Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 22-10-19, 08:16   #18061
VictorXD

I do think reboot Lara's character development made sense overall, I just think it was executed horribly after 2013 and that by Shadows finale it ended up leading us to a place no one wanted to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Honestly, I think you and me are the only ones that share this opinion

I'm even pretty defensive about her growth in Rise. I think it was pretty minimal but I think it was there.

My stance is that considering it's only been 2-3 years in the reboot timeline, her growth is actually pretty realistic. The reboots biggest problem, for me, is that they didn't do a timeskip.
Oh it's definitely there, and it's definitely minimal. But like I've always said: Lara realising death is a part of life hardly has anything to do with being a tomb raider. That is something any spiritual or religious guide will tell you. It makes the entire story pointless.

But...
In a trilogy whose main focus is the protagonist's character development, and it's reflected in both gameplay and story, and you make something people have to actually debate if it is there or not, you can be sure you did a very lousy job. Rise's case it's unintentionally subtle for all the wrong reasons.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 08:42   #18062
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Okay, starting to feel that I should go to the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and say that I think Reboot Lara's character development from across each game actually made sense, especially in SotTR.

Would have been better if the reboot sequels weren't connected to Lara's origin story? Absolutely. Especially RotTR's lack of character progression would have benefited from it, but even SotTR would have benefited for its more nuanced growth, instead of the "BAM" the end of a origin trilogy needs.

But as in the mental place Lara would have been at the time of each game, considering what happened before? Yes, I personally think reboot Lara was exactly where she was supposed to be in each game.
I mostly agree
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 12:14   #18063
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
TR2013 Lara was more interesting tbfh.
After all the retcons and character de-volutions, Shadow Lara towards the end of her game barely equals TR2013 Lara towards the end of her game.

"Better keep your distance then," "Well, you're not getting her [Sam]," "Long story," threatening the about-to-crash-helicopter's pilot with a gun, killing Mathias with the dual pistols, reloading her pistol and giving that badass pose when the PT boat nears the monastery, "Is that all you've got?" to an undead Samurai army. I yearn for more TR2013 Lara.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:02   #18064
Athukraz

TR2013 Lara beats Rise and Shadow Lara any day!
Do not forget the fight with Boris on the endurance ship, the grenade launcher scene, and getting to Sam at the end. Friendship goals

Paititi was a bad influence on her and made her soft we couldn't get any good moments from her. But once she was finally out of that hellhole we got the tr2013 lara for a brief moment in the riverbed and porvenir sections + the san juan church.

Last edited by Athukraz; 22-10-19 at 14:04.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:21   #18065
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
TR2013 Lara beats Rise and Shadow Lara any day!
Do not forget the fight with Boris on the endurance ship, the grenade launcher scene, and getting to Sam at the end. Friendship goals
Ahh yes, the "I'll show you what this little rat can do," and "That's right! Run you bastards, I'm coming for you all," sections. I can't recall anything like that in Rise (her attitude towards Ana's revelation and Jacob in the prison cell was... the 'what?' kind...) In Shadow, "Don't try me," "I'm coming for you," and the water/fire porvenir scene. Not enough...

Quote:
Paititi was a bad influence on her and made her soft we couldn't get any good moments from her. But once she was finally out of that hellhole we got the tr2013 lara for a brief moment in the riverbed and porvenir sections + the san juan church.
I think we can say goodbye to TR2013 Lara forever. She'll not turn back. We're now stuck with a wrong-kind-of-light-hearted Rise/Shadow Lara it seems...
Old 22-10-19, 14:21   #18066
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
But...
In a trilogy whose main focus is the protagonist's character development, and it's reflected in both gameplay and story, and you make something people have to actually debate if it is there or not, you can be sure you did a very lousy job. Rise's case it's unintentionally subtle for all the wrong reasons.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. TR2013's arc for Lara was very clear cut. Every action was a step forward for the character. Rise has maybe three moments? Shadow, four?

Though there are some divisive elements with Rise that I didn't think were subtle. The biggest thing I hear with Rise is that Lara stepped back in her character development, which I don't see at all. Playing the game, it's pretty clear that she learned from her experience on Yamatai. Before TR2013, Lara would've quit the adventure after Syria, if she had even managed to survive Trinity. The fact that Lara goes through with the whole adventure, knowing that she could die at any moment, shows that she actually likes what shes doing.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:29   #18067
jajay119

I personally think the reboot trilogy, if it had to be a trilogy, would have been better as independent adventures spread years apart using the motives in the reboot as the only base (which everyone was fine with back then). Survivor starts it off, Rise is a few more years on, and shadow ends it so we end up with a Lara who would have been about 26 or 27 and more experienced by the end of shadow. No family drama needed.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:40   #18068
XXIIXX
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I personally think the reboot trilogy, if it had to be a trilogy, would have been better as independent adventures spread years apart using the motives in the reboot as the only base (which everyone was fine with back then). Survivor starts it off, Rise is a few more years on, and shadow ends it so we end up with a Lara who would have been about 26 or 27 and more experienced by the end of shadow. No family drama needed.
How old is she supposed to be now anyway?

I thought she was 21 in 2013, 23 in Rise and 26 in Shadow, though I seem to recall someone from Crystal / Eidos saying the games are only a few months apart from each other?
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:45   #18069
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
How old is she supposed to be now anyway?

I thought she was 21 in 2013, 23 in Rise and 26 in Shadow, though I seem to recall someone from Crystal / Eidos saying the games are only a few months apart from each other?
Around 23...
Old 22-10-19, 14:49   #18070
Athukraz

She is 26 in Shadow. It takes place in 2018 based on the Cozumel and dlc3 tombstones. She was born in 1992 so she's 26.

TR2013 was in 2013, Rise in 2015 (jacob's death in shadow's dlc3) and Shadow in 2018. Just like the release years. It's a shame the devs aren't consistent. They say one thing in interviews and do the other thing in games.

Last edited by Athukraz; 22-10-19 at 14:51. Reason: .
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote