Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 14-12-18, 08:01   #11
KennyC222

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleliddell22 View Post
I posted this list on Twitter about a month ago, and it incited some interesting discussion, so I thought I'd post it here. Feel free to add your suggestions for the next game.

DISCLAIMER: This is directly copied from my Twitter. If I have any new opinions, I'll indicate them.

*If there are any disagreements, I am literally BEGGING you to dispute them in a civil manner. There is absolutely no reason to use accusatory language. Don't assume things about anyone based on one of their opinions. You'd think this would be a given, but this site has made a reputation for itself as one of the nastiest places to discuss this stuff.*

Some of these can be added in patches or DLC, which is also very appreciated.

1. Dual pistols: Yes I still want them. Sue me. There’s literally no reason why she can’t have them AND the bow.

2. Globetrotting: A hub for every area she visits? Yes please. Urban locations could be used for merchants, so we don’t have to keep shoehorning lost civilizations into every game.

3. “All full up” dialogue removed: While you’re at it, take it out of Shadow in a future patch.

4. Sam and Reyes: Obvi [EDIT: Obvi as in the other side characters from 2013 had just as much, if not more, potential than Jonah that I'd like to see realized. Ultimately, I really don't care if they return, but I definitely don't want another reboot. Therefore, assuming we're in the same timeline, there's no reason why they can't return.]

5. Better narrative: Plan it out from the beginning. The last trilogy seemed stitched together last minute. Trinity felt useless. Either choose stand-alone stories or an overarching narrative. Don’t half-ass both.

6. No more lost civilizations: It’s been done to death. Stick to the supernatural. This also avoids that pesky “white woman killing indigenous people” problem.

7. Stylish outfits: The new outfits are fine imo, but if I don’t get a flannel shirt and cuffed jeans look at some point after y’all had the audacity to tease them on the last comic covers, I might die.

8. Camilla: If she doesn’t come back, then it would be cool to have Keeley or Shelley return. [EDIT: I've actually changed my opinion on this. I'm ready for a change. I love Camilla dearly, but she doesn't seem interested in returning. I'd love to hear a new voice.]

9. Croft Manor: This is a staple. I’d love for it to return as a normal part of the game. The old formula or the new story driven exploration formula is cool with me, I just want it back permanently.

10. Legend/Anniversary/Underworld old school models: Keep the classic ones, but add the LAU ones too. Some of us (me) primarily grew up with those games.

11. No more forced outfits: For example the blue tunic. I’m fine with this during the first playthrough, but in New Game+ or even a subsequent New Game seems like overkill.

12. Overhauled combat system: The current system works best as stealth-until-you-get-caught-then-shoot-everything. Her nerfed health really made it less fun in Shadow. (I’d really like all non-boss human combat eliminated, but I know I’m in the minority.)

13. Polished platforming: I adore that platforming is a huge focus of Shadow, but it’s a little too glitchy to completely rely on. I more polished system would be lovely in the future.

14. Female mercenaries: I want generic female mercs. It irks me to the core that Lara is basically one of 4 women in the entire world in this universe. Having two female side characters isn’t progressive.
Just more Croft manor please and ridable vehicles. And more personal development of Lara please? In comic timeline, she has an own child
KennyC222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 09:06   #12
Maverin

Okay so I respect your opinion and I will compare it with mine. I always find it interesting how people enjoy completely different things sometimes.

1. Dual pistols: Yes I still want them. Sue me. There’s literally no reason why she can’t have them AND the bow.

--> I was on the same page as you in the past, but as time goes by I start caring less for them. Yes they were defining and really cool but I never felt that AOD or the reboots were less fun because they weren't in them.

2. Globetrotting: A hub for every area she visits? Yes please. Urban locations could be used for merchants, so we don’t have to keep shoehorning lost civilizations into every game.

--> I agree on this one. The travelling aspect was something I always loved in previous games. It makes the games much more diverse and make you feel a lot less fast bored with it. And everyone will be happy: those who like snowy environments and those who like hot desserts. This is also a reason why I love Ratchet and Clank games.

3. “All full up” dialogue removed: While you’re at it, take it out of Shadow in a future patch.

--> I don't understand this one.

4. Sam and Reyes: Obvi [EDIT: Obvi as in the other side characters from 2013 had just as much, if not more, potential than Jonah that I'd like to see realized. Ultimately, I really don't care if they return, but I definitely don't want another reboot. Therefore, assuming we're in the same timeline, there's no reason why they can't return.]

--> I also wondered what happened to them during Rise and found it a little odd that there wasn't even a mentioning of them. I understand that they did this as to not confuse new players who hadn't played the previous game but that was a rather lame move. Now however, it would be better if they didn't return. It would be even weirder to have them return all of the sudden 2 games later.

5. Better narrative: Plan it out from the beginning. The last trilogy seemed stitched together last minute. Trinity felt useless. Either choose stand-alone stories or an overarching narrative. Don’t half-ass both.

--> I agree with you on this one again. They were like 'first things first'. Focused a lot on every game separately and then were like 'okay let us find a way to connect them now' which is a completely wrong mindset in making a trilogy.

6. No more lost civilizations: It’s been done to death. Stick to the supernatural. This also avoids that pesky “white woman killing indigenous people” problem.

--> I don't necessarily agree. Lost civilisations are always kinda cool like the tribesmen in TRIII but I do agree that they overdid it a little by now.

7. Stylish outfits: The new outfits are fine imo, but if I don’t get a flannel shirt and cuffed jeans look at some point after y’all had the audacity to tease them on the last comic covers, I might die.

--> I'm fine with the outfits we have right now. However shorts should return, and not just because they were in the classics. I want them to return because of how ridiculous the reason is why they were removed in the first place. Feminists. Because a woman who's wearing shorts is a slutty and sexist portrayal of women... yeah right.

8. Camilla: If she doesn’t come back, then it would be cool to have Keeley or Shelley return. [EDIT: I've actually changed my opinion on this. I'm ready for a change. I love Camilla dearly, but she doesn't seem interested in returning. I'd love to hear a new voice.]

--> I never had anything against Camilla like some of the other members here, but I feel like it's time to change to a more mature sounding voice again. Keeley was amazing but gaming companies never seem to rehire people after they had them replaced.

9. Croft Manor: This is a staple. I’d love for it to return as a normal part of the game. The old formula or the new story driven exploration formula is cool with me, I just want it back permanently.

--> Loved the manor as a kid but it won't make or break the game for me.

10. Legend/Anniversary/Underworld old school models: Keep the classic ones, but add the LAU ones too. Some of us (me) primarily grew up with those games.

--> Not necessary for me. I always play with the default models, the other models always feel off and out of place in the newer games. Which is only normal of course. But it's still a valid reason to not want them. I understand other fans who do want to see them included though. They are probably more appreciative of nostalgic content than I am.

11. No more forced outfits: For example the blue tunic. I’m fine with this during the first playthrough, but in New Game+ or even a subsequent New Game seems like overkill.

--> I agree that you should get free choice, at least after the first playthrough.

12. Overhauled combat system: The current system works best as stealth-until-you-get-caught-then-shoot-everything. Her nerfed health really made it less fun in Shadow. (I’d really like all non-boss human combat eliminated, but I know I’m in the minority.)

--> I disagree. I'm all for platforming but if there's no combat now and then it get's really boring really fast. Who doesn't like shooting stuff after all. It should be challenging though, not a brainless task. They did a great job with this in TR2013 in my opinion. But include more mini-bosses please. TRIII is a great example of how many bosses there should be.

13. Polished platforming: I adore that platforming is a huge focus of Shadow, but it’s a little too glitchy to completely rely on. I more polished system would be lovely in the future.

--> I have nothing to say about this.

14. Female mercenaries: I want generic female mercs. It irks me to the core that Lara is basically one of 4 women in the entire world in this universe. Having two female side characters isn’t progressive.

--> I don't really agree with this either. The proportion male/female feels realistic to me. There aren't many armies filled with women, shooting with heavy guns in real life either, just saying. I have nothing against women in the army by the way, it's just a fact that there are way more men who prefer a profession like that.

Last edited by Maverin; 14-12-18 at 09:10.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 16:12   #13
A_De

I only wish two things:
1. An adequate price of the game. Let it cost as Legend or AOD;
2. An ability to run on computer of 2010 year. Isn't it a noncence that you have to buy new machine to play any next game?
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 18:10   #14
krycekuva

Lost civilizations mixed with fantasy.

Mythical creatures

No more destruction of the archaeological finds.

