Legend would've been the best TR game ever .

Quote:
But like I said, after the trilogy games it works having a game like TR4 come along, but if the trilogy had been made up of three games like TR4 I'm pretty sure I would never have become a fan of TR tbh.
does that mean you're fan of globetrotting and sightseeing more than challenging classic gameplay ?
Old 13-05-15, 22:07   #1488
mepsipax
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Agreed. It's nice to have TR4 there but if that had been all of Tomb Raider I definitely wouldn't like the classics as much. People say that games are all about gameplay but that's not always true. Sometimes you do need things like diversity and colour.
Not that I'm saying TR4 doesn't hold value in that sense - it just doesn't in the same ways as the rest of the classis and that simply doesn't suit my tastes.
Old 13-05-15, 22:09   #1489
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
TR4 managed to achieve a great diversity within its single-location setting more than TR1 which had 4 countries ...and TR1 is a game from the trilogy .
globetrotting isn't a must for a TR game to be "true" or "awesome" or "interesting" , if that's the case Legend would've been the best TR game ever .

does that mean you're fan of globetrotting and sightseeing more than challenging classic gameplay ?
No I'm a fan of combining classic challenging gameplay with interesting locations and visuals which is something TR1-3 achieved so well and which is where I feel TR4 is lacking (and which is why TR1 succeeds so immensely while Legend fails, since you brought up those two games). Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, just not up there with TR1-3.

Last edited by Trenton; 13-05-15 at 22:11.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-15, 22:17   #1490
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

no no I'm not getting you wrong and I can totally see where you're coming from , I was just wondering :
TR1 had plenty of different styles of tombs .
and TR4 had plenty of different styles of tombs with other settings (streets , coasts , deserts) .
so , in what shape TR1 had the diversity in locations that TR4 failed (according to you) ? is that solely because the different countries thingy gave you a feeling of diversity ? and that's out of curiosity .