Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 04-05-16, 17:38   #5481
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
That is called positive discrimination. You're making a pre-conceived judgement on her as a person purely based on her race.
It was a joke. Whenever people say what I said in the similar context, its always used in a joking manner. Most common one in America is girls obsessing over British accents so you'd often here stuff along the lines of "He's british so he's 100% bae material"

and Sam is Portuguese and Japanese. Not just Japanese. I excluded her Portuguese heritage because what I said, often said by Otaku's and obsessive anime lovers, is that since she's japanses & based on solely on the fact that she's asian, she must be awesome. I don't fetishize people or swoon over them because of their race. lmao.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 17:40   #5482
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
I don't fetishize people or swoon over them because of their race. lmao.
You do often hate on white people for being white though.

(just kidding)
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 17:42   #5483
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Ah. That explains it then.

I'd say the weird thing is that if Lance had actually spent some time travelling or even living in Japan he would probably dislike Japanese people as they are known to be some of the most openly racist cultures on the planet.
Japanese culture is one of the most fascinating and interesting cultures on the planet imo, but they sure aren't kind to outsiders.
Well because she was born in America doesn't mean her cultural roots should be ignored.

+

I've done extensive amounts of research when it comes to racism in Asia. But to sum up: If I can get through the bull**** in America then I'm pretty fine in almost any other country in regards to the color of my skin and ethnicity....

Quote:
You do often hate on white people for being white though.

(just kidding)
I know you're kidding and all, but I have no idea where some people even get this idea from. I know you, deep down, think I hate White people but that's false. Tsk tsk!

Last edited by lance6439; 04-05-16 at 17:44.
Old 04-05-16, 17:49   #5484
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Crazy View Post
We all know adding a new main character is usually a move out of desperation, trying to keep the series fresh and bring in a new crowd and such.
If Core were still in charge and the original continuity was still a thing, I don't think Kurtis would have been a permanent addition, he wouldn't have lasted longer than the planned trilogy, he wasn't what Tomb Raider needed.

I don't know why I dislike him so much? He's not necessarily a bad character, I think it's because I like Lara being a solo raider, I don't want her to have partners. She leads a solitary life just like me.
I think if AOD had been more successful, they would probably have started a loosely related 'Demon Hunter' franchise with Kurtis. I'm fairly sure that was stated by one of the Smith brothers... I really do think he's a bad character in the sense it is hard to know his personality or anything else beyond his exterior and lingering camera shots of him looking all angsty. Classic Lara has this timeless quality about her where what was unsaid was intriguing. Her personality was in your face and didn't require unnecessary elaboration. Her features immediately stand out now as they did then. As the years go by, I more and more see Kurtis as a product of his time...akin to the some kind of nu-metal Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park era sk8ter boi with an edgy top on and a chirigui (sp?). I half expect to see him wearing those ultra long wallet chains we used to wear. His presence may have had purpose and intention and from what I can see of early drafts and his backstory/skillset there was one but his actual presence is still jarring and his relationship with Lara appears too sudden and contrived from what we actually get to see. He comes off as an unbelievable character with no discernable personality. He's like the Tomb Raider equivalent of Poochie the dog from the Simpsons. Like you say, a desperate attempt a move out of desperation to add someone who was fresh and 'edgy'. I absolutely think Kurtis would have inhabited his own universe well but sharing a game with Lara it was inevitable that his introduction would suffocate under her weight. Even someone like Raiden from MGS2, another controversial addition from around the same time suffered from some hate however there was at least enough there to develop on him.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this...but to say I agree and I think that time has been very unkind to the character.

Last edited by Reggie; 04-05-16 at 17:52.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 17:52   #5485
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
I know you're kidding and all, but I have no idea where some people even get this idea from. I know you, deep down, think I hate White people but that's false. Tsk tsk!
I was just kidding. I seriously don't think you hate white people deep down.
Old 04-05-16, 17:53   #5486
lance6439

Lara and Kurtis reminds me of Daria and Trent. Both have a correlation.
Old 04-05-16, 17:54   #5487
_Doppie_

Earl of Farringdon !!!!
_Doppie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 17:55   #5488
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Doppie_ View Post
Earl of Farringdon !!!!
You think he should be rebooted into reboot Lara's life?
Old 04-05-16, 17:57   #5489
_Doppie_

Quote:
You think he should be rebooted into reboot Lara's life?
God damn, yes, but he has to be done wisely.
_Doppie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-16, 18:00   #5490
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Doppie_ View Post
God damn, yes, but he has to be done wisely.
Maybe he could work for Trinity? And he should be torn between his love for Lara and doing his duty for Trinity. And in the end he will betray Lara in the favour of Trinity and Lara will have to shotgun him to death.