www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-09-18, 22:34   #18961
Underhoe
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
As long as they know who they're referring to, call her what you may.
Pretty much this. My mom just calls her "that long legged hoe".
Old 23-09-18, 22:37   #18962
johnanonymouz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underhoe View Post
i love ur mom
Old 23-09-18, 22:38   #18963
Tomb_of_Darkns
Professor

Quote:
Thats perfect haha
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:41   #18964
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
this is golden.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:47   #18965
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Have you guys ever watched a non-experienced Tomb Raider player play the game?

Watching my friend play SOTTR right now and I can see how difficult it is for them to balance the game for everyone. He's stuck on the first puzzle and he has it on easy, and he's not bad at games either. I'm pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say the first puzzle was a breeze for us experienced raiders.

I think this is why some outlets gave it a lower score. This isn't the game for those who want to fly through it and just see a story, and for those enexperienced with Tomb Raider, the puzzles are quite hard.

Meanwhile us hardcore fans want even more and harder puzzles. So who do they cater to? It's a difficult balance. Of course I hope they think of us hardcore fans, but as we've seen with reviews, the general audience isn't as receptive to the gameplay style hardcore fans want.

That's why it's so important for us fans to support the series when they take risks to incorporate more classic inspired elements, because if we don't support it then they will have no choice but to cater to the casual audience like TR2013 reached, for example.
Old 23-09-18, 22:53   #18966
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post

Watching my friend play SOTTR right now and I can see how difficult it is for them to balance the game for everyone. He's stuck on the first puzzle and he has it on easy, and he's not bad at games either. I'm pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say the first puzzle was a breeze for us experienced raiders.

I think this is why some outlets gave it a lower score. This isn't the game for those who want to fly through it and just see a story, and for those enexperienced with Tomb Raider, the puzzles are quite hard.

Meanwhile us hardcore fans want even more and harder puzzles. So who do they cater to? It's a difficult balance. Of course I hope they think of us hardcore fans, but as we've seen with reviews, the general audience isn't as receptive to the gameplay style hardcore fans want.
tbh I felt almost like him. I thought (being experienced with TR) I could do all the puzzles on hard - no survival instincts, but I found myself turning right back on, and even with Lara supposedly telling me exactly what to do I still had a hard time figuring out what to do. I had this problem with both challenge tombs and and main tombs. Maybe it's just my dyslexia. But now I'm in NG+, Deadly obsession, to really push myself to do a full run.
It could use some more balancing yes.

Last edited by New Dwight; 23-09-18 at 22:55.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:54   #18967
Mickybyrne20
Professor

p
Quote:

That's why it's so important for us fans to support the series when they take risks to incorporate more classic inspired elements, because if we don't support it then they will have no choice but to cater to the casual audience like TR2013 reached, for example.
I think it's great that they were inclusive enough to add the difficulty options, however isn't getting stuck apart of Tomb Raider? Maybe the devs should give a bigger reward for completing each segment, rather than giving the player a crappy upgrade skill once they've put in the hard work. That's why optional tombs need to be abolished, whilst making them compulsory to progress, and remembering to truly reward the player. Plastering the map with cheap collectables is not engaging, it's busy work..
Imagine having treasure, ammo, crafting resources, relics and possibly a new weapon after completing a tomb?

All the hard work, whether it minutes, hours, days to figure out would be worth it.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 23-09-18 at 22:56.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 22:59   #18968
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:

Excellently said. It's a juggling act in terms of difficulty and so I feel any sort of push to support what us hardcores want is extremely important, so it's always nice to see it when it is actually added.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 23:01   #18969
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:

Now I want to make my mother (Who only played them a LONG time back on the PS1) try them, she can't even play the Stanley Parable nowadays.
Old 23-09-18, 23:02   #18970
BigR4444
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
pI think it's great that they were inclusive enough to add the difficulty options, however isn't getting stuck apart of Tomb Raider? Maybe the devs should give a bigger reward for completing each segment, rather than giving the player a crappy upgrade skill once they've put in the hard work. That's why optional tombs need to be abolished, whilst making them compulsory to progress, and remembering to truly reward the player. Plastering the map with cheap collectables is not engaging, it's busy work..
Imagine having treasure, ammo, crafting resources, relics and possibly a new weapon after completing a tomb?

All the hard work, whether it minutes, hours, days to figure out would be worth it.
But the point is; not everybody out there thinks like this.

The gaming public by and large isnt interested in "being stuck" they get frustrated and go play something else... then they dont buy the next game.

What we might call "easy" puzzles might not be so easy for people who didnt grow up playing TR.

People around here always complain about TR being dumbed down, and "spoon fed to us"... they constantly badmouth and look down upon the "casual gamers" out there... but their money is just as green as ours; and if theres 1000 of them for every TR fan in here; are you really doing the smart thing by giving the TR fans the tough challenge they want?

Last edited by BigR4444; 23-09-18 at 23:04.
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote