Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 01-11-18, 02:28   #1
MilkShakespear

Default New Game + XP Boosting!

Alright people, let's get serious. Since Trinity doesn't respawn in any areas, the only way to gain extra XP is by hunting and collecting respawning resource boxes. If you want all the skills, it would take many boring hours gathering the XP by respawning animals and boxes alone.

That's what this post is about. You get the same XP whether you play on Easy or Deadly, so I'm replaying on easy (To get headshots, stay alive, finding resource containers, etc). There are no skills that boost XP. Collecting cloth, salvage, plants, etc grants no XP. Talking to people grants no XP. But he's a list of ways to gain XP.

Story related points = Various XP
Resource Containers = 15 XP
Items, Documents, Survival Caches, Archivist Maps, Explorer Backpacks = 25 XP
Murals = 35 XP
Stealth kills = 40 XP
Headshots = 35 XP
Environmental Explosions, Molotovs, = 30 XP
Rats, Rabbits = 5 XP
Howler Monkeys = 10 XP
Capybaras = 15 XP
Birds = 20 XP

Stealth takedowns are the name of the game. Other than that, in addition to all collectables, collect every Resource container you can find.

I'll be adding to this list! If you know of any I've missed, let me know!

Last edited by MilkShakespear; 01-11-18 at 04:04.
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 02:44   #2
Athukraz

Go to Kuwaq Yaku in the area outside of the Howling Caves and hunt the birds. They respawn very quick. Start from the monolith and jump from tree to tree. (Survival Instincts can help you spot them easier) I was able to get all the skills without NG+. Farming a skill point takes about 5-10 mins. I did it after I finished the game to get the remaining skills.

Last edited by Athukraz; 01-11-18 at 02:46.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 02:57   #3
Mutant Messiah

Too bad the new skill tree branches unlocked in the New Game Plus are pretty boring.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 04:10   #4
MilkShakespear

Looks like level ups happen every 550 XPs or so.

And yeah, Those birds respawn so much, in such plentiful numbers, you could very well spend a day hunting and max out. hmmm...
Old 01-11-18, 06:44   #5
xspacedude

I am doing that on a normal playthrough not new game+ bc I want to have all the abilities to start a new game+ and focus my skills points on the other 2 paths. There's only 2 skills left for me to get and I am about to go talk with Etzli for the final battle. Got most of the points from killing birds in the peruvian jungle and Kwuaq Yaku. Also there is a lot of howlers on the path where you fight the jaguar for the first time. Using outfits that gives you extra XP helps a lot. Some give extra XP for stealth and non-stealth killings. Fighting jaguars will give you 100xp and killing eagles give 85xp they always respawn after a few fast travels.

Ps. Howlers always respawn on that same area.
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 11:17   #6
Athukraz

Forgot to mention to wear the Explorer outfit since it gives more XP. Idk if there are other outfits like from crypts that give that bonus
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 16:28   #7
MilkShakespear

I totally forgot about the outfit bonuses!

Good catch!
Old 01-11-18, 22:06   #8
Robwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkShakespear View Post
Looks like level ups happen every 550 XPs or so.
Sort of. If my feel for the game is correct, then the number of experience points goes up by fifty for every skill point you earn. Once you reach the end of the game, it takes 1,050 XP to earn one skill point--that's the cap. I know that for a fact because I spent many an hour collecting the invisible documents in the St. John church and summing up their total value per skill point.

Also, for those doing exotic animal kills, keep the following in mind for the black wolf dens:

1. Dodge kills will earn you an additional 10 XP.

2. The wolf den in St. John will only allow you to kill three of the four, so be sure to get both black wolves. You can waste arrows on killing the remaining red wolf that runs away if you want.

3. The wolf den in the abandoned city by Paititi will allow you to kill all four wolves, but you must leave one black wolf for last in order for that to happen. Otherwise, you'll only be able to kill three.
Robwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 22:14   #9
E.Carnby

Story, tomb and end. Game is empty. No life is here. Day and night.
I want to return armed patrols in combat areas and some predator mission mod or endurance. The new game + is useless. Everywhere is too many items that can not be used. I hate words: I can't space for that. Full up. I can't carry anymore. All exploring is about nothing. I have so many weapons and I have zero targets.

Last edited by E.Carnby; 01-11-18 at 22:16.
E.Carnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 05:52   #10
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Forgot to mention to wear the Explorer outfit since it gives more XP. Idk if there are other outfits like from crypts that give that bonus
- Explorer: Bonus XP from Hunting
- Tactical Adventurer (Black): Bonus XP from Stealth Kills
- Crimson Huntress: Bonus XP from Hunting
- Kantu's Gilded Vest: Bonus XP from Hunting
- Ch'maka's Greaves: Bonus XP from Assault Kills
- Hide Boots of Urqu: Bonus XP from Stealth Kills
- Ozcollo's Greaves: Bonus XP from Assault Kills

That's the full list!
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote