Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 02-09-12, 17:57   #11
tombraiderxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
My first post for push a big WHOUAAAA ... I remember your btb level was giant and one of my favorite and a bit scary with the raptors hidden in the underground but this sequel looks exellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXP View Post
I really liked the original 'Lost in Canyons' level - great to see that you're expanding on it. Look forward to seeing more.
Thanks! I'm glad you liked the original level. For a while I did actually work on a direct expansion of that level. It involved Lara arriving in the canyon via train and she wanted to get to the main temple (which hold a powerful artifact and a ton of treasure), but the only way to get there was by getting through the town. However, the town was inaccessible because the power had been cut, leaving most of the citizens trapped or stranded inside, and the only way to gain access to the town was to restore power via the factories. This is where my BtB level takes place. Prior to this level, Lara meets a guy that will help her on her quest and he takes her to the starting point of the BtB level. However, once Lara does restore the power, the man betrays her and destroys the path that goes back to the town, leaving Lara stranded in the level wiht the players left to figure out how to get Lara out.
I added a few more rooms in this version that had a newer starting area that had some more gameplay, and that "Heart of the Beast" prize that the player gets... you finally learn its use.
I have a couple screenshots of the old version, and I was thinking about uploading a video with what I did finish, since I scrapped that version.

The older version I started included an expanded version of my BtB level, and the mood was warm and sunny with reddish hues here and there. I was going to continue with that mood for this version, but instead I decided to experiment and went with the night-time atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinu View Post
Hey,

can I add some suggestions on how to improve your level?
I noticed that in some of your screens your lighting is really good and well balanced, like in this one.
But other areas in your game look slightly dull because the lighting offers very little contrast. It looks sort of monochrome, like in this pic.
I think you could greatly improve the look of your level if you spice up the lighting in those monotone areas, maybe with some light beams or little lamps/glowing crystals that give off some light...?
Gladly.
There are definitely some monochrome areas that have been bugging me (especially in the main canyon) for quite a while, but I wasn't completely sure about how I could improve it. I'll try looking for some good crystals to illuminate the rocks and hopefully make the place look more vibrant.

Last edited by tombraiderxii; 02-09-12 at 17:59.
tombraiderxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 20:50   #12
AgentXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraiderxii View Post
I have a couple screenshots of the old version, and I was thinking about uploading a video with what I did finish, since I scrapped that version.
Would love to see that.
AgentXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 18:18   #13
tombraiderxii

No problem.
I just recorded some gameplay and will upload the video ASAP.

EDIT: Just finished the stuff from the extended BtB2011 level. Now it's making the video.
Then I'll have to do the video for the second level.
It's not much to be honest, but what the heck, I'll show it anyway. I think v2 looks better than v1 anyway. They're so different from each other, as v1 was from December of last year.

Last edited by tombraiderxii; 03-09-12 at 19:11.
Old 03-09-12, 19:52   #14
Mytly

Very nice. The outdoor area looks really good, but the caves one looks a bit bland. Maybe a little more variety in texturing or some objects would help.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 20:38   #15
tombraiderxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytly View Post
Very nice. The outdoor area looks really good, but the caves one looks a bit bland. Maybe a little more variety in texturing or some objects would help.
Thanks!
I'm aware the caves look bland. Those shots are very WIP as it is and I'm still experimenting with ways to improve the lighting and texturing. I think I'm going with Nadine's suggestion to use crystals and lamps as a source of light.

-------------------------------
I got around to uploading the videos. (about time too, I've been trying to get at it for months ), but Youtube screwed up the lighting. :/

Old 03-09-12, 21:02   #16
Richard_Croft

Nice work! Looks awesome
Can't wait to see more
Richard_Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 21:22   #17
JessyTR

Wow, both videos are fantastic, I'm loving how you build those large areas, and they don't look blocky

That boss battle looks so HOT
JessyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 21:09   #18
!araCr0ft

I love it! The areas you make are so amazing and well put together.
I love how the caves are textured and shaped. Feels like we're really with Lara looking around these dark tunnels.

Well done. Can't wait to see more.
!araCr0ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 18:09   #19
[Xmas]

Watching these videos made me realize how amazingly creative you must be. I would never come up with the ideas you did (ie. the cut out power in the town, the boss fight), I had my mouth open for the entire gameplay video. All the areas are beatifully textured and I love the lighting throughout the level
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-12, 22:25   #20
tombraiderxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Croft View Post
Nice work! Looks awesome
Can't wait to see more
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessyTR View Post
Wow, both videos are fantastic, I'm loving how you build those large areas, and they don't look blocky

That boss battle looks so HOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by !araCr0ft View Post
I love it! The areas you make are so amazing and well put together.
I love how the caves are textured and shaped. Feels like we're really with Lara looking around these dark tunnels.

Well done. Can't wait to see more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Xmas] View Post
Watching these videos made me realize how amazingly creative you must be. I would never come up with the ideas you did (ie. the cut out power in the town, the boss fight), I had my mouth open for the entire gameplay video. All the areas are beatifully textured and I love the lighting throughout the level
Aww thanks guys! I'm glad you liked the videos. :3 Sadly, they won't make it in the final cut at all in any way as they are deleted levels.

Last edited by tombraiderxii; 23-04-14 at 17:32.