www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-08-21, 10:53   #30491
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
The game still shipped 4.1 M units 3 months after launch, despite tough competition, bad marketing and controversy. Of course shipped units doesn’t equal units sold but the value must not be too far off. That was the last time we’ve got official numbers about SOTTR specifically. Don’t forget only two DLCs had launched. More DLCs came afterwards and the DE got released ever since. Not to mention sales and deals. So on what exactly are people laughing at the “poor” numbers of units sold? Rise sold 7M in two years (with PS version being released one year later than first launch). And Square implies Shadow did well enough for itself but didn’t do well enough for the losses Just Cause 4 caused
Yeah I think people (fans and casuals alike) were dragging it because it was put on sale very quickly after launch, implying that it wasn't selling in full price and it had to be dropped but still. 4M units is only poor sales compared to the previous too, overall it's nothing to dismiss.
Old 09-08-21, 12:00   #30492
DOPE
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
Yeah I think people (fans and casuals alike) were dragging it because it was put on sale very quickly after launch, implying that it wasn't selling in full price and it had to be dropped but still. 4M units is only poor sales compared to the previous too, overall it's nothing to dismiss.
So were 2013 and Rise but nobody calls them flops. 4.1m sales in three months was a success and Square Enix considered it one too. Tomb Raider is 25 years old, that kind of momentum they got from 2013 and Rise (despite the exclusivity backlash) it’s unlikely to happen again and should not be used as a way to base the success of the next installments because otherwise they’ll always be labeled flops because they’re not breaking sales records or getting the highest metacritics.
Old 09-08-21, 12:06   #30493
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
So were 2013 and Rise but nobody calls them flops. 4.1m sales in three months was a success and Square Enix considered it one too. Tomb Raider is 25 years old, that kind of momentum they got from 2013 and Rise (despite the exclusivity backlash) it’s unlikely to happen again and should not be used as a way to base the success of the next installments because otherwise they’ll always be labeled flops because they’re not breaking sales records or getting the highest metacritics.
They were? I didn't know that.

But yeah I agree I don't think Shadow deserves the **** it got I'm just trying to understand what may have caused it.
Old 09-08-21, 12:09   #30494
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

So, are we still using the sales report where SE said that only initial sales were lower than expected, but by the end of the year SotTR had met sales expectations and was already making them money, as somehow proof that the game flopped sales wise?

I thought we were already over that narrative, but oh well...
Old 09-08-21, 12:26   #30495
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
And even compared to other the previous 2, 4.1M shipped units is mostly on par. TR2013 had sold (not shipped) 4M units in August 2013, 5 months after launch. Rise sold 7M in two years (again, against all odds and exclusivity controversy). I’m certain Shadow’s lifetime figures must be on par with Rise’s during the same time period, or slightly lower.
Regardless it made well enough to grant TR12
Old 09-08-21, 12:28   #30496
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

I feel like my post was misunderstood?

I don't think Shadow flopped or that it is a bad game, I was simply mentioning the most common reasons I've seen people cite as their reasons for thinking the game is bad, not agreeing with them.
Old 09-08-21, 16:56   #30497
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zormannz View Post
If this is directed at me, I already said I played & somewhat enjoyed 2013 & Rise for what they were
Nah it was for the article saying Shadow was a mediocre game
Old 09-08-21, 23:43   #30498
xspacedude
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Everytime I come back to this section it makes me feel really bad about how I completely ruined this game for so many people with the constant negativity and drama. I now love the reboot games and it's really sad I couldn't let people appreciate them and tried to cut people out of the fandom just for enjoying what they enjoy.

The one thing I really miss here though is the photo mode hype. People really went wild with the photo mode and took some incredible shots. I really hope they include photo mode in TR12.
This is GROWTH! Good for you my friend.
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 15:28   #30499
killchan
Professor

All slower/lower initial sales do is prove that the game (if not the brand) wasn's that high on people's priority list at the time of release.
That has very often to do with the game that came before and/or with a marketing campaign that did nothing to make people throw money at the screen.

The first couple of months are where the interest gauge finds application.
No game developer releases a AAA game with the prospect of hopefully selling in good quantities many months down the line at discount price.

Also, SE games go on sale every other month. In the digital era, even those with no real interest in the game will just buy it because they see the low price, only to let it rot at the bottom of ther backlog. Braggin about higher sales now is kinda pointless on SE's part.

EDIT: for pure speculation porpuses, I could say that not getting the rise of THE Lara Croft by the end of Rise , + still not seeing THE Lara Croft in the marketing of Shadow might have pushed some buyers away. Hence the unification. just pure speculation. You can say Survivor Lara is Lara Croft all you want, that's not gonna make those expectations disappear as if they were never there.

The hot takes following the marketing of the next game will be interesting.
That phase will say more about the last cycle than most indepentent reviews did IMO.

Last edited by killchan; 10-08-21 at 15:45.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 16:02   #30500
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Considering 91% of players have the first achivement, at least it was more than just buying the game and never installing it.

Considering not every game climbs to top selling, even when on sale, but TR does, should not be taken for granted.

Each sale counts for the success - and this goes for any franchise besides TR. It being from special sales or not. If the games sell, it's because there's demand for them.

I don't get the obsession with undermining the commercial success of the game, especially when SE already stated in December 2018 the game met expectations despite the slow start.