Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-03-19, 13:18   #21
GFY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
tressfx cut frames in half too back when it was released. look at it now.
new technologies always eat ressources but they have to be developed and tested on a wide range someday to progress
Exactly! Also, they only use the raytracing to get shadows, which is honestly kinda lame, after this many months without any news, at first I thought they are going to implement full GI, but no, lol. Imagine it tracing global illumination, shadows, and reflections! Look at raytracing in Quake II, it is mind-blowing!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0W3MkZFs4

Last edited by GFY2013; 20-03-19 at 13:19.
GFY2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 13:42   #22
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
tressfx cut frames in half too back when it was released. look at it now.
new technologies always eat ressources but they have to be developed and tested on a wide range someday to progress
I don't think anyone is implying the tech is bad. It just doesn't seem worth the performance drop in its current state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY2013 View Post
Exactly! Also, they only use the raytracing to get shadows, which is honestly kinda lame, after this many months without any news, at first I thought they are going to implement full GI, but no, lol. Imagine it tracing global illumination, shadows, and reflections! Look at raytracing in Quake II, it is mind-blowing!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0W3MkZFs4
Wow, this looks very impressive! But then again the original was rather plain looking, so the difference is much more noticeable.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 20-03-19 at 13:44.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 14:35   #23
Lyle Croft

I hope....the next game has a nice shiny museum or a nice clean shiny church
Or hell the vatican.

Or possibly the Pantheon. Imagine the ray-tracing in those locations.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 16:10   #24
charmedangelin

I don't see a point to this to be honest, while it would make game development easier when it comes to lighting and shadows, it is far far too taxing for real world use. It also doesn't look much better then what we already have.

I doubt any game is going to use it as a sole feature for a long while if ever. They could develop something better that is far less taxing then this and makes a bit more impact.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 17:18   #25
Portugalraider

SotTR isn't using Ray-tracing on it's full potential though. It can't just do more realistic real-time shadows and lighting, it can be also used for actual real-time reflections that reflects the entire map, objects and effects present, and not just what is currently visible at the time.

Real-time ray-tracing is still in its infancy, it will get more wider and better use when it gets properly optimised and hardware becomes more powerful. Like tesselation, ambient occlusion, real-time simulation of physics, hair and other "soft" materials. This is just the first steps
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 22:48   #26
iWANEX
Golden

They released a new video. Looks quite good although a little bit dark for my taste. You can see more texture, specially on Lara's face, which is nice.

iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 00:40   #27
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
SotTR isn't using Ray-tracing on it's full potential though. It can't just do more realistic real-time shadows and lighting, it can be also used for actual real-time reflections that reflects the entire map, objects and effects present, and not just what is currently visible at the time.

Real-time ray-tracing is still in its infancy, it will get more wider and better use when it gets properly optimised and hardware becomes more powerful. Like tesselation, ambient occlusion, real-time simulation of physics, hair and other "soft" materials. This is just the first steps
I mean, there's hardly any glass in the game.

But it should be interesting with water and shiny weapons and stuff if they implemented it omg
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 01:31   #28
Jaffa_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
They released a new video. Looks quite good although a little bit dark for my taste. You can see more texture, specially on Lara's face, which is nice.

Ok... now that they're pointing some places in particular, i can see the difference and it looks much nicer, but anyways i guess it's as johnanonymouz said, it's something that you should experience by yourself. Sadly, in my case, i don't really have the neccesary things to run it, but i'm glad other people can enjoy it.
Jaffa_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 01:39   #29
Zebra

Ray-traced shadows will be most noticeable with dynamic and moving lights of which SOTTR doesn't seem to have too many. If the game had changing time of day or flares that you could carry, RTX would probably make for a much more noticeable improvement.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 02:20   #30
AntRaidsTombs

So can they fix the Shadows on consoles? Lol
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote