www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 08-10-21, 20:38   #1
lance6439
Legend

Default SE is financially struggling (what should they do?)

CD/SE has made headlines again for something not so good. From the reception of the game, to the $68 million dollar loss, it looks like SE/CD are not giving up any time soon on the failed Avengers project.

Quote:
Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have added the ability to buy XP and resource-collecting boosts with real money in Marvel’s Avengers, reneging on a promise that this would never happen.

Following the title’s arrival on Xbox Game Pass last week, its in-game marketplace has added the option to buy ‘consumables’ with credits, which can only be bought with real money.

Consumables can be used to temporarily boost the amount of XP a player gains or increase the number of resources they collect while playing, essentially acting like an accelerator to ensure faster progress.

The news has angered fans of the game, who believe the developer and publisher have gone back on a promise that paid microtransactions would only ever apply to cosmetic items.

Quote:
The Avengers game subreddit is full of posts criticising the decision, and citing numerous occasions when promises were made that “pay-to-win” would never be an issue in the game.

During a presentation for the game at E3 2019, senior community manager Meagan Marie stated: “Our promise to the community is that we won’t have random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios.” The statement was met with loud cheers from the audience.

The following week, studio head Scot Amos told GamesIndustry.biz: “The idea, from the beginning, is that we want you to be able to customise your hero – how they look, how they play, the gear they have and how they use it.

“Your Black Widow could be different to my Black Widow – just a little, maybe a lot depending on what you favour and how you unlock things. In terms of how we monetise, we’ll have cosmetics. No gameplay paywalls.”

The pledge remained right up until launch. A blog post written on the game’s official website in September 2020 stated: “We’ve committed that content purchasable with real money in Marvel’s Avengers will be aesthetic-only additions, which will ensure we can keep the game fresh for years to come.”
You can read more here

Now fans are upset that this stance has been reversed. “Every game that sells you XP and resource boosters is throttling in-game systems to push you toward paying more money to make the game more enjoyable,” said one user on Reddit.

Quote:

“Shame on Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix. I was such an advocate for this game too. Now I’m uninstalling.”

Others said they had a feeling this change was going to happen as far back as March 2021, when Crystal Dynamics slowed down the rate at which players could level up.

A blog post at the time stated that the previous rate of XP gain had “led to pacing issues, such as skill points currently being rewarded too fast, which may be confusing and overwhelming to newer players,” an issue that seemingly is no longer a concern as long as players pay for it.

“I knew it was coming since the second they announced the existence of these boosters after they unnecessarily nerfed the XP curve, and yet, this still hit harder than I thought it would,” added another Redditor.

“Even though I don’t play this much anymore, I kept active in the community answering questions and helping out with game mechanics, but this, along with the people defending this practice just completely discouraged me from caring about this game anymore.”
Its pretty evident that SE is financially struggling to make up for that massive loss of money. It wasn't that long ago Square Enix announced that the Tomb Raider series has surpassed 85 million units in sales. It's still their second best selling series

My question is:

- How will this effect the future of Tomb Raider?
- Will CD/SE implement these poor tactics onto future TR games?
- Why is SE no taking into consideration remakes and remasters?
- Dozens of remakes/remasters for almost every PS1 golden era game; why not TR?

CD/SE continue to ruin their rep which will fall onto TR's (kinda already) tarnished legacy. They've got to be idiots at this point to not have capitalize off of not only Lara's name but her 25th anniversary. Should SE/CD completely drop Avengers already and move onto Tomb Raider? considering there's no fixing this bomb, the general public has disposed of this entirely, and no one is looking forward to anything related to Avengers.

Realistically people would think that the first three TRs should be remade/remastered to push any profit but I think its going to take more than that. SE should remaster/remake the all first five TR games and MAYBE give TR:AOD some touches. Then move onto porting the PS3 exclusive LAU trilogy making it available on PS4/PS5. No need to polish or enhance or even touch the reboot games because they're fine the way they are (unless it involved drastically modifying the stories for Rise and Shadow) Then just focus on the future games/movies while all at the same time pump out new merch.

Isn't it pretty vile that SE has TR as its second best selling series but continues to ruin and neglect TR? I heard that there was supposed to be merch being released this year but was delayed because of covid however I think that's just a lie/cover up. People seem to have forgotten that the reason why there's even this celebration managed by TR community members and fans it because Twitter stans infiltrated Square Enix's Twitter mentions and aggressively asked why they didn't wish TR1 a happy birthday. Then the SE account was late and wished TR1 a HPB a day later...
Old 08-10-21, 21:02   #2
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Casual reminder that companies adding predatory microtransactions into games is not necessarily a showcase of them struggling, but most of the time is a sign of them being greedy bastards.

You can check their updated financial reports: as much as you want them to not be, Square Enix is fine on finances.
Old 08-10-21, 21:09   #3
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Oh noo, a GaaS game added typical GaaS services!

As reported by SE, Net income was positive. This thread doesn't even make sense to exist.
Old 08-10-21, 21:15   #4
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Yay at TR being their 2nd best selling franchise

The rest is irrelevant. I don't get why people want the game "to die". Play it or don't play it, but why do you want to it to die?
Old 08-10-21, 21:20   #5
biscuits
Relic Hunter

This should go to the Avengers thread.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 21:33   #6
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Well this is quite a dramatic effort
Old 08-10-21, 21:39   #7
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Honestly, the saddest thing about this is that it kinda might make Meagan look like a liar, as she was the one who first announced this kind of microtransactions wouldn't be coming the Avengers during E3 2019...

I just hope she doesn't get harassed by a decision she most definitely didn't have anything to do with, and is all CD and SE, or even just SE, really, wrong doing.
Old 08-10-21, 21:41   #8
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Honestly, the saddest thing about this is that it kinda might make Meagan look like a liar, as she was the one who first announced this kind of microtransactions wouldn't be coming the Avengers during E3 2019...

I just hope she doesn't get harassed by a decision she most definitely didn't have anything to do with, and is all CD and SE, or even just SE, really, wrong doing.
She's not that well known within the Avengers fandom. Andy, the CM, is. And Phil, one of the Devs
Old 08-10-21, 21:51   #9
lance6439
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
This should go to the Avengers thread.
There's been threads about Avengers here since its relevant to TR in some capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Net income was positive. This thread doesn't even make sense to exist.
And it doesn't make sense for you to post in my thread when you make sure to let everyone know I'm on your ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
The rest is irrelevant. I don't get why people want the game "to die". Play it or don't play it, but why do you want to it to die?
The plug should be pulled and CD/SE should move onto more profitable projects that people are eager to hear about and play. Avengers is already done for. I'm mad that they've spent more time fixing this than putting any effort in anything TR related!
Old 08-10-21, 22:14   #10
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Oh noo, a GaaS game added typical GaaS services!

As reported by SE, Net income was positive. This thread doesn't even make sense to exist.
You don't need an economics degree to see that graphic is not something to celebrate. That positive is very weak, it's as if SE has stagnated which is not something a big company like SE does not want to see. Using my background in statistics and research methodology that graph does not have a very positive trajectory for the future of the company. Either SE goes big and does something to shake the market up or they will start to slowly decline and long term will cost them a lot of money down the road.

I suspect this is why Final Fantasy is getting a massive reboot with Final Fantasy 16, completly abandoning their jrpg roots with the upcoming sequel. Like it or not Avengers did not perform well at all, not even close. While they may or may not have made up for that $68 million dollar loss, the problem is for the first few years the game was playing catch up, trying to meet quota's it should have made when it launched.

It doesn't matter how well the game performs now, they lost a lot of money and resources on pushing the game to this point, money that could have been used on other projects is now lost, so while that graphic is slightly positive, it's growth spurt was very slow. Remember the point is not to make money, it's to basically have fountain of money constantly growing, expanding, ect. Without growing, your dying, average or just making ends meet is not good enough, not for a big company like SE.

Like I said, this probably explains why Final Fantasy is getting a big reboot with FF16 and SE is pushing for a big reboot of TR with this whole unified concept. SE knows they have to shake the market up and take more risks if they want to expand their growth further.