www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 20-01-20, 19:40   #18941
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
I’m a little confused. Everyone speaks of different Lara’s. Looking strictly at the TR games, not sure what we’re looking at? I know her appearance has changed from the older games and then the TRL, TRA, and TRU games and then the newer games TR2013, ROTTR, SOTTR. Are we looking at the graphics, the movement, etc.? Thanks
People are discussing differing timelines and biographies, which effectively create different iterations of Lara Croft. As an example, Core's Lara has a slightly different biography to LAU Lara, as does Reboot/Survivor timeline Lara. I'm not familiar with the Top Cow comics, but apparently her biography is different again to the Core games iteration. Likewise with the film versions.

With the games alone, there's the Core (classic) era, the LAU trilogy, the LC games and now the Reboot/survivor trilogy, each with their own iteration of Lara.

There are actually two similar discussions being had on the subject, with the second one being held in the unpopular opinions thread .

Last edited by Rai; 20-01-20 at 19:48.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 20:18   #18942
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
People are discussing differing timelines and biographies, which effectively create different iterations of Lara Croft. As an example, Core's Lara has a slightly different biography to LAU Lara, as does Reboot/Survivor timeline Lara. I'm not familiar with the Top Cow comics, but apparently her biography is different again to the Core games iteration. Likewise with the film versions.

With the games alone, there's the Core (classic) era, the LAU trilogy, the LC games and now the Reboot/survivor trilogy, each with their own iteration of Lara.

There are actually two similar discussions being had on the subject, with the second one being held in the unpopular opinions thread .
here's everyone. and here's what they're in if you need a refresher https://pastebin.com/hHGedKMk

Core Design Lara

Dad: Henshingly Croft, rich businessman
Mom: Lady Croft
Backstory: Had an arranged engagement to the Earl of Farringdon. Lara was the sole survivor of a plane wreck in the Himalayas when she was age 21. She made it to civilization alive, and returned with the revelation that she only felt alive while traveling alone. However, she was disowned for this. Inherited Croft Manor from Auntie Croft.

Top Cow Lara

Dad: Henshingly Croft, rich businessman
Mom: Andrea Croft
Backstory: Was engaged to the Earl of Farringdon, her love. Lara was the sole survivor of a plane wreck in the Himalayas when she was age 21, in which Henshingly, Andrea, and the Earl were killed. She made it to civilization alive, and returned with the revelation that she only felt alive while traveling alone. Inherited Croft Manor from her parents.

Jolie Lara

Dad: Richard Croft, archaeolgist-adventurer
Mom: Lady Croft
Backstory: Mother died when Lara was too young to form memories of her. Enthused by archaeology and myths from a young age. Father died on an expedition when Lara was older. Naturally became an archaeologist-adventurer as she aged. Inherited Croft Manor from her parents.

Legend Lara

Dad: Richard Croft, archaeologist-adventurer
Mom: Amelia Croft, archaeologist-adventurer
Backstory: Enthused by archaeology and debunking myths from a young age. Mother vanished after a plane wreck in the Himalayas when Lara was age 8 or 9. Richard and Lara devoted their lives to finding her. Father died on an expedition when Lara was older. Went to university for archaeology and became an archaeologist-adventurer. Inherited Croft Manor from her parents.

Re/Visioned Lara

Dad: Lord Croft
Mom: Unknown
Backstory: Went to Croft Academy as a child, owned and financed by her father. Occupation is archaeologist-adventurer.

"Lara Croft" Lara

Dad: Unknown (Lord Croft?)
Mom: Unknown (Lady Croft?)
Backstory: Occupation is archaeologist-adventurer. Lives in Croft Manor.

Survivor Lara

Mom: Amelia Croft, painter
Backstory: Enthused by archaeology from a young age. Mother died in a plane wreck in the Himalayas. Richard devoted his research to the concept of the immortal soul, as well as myths and legends. Father was found dead with a bullet through his skull when Lara was age 9 or 11. Lara was raised by Conrad Roth, a close friend of Richard's, and lost access to her wealth and luxury. As Lara aged, she grew an interest in debunking myths as well. The Croft Estate was managed by her Uncle Atlas de Mornay, supposedly until Lara came of age, but due to her interests in archaeology, Atlas' image of Lara soured and he refused to return the Manor to her.

Vikander Lara

Mom: Amelia Croft
Backstory: Mother died when Lara was younger. Father went missing on an expedition. Lara refused to sign the papers that would allow her to take over the Croft Estate because she adamantly believed Richard was still alive, and thus lived outside of wealth and luxury.

writing this up made me actually realize that survivor lara has a rich and detailed backstory, about as rich as core lara's. i stan

Last edited by LateRaider; 12-04-20 at 23:12.
LateRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 21:11   #18943
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
"Lara Croft" Lara

Dad: Unknown (Lord Croft?)
Mom: Unknown (Lady Croft?)
Backstory: Archaeologist-adventurer. Lives in Croft Manor.
Due to the lack of backstory to this Lara, and her sharing the same voice with LAU Lara i'd say it's safe to include her into the LAU universe, come on, she even has the same exact equipment/gear as TRU Lara.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 21:24   #18944
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Has anyone at Crystal Dynamics commented on whether or not the Lara from their first trilogy and the Lara from the Lara Croft games are the same?

Last edited by Jami393; 20-01-20 at 21:25.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 21:26   #18945
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
Due to the lack of backstory to this Lara, and her sharing the same voice with LAU Lara i'd say it's safe to include her into the LAU universe, come on, she even has the same exact equipment/gear as TRU Lara.
Yeah, I agree with all of this, especially the bold part. Even her ‘Classic’ attire in Relic Run is the Anniversary outfit.

But now to think of it, LAU Lara’s manor got blown up in Underworld. And this LC Lara lives in a mansion (assuming from the GO DLC). Did they imply that LAU/LC Lara renovated the blown up manor, hence hanging the ‘magic’ mirror on the wall? Weird. It’s all a reach, but I love my theory. LAU and LC Lara are the same Lara!
Old 20-01-20, 22:00   #18946
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Yeah, I agree with all of this, especially the bold part. Even her ‘Classic’ attire in Relic Run is the Anniversary outfit.

But now to think of it, LAU Lara’s manor got blown up in Underworld. And this LC Lara lives in a mansion (assuming from the GO DLC). Did they imply that LAU/LC Lara renovated the blown up manor, hence hanging the ‘magic’ mirror on the wall? Weird. It’s all a reach, but I love my theory. LAU and LC Lara are the same Lara!
Quote:
as far as i remember the official word is she's someone different, but imo yeah she's legend lara. so is re/visioned lara
Old 20-01-20, 22:08   #18947
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post

Wasn't it implied somewhere that LAU Lara had more than one manor? Or am i overthinking.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-20, 22:13   #18948
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Oh Lord, how much I preferred the backstory where Lara was created as an aristocrath, with an arranged marriage to booth! It's so different from where she ends up. I hate the down-to-earth version of her.
Old 20-01-20, 22:16   #18949
LateRaider
Professor

Quote:
Wasn't it implied somewhere that LAU Lara had more than one manor? Or am i overthinking.
yeah it was. it's in the pda entry for croft manor. "of the many estates i inherited from my parents, this is the one i'm most fond of" or something
Old 20-01-20, 22:18   #18950
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Oh Lord, how much I preferred the backstory where Lara was created as an aristocrath, with an arranged marriage to booth! It's so different from where she ends up. I hate the down-to-earth version of her.
But then how will she be #Relatable?