www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-20, 15:21   #21
puristic jink
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: TRO>>>TRA
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
Do you know what could be a good idea? Anniversary fancams flooding this thread
Fancam?
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 15:35   #22
SnatchingEdges
Professor
 
SnatchingEdges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Tihocan's tomb
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puristic jink View Post
Fancam?
A fan with a cam to stay tuned with your socials in summer.
__________________
I'm an OFFICIAL TR fansite.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 16:07   #23
Zsott
Archaeologist
 
Zsott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: France
Posts: 2,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
I'm not sure which parts of the story you're talking about that got left out, and as for characters, I can only recall the random cowboy, which got replaced by Larson. To be perfectly honest, the choice of antagonists in OG (except for Natla) is bizarre and it feels like it mocks everything the game tries to set itself out to do. TRA did better in trying to fix it, even if just a little.
The story, the motivation itself is different.

In TR(1996) Lara got a proposition, she took it, because she can. She got attacked by Larson when she recovered the first scion. That sent her on an adventure, to learn, what Natla was planning to do. In the end, she slipped and had to put an end to Natla's madness.

In TRA however, Lara got contacted by Natla, who knew what she (and her father) was after, but they couldn't find Vilcabamba.
Lara takes the job in hope for answers about her mother's disappearance, but Natla was a step ahead so she got ambushed by Larson.
She still wants to finish what her father started, but also wants to know what Natla's true intentions are.
In short, TR Legend stated: "...this has always been what it's about." Everything she had done until TR Legend, was beacuse of losing Amelia.

These two stories sharing some similarities, but they're very different.


Quote:
It's a remake, not a remaster. Of course some things would change.
Not necessarily. Crash Bandicoot (1-2-3 and nitro-kart), Spyro are 1:1 copy of the original with some new content next to them.
Fact, TRa came earlier, but many levels got butchered down or changed eniterly. (I have to admit, Coliseum was a good thing, the og one always frustrated me.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I’ll just say that Anniversary is a remake, not a remaster and exit the thread.
I'll save the headache for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by puristic jink View Post
Ahh but whats the difference?

Since you used a smiley , I'm sure you know the difference, but still:

A remake is self explanatory: Something had been remade from scratch to match today's expectations, with some improve over the original (sometimes downscale or downgrade) here and there.

A remaster is an improvement on an already existing product, while said product is still the same. (that means, higher resulotion textures, sometimes improved lightning, most of the time compatibility patches for newer systems.)

Last edited by Zsott; 06-08-20 at 16:09. Reason: typos
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 16:28   #24
puristic jink
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: TRO>>>TRA
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
The story, the motivation itself is different.

In TR(1996) Lara got a proposition, she took it, because she can. She got attacked by Larson when she recovered the first scion. That sent her on an adventure, to learn, what Natla was planning to do. In the end, she slipped and had to put an end to Natla's madness.

In TRA however, Lara got contacted by Natla, who knew what she (and her father) was after, but they couldn't find Vilcabamba.
Lara takes the job in hope for answers about her mother's disappearance, but Natla was a step ahead so she got ambushed by Larson.
She still wants to finish what her father started, but also wants to know what Natla's true intentions are.
In short, TR Legend stated: "...this has always been what it's about." Everything she had done until TR Legend, was beacuse of losing Amelia.

These two stories sharing some similarities, but they're very different.



Not necessarily. Crash Bandicoot (1-2-3 and nitro-kart), Spyro are 1:1 copy of the original with some new content next to them.
Fact, TRa came earlier, but many levels got butchered down or changed eniterly. (I have to admit, Coliseum was a good thing, the og one always frustrated me.)



I'll save the headache for you...



Since you used a smiley , I'm sure you know the difference, but still:

A remake is self explanatory: Something had been remade from scratch to match today's expectations, with some improve over the original (sometimes downscale or downgrade) here and there.

A remaster is an improvement on an already existing product, while said product is still the same. (that means, higher resulotion textures, sometimes improved lightning, most of the time compatibility patches for newer systems.)
I was teasing Tomb Raidering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
A fan with a cam to stay tuned with your socials in summer.
Ah I see right.

Last edited by puristic jink; 06-08-20 at 16:29.
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 10:57   #25
ggctuk
Relic Hunter
 
ggctuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England, the NSUK
Posts: 9,200
Default

My biggest bugbear with this: Atlantis. Bland, boring, drab, grey, repetitive, with huge chunks of the original Atlantis removed in favour of a timed grapple/platform puzzle.
__________________
Don't buy rifles from T-Rexes - they're small arms dealers!
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 15:47   #26
Patrick star
Tomb Raider
 
Patrick star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Syria
Posts: 12,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Anyway my main issue with Anniversary was how much got needlessly cut out. I didn't mind it in some cases but when you have levels like The Great Pyramid, which cut out the majority of what the original Atlantis level had.
See I agree with this when it comes to levels like Palace Midas , but I honestly don't see a problem with The Great Pyramid . I replayed TR1 earlier this year and IIRC nothing significantly interesting happened in the cut rooms from Atlantis , it was a same-y forgettable mesh of random rooms with levers and some mutants for good measure . Yep , Anniversary made it more straightforward but at least they came up with something totally new in the process , shooting something to reveal a timed ring while the platform underneath begin to be pulled back towards the wall was a fun concept and added a spark of challenge to the platforming . Nowadays , I only rate Anniversary's idea of Atlantis "bad" mostly because of how they compleletly gave away the original's brilliantly revolting and scary atmosphere and design of Atlantis in favor of normal rocky walls and random symbols , I don't know if that has anything to do with the game's T rating .

I had more problems with the butchering of Palace Midas where memorable and interesting places got cut out for no good reason , where's the garden , the Aqueduct , The temple in the huge cave etc ? They made the challenge rooms a 100 times better but sacrificed the entire complex layout of the palace .
__________________
"Engage Common Sense" - Jaywalker , 2020 .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-20, 01:58   #27
Ashnod
Professor
 
Ashnod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States ♀
Posts: 3,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
. I replayed TR1 earlier this year and IIRC nothing significantly interesting happened in the cut rooms from Atlantis , it was a same-y forgettable mesh of random rooms with levers and some mutants for good measure . Yep , Anniversary made it more straightforward but at least they came up with something totally new in the process , shooting something to reveal a timed ring while the platform underneath begin to be pulled back towards the wall was a fun concept and added a spark of challenge to the platforming . Nowadays , I only rate Anniversary's idea of Atlantis "bad" mostly because of how they compleletly gave away the original's brilliantly revolting and scary atmosphere and design of Atlantis in favor of normal rocky walls and random symbols , I don't know if that has anything to do with the game's T rating .
I agree with most of this. What I disagree with is the idea that the original Atlantis was in any way brilliant.

To quote from my original review of my TR1 replay a few years ago:

And...boulder traps. A LOT of them. I have to admit...I really really despise these things. Partly because the camera was never convenient for them, partly because from an in-world perspective, someone took the trouble to design them all. Think about that. This is Atlantis, height of civilization, with technology we've only imagined....and their idea of security is....boulder traps? Boulder traps, swinging axes, and spike pits, the very same spike pits we saw in every other level...apparently every other civilization that came after it thought that Atlantis spike pits were the epitome of security with a touch of elegant decor, because everyone else had them, too.

Who designed this place??? I really hope Natla, Tihocan, or Qualopec had them impaled on spikes after running from boulders just to keep it a secret. They probably didn't ever let anyone in to see that The Great Pyramid of Atlantis was actually nothing more than a deathtrap.

"Hey, Tihocan," says Qualopec.

"Yes," answers Tihocan.

"The representatives from Mu want to have a conclave, think we should invite them here?"

"Oh, um..." Tihocan looks around, and answers "Let's meet there instead. Last time they were here, two of their aides got lost looking for the washroom and were squished on spikes while running from boulders..."

My spouse walked in on me playing this level, watched for a few moments, and asked, "Where on earth is this supposed to be, anyway?"

"Atlantis."

"Oh...well, maybe if they devoted more of their time to learning, and less of it developing deathtraps, their civilization wouldn't have fallen."

I mean, every level of every TR game has a bit of conceit where its traps are concerned, but for the most part those levels are supposed to be the ruins of structures that were meant to protect an artifact or some piece of an artifact that were built by less-advanced societies. This pyramid isn't a ruin..it's part of the Ancient World and it is intact...but it feels even less of a real place than Vilcabamba, despite how colorful it is.


Quote:
I had more problems with the butchering of Palace Midas where memorable and interesting places got cut out for no good reason , where's the garden , the Aqueduct , The temple in the huge cave etc ? They made the challenge rooms a 100 times better but sacrificed the entire complex layout of the palace .
I can't say much here. I don't have a high opinion of Palace Midas in the original game, so I don't miss any of the things you're mentioning. And that's okay - mileage varies on this kind of thing.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-20, 09:01   #28
ggctuk
Relic Hunter
 
ggctuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England, the NSUK
Posts: 9,200
Default

Fundimentally, I don't disagree with changing the traps. Anniversary had the unique opportunity of improving on many design aspects of the original, and there are parts where that shines through - St. Francis Folly being a key example. However, the same design philosophy was not shown in Atlantis at all. Those rooms could have been changed. It would have played upon the player's expectations. Instead, they cut them entirely for a repetitive climbing puzzle ill-befitting the status of 'final area of the game'. It fails outright to feel even remotely like a hive that will bring about the end of the world like Natla wants.
__________________
Don't buy rifles from T-Rexes - they're small arms dealers!

Last edited by ggctuk; 09-08-20 at 09:02.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-20, 09:39   #29
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist
 
CheshireBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,645
Default

I remember being very excited about the game while waiting for it to be released but when I played it I just wasn't impress. I never had a "wow" or "omg" moment while playing it...
Legend was the last game I really enjoyed a lot and was really impress. I couldn't wait to see where the story would go after the ending, so excited, and we just had Anniversary (and underworld)...

Anniversary is still a nice game but I don't understand the insane love for it. And imo it's telling something that it's the game with the lowest selling numbers. It did even less than AOD.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 09:14   #30
Maverin
Archaeologist
 
Maverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,589
Arrow

I liked the game overall but it's not my favorite. There are some smaller things, like merging the boss fights in a simple QTE that annoyed me a little. And the story does come across as a bit cheap. But the gameplay is great! They added a lot of little yet fun puzzles and traps are definitely present. The time trials are really challenging and I had to try them at least a few times. The Croft Manor is both relaxing and fun to play. Probably one of the best Manors the series has ever seen.

I don't always understand the amount of hate this game gets though. It was never supposed to be a faithful remaster of the original. I also suspect some people dislike it just because of their personal preference for Core Design, and the repentance that their illegal Anniversary edition got scrapped.
__________________
Remember
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.