Animal killing not mandatory. (animals that are bosses should have a non aggressive/non confrontational more difficult alternative to be solved)
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 21:06   #15
Shirley_Manson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post

1. Dual pistols: Yes I still want them. Sue me. ThereÂ’s literally no reason why she canÂ’t have them AND the bow.

--> I was on the same page as you in the past, but as time goes by I start caring less for them. Yes they were defining and really cool but I never felt that AOD or the reboots were less fun because they weren't in them.
Holy ****. Yes! Someone gets it. Chronicles had dual pistols and it was way less enjoyable than AOD for me. They really aren't this lost holy grail of Tomb Raider that everyone makes them out to be.
We just need better balanced weapons in the next Tomb Raider, and a wider arsenal than just 4 weapon types (not counting melee).

I would also like a break from supernatural things in future games. Or have them at least be more subtle, used sparingly and actually interesting. I think Tomb Raider 2 did it best, saving the really freaky stuff for the end game. When you first got transported to the Floating islands it was a big WTF moment that has yet to repeat itself in TR.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 22:06   #16
JsotoTRSaga

Dual Pistols
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 09:30   #17
Zolee

Vary of locations.
The most boring in the reboot series that the games are set in only one location;
Yamatai, Siberia and Peru. While Rise and Shadow had short parts in other places theyre still stick at one main base.

Dual pistols
I know that this has been said million times, but I still miss them as Laras main weapons. I think the bow as a signature does not fit in ANY type of levels. Just imagine the next game(s) sets in some non woody places, I cant imagine Lara running around with bows anywhere. It fits to jungle/wood/island levels but apart that I dont think so...

Less emotion
Im just sick of daddy/mommy/bestie stories since Legend. We barely had such emotion flow in the old games and that was just perfect to me. Imo It's time to have a game with no lost family members or friends being captured.

No more cultic outfits
Rise and Shadow had plenty of them and theyre pretty annoying to me. The most annoying that in some parts they are a must to wear. Of course... I know... they fit well because she wears things she hunted from the wild and crafted, or blends in the cult, but theyre just not Laraish. Id like a main outfit like in the classics.

Thats all from me, feel free to stone me
Zolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 01:39   #18
Rai

I don't have many.

Continue with difficulty settings similar to Shadow.

I'd really prefer a bit of globe-trotting, but keep hubs and camps.

Hubs to be similar in size and general feel to TR'13. Particularly like Mountain Village.

More supernatural enemies, perhaps even less humanoid.

Now Lara's no longer going through her origins, maybe she can encounter some creatures that may surprise her.

We've had temples and even a monastery and palaces in this timeline, but I'm still waiting for a Barkhang Monastery or St Francis' Folly moment.

I'd really like Camilla to return

I'd love to see Lara have a more refined move set now. The scrappy, kinda winging it style was fine for the origins story, but I'd like to see progress in her style. In the comics we've seen her train and improve, so I'd like this to be reflected in the game. Additionally, I'd like a return to a few gymnastics moves. Not necessarily TRU style or amount, but cartwheels or handstand would be a nice addition. Let's see monkey swings, or some proper vaulting or similar.

No more automatic pole swings. If I want Lara to hang from a pole, or do a TRU style pole balance while I go make a cuppa, then she should

No more or less human enemies and encounters than in Shadow.

This list is longer than I'd thought it would be. But it is just a wish list. I'm not gonna have a hissy fit if I don't get my wishes. Though I once wished for an avalanche, so my hopes are slightly confident .

Last edited by Rai; 17-12-18 at 01:43.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 15:19   #19
mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
I only wish two things:
1. An adequate price of the game. Let it cost as Legend or AOD;
2. An ability to run on computer of 2010 year. Isn't it a noncence that you have to buy new machine to play any next game?
1. The cost of AAA game nowdays is humongous and will only increase with time. In order to be profitable and to ensure the franchise will continue in the future, the price has to stay.

2. Unfortunately, the big selling point of games is the graphics and new graphical features. The developers have to adhere to the standards of the industry - which also serves for marketing purposes - for instance, nVidia provides a lot of marketing for Shadow in a way of ray-tracing. With ray tracing, the game will serve as a benchmarking tool and will boost the sales because of people with expensive hardware, who will want to try these new features.
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 22:09   #20
Grizzly Bear

I wish they changed the tombs structure; right now in Shadow (even if it's a huge step in the right direction compared to Rise and TR13) tombs are still very linear (for example the latest one, The Pillar, had great puzzles but it was structured as a long corridor).
I'd like tombs to have a very complex and intricate structure, something like dungeons in classic Zelda games: full of puzzles, not linear and with some enemy encounters.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 19-12-18 at 22:11.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote