www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 15-07-21, 13:03   #30451
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
... is there a misunderstanding here?

By "greater problem to solve" I didn't mean a problem with the game. I meant a problem for Lara to solve.

Oh, I think I was indeed misunderstanding.

Still, the ones from the main game ARE like that. Especially the San Juan one, where the sometimes you have to go back to the document to either know what is the correct session of the Via Cruxis, or which one is the correct version of the specific session, while adding those solutions to solve a larger puzzle.

And at a smaller scale, the one with the several doors which needed the correct Mayan numbers to open was also like that: solving the riddle solved a larger puzzle.

When riddles are main content, they were implanted like that.
Old 15-07-21, 16:53   #30452
killchan
Professor

I hope we see less of that Ubisoft-y minicontent in the future
Old 23-07-21, 22:13   #30453
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Everytime I come back to this section it makes me feel really bad about how I completely ruined this game for so many people with the constant negativity and drama. I now love the reboot games and it's really sad I couldn't let people appreciate them and tried to cut people out of the fandom just for enjoying what they enjoy.

The one thing I really miss here though is the photo mode hype. People really went wild with the photo mode and took some incredible shots. I really hope they include photo mode in TR12.
Old 24-07-21, 04:57   #30454
Raider8
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Everytime I come back to this section it makes me feel really bad about how I completely ruined this game for so many people with the constant negativity and drama. I now love the reboot games and it's really sad I couldn't let people appreciate them and tried to cut people out of the fandom just for enjoying what they enjoy.

The one thing I really miss here though is the photo mode hype. People really went wild with the photo mode and took some incredible shots. I really hope they include photo mode in TR12.
It's alright. In my recent reboot trilogy playthrough, I appreciated Shadow even more. This game definitely doesn't deserve the hatred it keeps getting. It had some flaws yet was still very much definitive with it's tombs and crypts. Some aspects of Paititi just ruin it for me.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 09:51   #30455
TankGirl
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
It's alright. In my recent reboot trilogy playthrough, I appreciated Shadow even more. This game definitely doesn't deserve the hatred it keeps getting. It had some flaws yet was still very much definitive with it's tombs and crypts. Some aspects of Paititi just ruin it for me.
Yeah i agree, I always wondered why some classic fans never liked shadow.
While the plot is kind of messy and has some holes, i still very much enjoyed it, it gave me that indiana jones vibe that all the classic games give me.

I loved the fact that they let you remove the survival instinct, which i hope it doesn’t return in TR12, and finally them white ledges and i gotta admit i felt lost a handful of time without the white ledges and survival instinct, i legit had to open the map and backtrack properly because it wasn’t as obvious were to go without them, thankfully! And i hope this features remains present, shadow deserves alot of praise for its accessibility alone.

The gameplay while its still the same-y i gotta admit there were tombs and crypts everywhere and it was fun to stumble upon them, still some puzzles were incredibly easy, but the DLCs tombs are exactly what I expect in TR12, tomb-wise.

They were beautiful, grand and intricate to platform around, especially the one with the huge crocodile and the flames and the last dlc tomb, with the big statue where you have to align properly the arms and legs, are really such a standouts imo.

Lara is still pretty much the same Lara from rise, but i loved the parts where she joked around with jonah, at the beginning of the game and at the end, it was so refreshing to see lara being ’funny’, reboot lara just needs a better writer ihmo, but nevertheless she was much more enjoyable in shadow.

Last edited by TankGirl; 24-07-21 at 09:55.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 21:08   #30456
Raider8
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
Yeah. With the tombs and all, Shadow seemed to be heading in the right direction. I didn't mind less combat but the abundance of combat skills and mechanics made it look bad.

Also regarding Lara's fun/humorous side, for the first time in the reboot timeline, Lara seemed to have a casual tone in her dialogs rather than the serious mood in Rise and 2013 (which was kinda justified given the circumstances). Some of her interactions with Jonah, some of her own self spoken dialogs were there which added another color to her personality. I wonder if they keep Camilla and improve upon Lara's Character, what more she'll have to offer?!
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 16:49   #30457
killchan
Professor

Quote:
I think you're giving yourself way too much credit.
Old 25-07-21, 18:35   #30458
TankGirl
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
I think you're giving yourself way too much credit.
Yeah..I promise you the people that didnít want to play shadow to begin with just didnít, and not because of charmedangelin on TRF.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 20:08   #30459
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
You know...
You talk real loud, it's hard not to notice it

jk

In all seriousness however; most of the publications or posts you are talking about happened so long ago that it is best not to dwell on it, nobody remembers anymore. In fact I'd say at least 60% of those were justified complaints at the time and space on which they occurred. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a flawed gem so of course there was negativity around here, not only coming from you specifically, as others have already noted. I don't regret anything I've ever posted in here, I always keep in mind that at the time, space and context in which I posted to me it made sense so why would I overthink stuff and ruin my head. I'm ready for another round if Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix screw up with the unified TR project.
Old 26-07-21, 08:38   #30460
DOPE
Relic Hunter

I think having all those skills dedicated to combat didnít do Shadow any favors when it came to criticism, in fact it just highlighted how much combat had taken a few steps back. Should have just replaced them with other skills or just removed them.

Quote:
Everytime I come back to this section it makes me feel really bad about how I completely ruined this game for so many people with the constant negativity and drama.
nahhh you didnít ruin it for anyone, you were just annoying.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote