Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 03-12-18, 21:19   #1
VictorXD

Default What are the things that absolutely need to be in the next game for you?

SOOOO, I think it is no secret that many, many people were disappointed by the reboot in various aspects as the games went by, and some, like myself have went from completely loving it to bits to "ugh this again?". And sure, while most of the complaints seem to be at Lara's (lack of) "character development" in the last two games, especially that "big defining moment" of Shadow's, there are many things gameplay need to improve as well.

So I wanted to ask you all: What are the things the next game absolutely needs to have to pick your interest? You know, things that the lack of would be enough to decide if you'll buy the game or not.

For me it would be:

- New animations.
- Proper supernatural elements
- Vehicles, I mean seriously the reboot has made a crucial mistake by not including them. It could even be used as a story trope to show Lara's growth and her becoming an excellent bike driver as the game progresses, and loosing fear of high speeds/crashing. That ship has sailed though.
- Not a deal breaker, but I'll be seriously disappointed and bored if there was only one main location again
- Parents drama to be gone completely. I'm serious, if it is back in the next game I'm not buying it, I'm THAT sick of it.
- Duals
- Swimming to return
- A Lara that resembles her Classic self a bit more, especially the sense of love for adventuring and sass. Physical attributes are welcome as well, though I don't mind too much if the backpack or the shorts don't return for example.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but the extreme mishandling of Lara in the reboot (especially since it started off so good and so emotional for me) has really soured my taste for the franchise in general, and I find myself less and less interested in TR games. Never thought that'd happen but here we are. The classics are old and have obviously lost a bit of the charm they used to have, especially when you know everything you have to do and by now most of it feels like playing in auto mode, and the fact that we'll never get remakes/remasters or even the same level of care RE has for its classic fanbase doesn't help. LAU is clunky for me and it also has lots of problems we all have discussed a hundred times over.

Last edited by VictorXD; 03-12-18 at 22:35.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 21:38   #2
JsotoTRSaga

Sarcastic and Sassy Lady Croft

Dual Pistols

Vehicles

No more forced Tribal Outfits (they suck so much!!)
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 21:47   #3
Chamayoo

Except for three specific things, I agree with the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
- Reused animations.
You want some animations to return ? I didn't mind having back in Shadow after 5 years because I didn't think they are that outdated but I think for a new start (and probably a new "era") it should have new ones to feel fresh. I think should have more confident, athletic and professional ones to see her progression after her origin stories.

Quote:
- Lack of proper supernatural elements
Well, I disagree I want more and at least not humanoid ones again.

Quote:
- Swimming to not return
For me it is an essential feature of the franchise that should never gone. So far that I think it was a massive mistake to have get rid of it in the 2013 reboot. It's like a missed opportunity to add some survival element in the gameplay that lack a bit of it.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 21:49   #4
Blackmoor

What do I need to make me buy it?

A fairly cohesive story with gameplay centred on exploration in exotic or different parts of the world. I mean I have bought all of the TR games and some of them weren't the greatest. So, my standards aren't ultra high when it comes to that.

That's not the same as what I WANT though.

I have much higher standards for that.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 21:49   #5
Patrick star

- A darker , morally ambiguous Lara Croft who doesn't play the white knight all the time .

- I need most of the game to be spent in total solitude . As in : Lara + the characters of the story + the enemies . Over crowded main hubs , countless NPCs and their missions , and the "living with culture" thingy can go away completely for all I care .

- I wouldn't like them to go down the "bigger" path in the next game , focus on fixing the flaws of the hubs instead of making them even bigger . The size of Rise's hubs was the ideal one .

- Vehicles for sure ! It's about time they get back to the franchise !

- Get rid of the one country per game structure , I need proper globe-trotting back .

- Personally , I don't wish to see any trace of snow or jungle in the next game , lol .

- The next game's plot MUST be better than Shadow's at least , which shouldn't be a difficult challenge tbh .

That's all I can think of at the moment

EDIT : wait a minute , is this thread asking for what the next game must NOT have for it to grab our interest or the opposite ?

Last edited by Patrick star; 03-12-18 at 21:58.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 22:32   #6
VictorXD

^ Nope, things it needs to have for you to buy it. I just worded my examples terribly lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Except for three specific things, I agree with the rest.
Oopsss I think I did not make myself very clear
Quote:
You want some animations to return ? I didn't mind having back in Shadow after 5 years because I didn't think they are that outdated but I think for a new start (and probably a new "era") it should have new ones to feel fresh. I think should have more confident, athletic and professional ones to see her progression after her origin stories.
Ohhh god no! I want them as far away as possible.

I don't have a problem with their age per say, just that a lot of them never looked good in the first place. Hell some even had no place in this decade whatsoever, especially in a AAA game.

TRU's shimming is one example that while I don't it needs replacing, it really could use one, just because of the sheer amount of games that have used it since.
Quote:
Well, I disagree I want more and at least not humanoid ones again.
Again, I was not very clear. Yes I want more. The bigger and scarier the better!
Quote:
For me it is an essential feature of the franchise that should never gone. So far that I think it was a massive mistake to have get rid of it in the 2013 reboot. It's like a missed opportunity to add some survival element in the gameplay that lack a bit of it.
Funny thing for me is that I did not even notice that swimming had been gone until I someone pointed it out on the forum. I guess I didn't notice because it still has lots of water and there are some action scenes where Lara is going down a river.

But yeah, swimming needs to stick around for sure.

Last edited by VictorXD; 03-12-18 at 22:35.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 22:41   #7
Chamayoo

I was so confused ! Now I agree 100% with all you said ! We want the same things for the TR future.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 22:48   #8
Patrick star

Quote:
^ Nope, things it needs to have for you to buy it..
Specifically to buy it ? Now I see . I've just mistaken this thread for another wishlist/what would you want thread

So I'll have to say that I'll just buy any Tomb Raider game no matter what , there's no way I'm going to skip one and not bother to buy it at all
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 22:48   #9
Samz

For me, the absolute core essentials are:

Health Bar with health items.

More non-human/supernatural (AND NOT RESKINNED HUMANS WITH MORE HEALTH) enemies than humans by a big amount.

Having to find weapons/ammo/health in classic-style secrets.

Lara that sounds British both in voice and script.

Actual Classic-style exploration and swimming.

Deadly traps with no slow-mo.

Not being entirely serious.

Alot less Tribal/Military outfits, heck the ones in Legend were awesome. (I pretty much wear the military snow one every time I play Kazakhstan)

No Scripted walking/camera like in Reboot.

More gameplay than cutscenes.

Acrobatic fast-paced combat system.

No skill trees.

Manual crouching.

Lara to actually be somewhat of an anti-heroine again.

Last edited by Samz; 03-12-18 at 22:51.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 22:49   #10
Aikon

In order of importance for me there must be:
1- new animations!!!!!
2- a laid back and more mature Lara who doesn't play as a heroine.
3- level design at least on par with Deus Ex and Dishonored.
4- no skill trees and skills to unlock thus no experience points.
5- new cover system with a dedicated crouch button.
6- no side quests unless they serve some purpose for the main story.
7- non lethal takedowns.

Instead other minor things are:
8- if there's an open world, at least provide a vehicle.
9- less collectibles and less resources.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote