www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 20-01-20, 13:06   #18931
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
Basically it's still 3 Laras then, i guess Classic - LAU - Reboot. Everything else can be treated as non-canon to the main series.
There is no main serious though, the games each have a different timeline. The movies and the books are part of the canon. Especially in reboots case where the comics are an extension of the games universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Indeed. I have never taken that 'LC Lara has nothing to do with LAU Lara' comment seriously.

If LAUra and LC games Lara were two different Lara's then why are they voiced by the same voice actress? Especially since Keeley Hawes hasn't done voice over work for any other video game other than Tomb Raider and Lara Croft.
I agree, I think the LC games could easily be extensions of LAU, but I'm just going off of what they claim to be canon in so far as Lara.

Currently we have had 8 different versions of Lara. 7 if you combine LC Lara and LAU Lara, which to be honest is not that hard to do.

Still, that's a version too many in my book. Lol

Last edited by charmedangelin; 20-01-20 at 13:09.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 14:11   #18932
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I don't think movies and comics should be counted, because that their version of Lara is different is expected and would hardly be different. In fact, it's preferable if each Lara in other media is slightly different to fit that media's particularities. I see 3 game Laras, which to me is two too many.
Old 20-01-20, 14:31   #18933
_Seth
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I don't think movies and comics should be counted, because that their version of Lara is different is expected and would hardly be different. In fact, it's preferable if each Lara in other media is slightly different to fit that media's particularities. I see 3 game Laras, which to me is two too many.
It depends which comic series you're talking about. The Top Cow one is a separate Lara from classic, but the reboot comic series is the same canon as reboot Lara.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 15:07   #18934
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
But they are a version of her none the less. It matters not how different or faithful they are. When asked how many Lara Crofts there are in Tomb Raider the factual answer would include the mediums in which she appears.
Old 20-01-20, 16:35   #18935
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

^If you're not being picky it's 2:
Classic/Top Cow/LAU/Jolie/LC series Lara
Reboot/Vikander/Dark Horse Lara
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
The Top Cow one is a separate Lara from classic,
Is she? I thought they were the same.
Quote:
the reboot comic series is the same canon as reboot Lara.
That I knew.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 20-01-20 at 16:38.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 16:40   #18936
Tomb Raidering
Professor

In Top Cow Lara’s universe, the Classic TR games are made to honor her and they’re based on her life. Those games are exhibited on a museum dedicated to her (Top Cow Lara). Weird.

There’s also books for both Classic and LAU Lara. Both of their personality and background are untouched.
Old 20-01-20, 17:08   #18937
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:

That I knew.
Dark Horse Lara is the same as reboot Lara. It's a continuation of her adventures before Shadow and after Rise. This has been confirmed by the creators and the development staff themselves.
Old 20-01-20, 17:42   #18938
_Seth
Professor

Quote:

--

Regardless of pickiness, when it comes to literal truth, those mentioned are all utterly separate timelines from each other (except Dark Horse and Reboot, those are the same).

Different biography = automatically a different timeline/continuity. They also happen to have vastly different personalities to each other, except Vikander and Jolie Lara are rather similar, I think.

--

Different bio.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 18:18   #18939
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Regardless of pickiness, when it comes to literal truth, those mentioned are all utterly separate timelines from each other (except Dark Horse and Reboot, those are the same).

Different biography = automatically a different timeline/continuity. They also happen to have vastly different personalities to each other, except Vikander and Jolie Lara are rather similar, I think.
I understand that different continuity = different biography = different character. But I disagree about "vastly different personalities". Any of the Laras of the classic type can be turned into another classic Lara with very few changes, and same can be said of the two reboot Laras. It's easier if you take into consideration that backstory almost never comes into play in the classic games themselves, it can be easily ignored/forgotten. Our perception of Lara is largely how she behaves in the games, few if any have her backstory in mind while playing the games.
Old 20-01-20, 19:14   #18940
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

I’m a little confused. Everyone speaks of different Lara’s. Looking strictly at the TR games, not sure what we’re looking at? I know her appearance has changed from the older games and then the TRL, TRA, and TRU games and then the newer games TR2013, ROTTR, SOTTR. Are we looking at the graphics, the movement, etc.? Thanks