www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-10-20, 20:57   #141
FanosCroft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I wanna walk back this question, I think CD can make a classic game, they already did before.
period babes
Old 18-10-20, 07:36   #142
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
I wanna walk back this question, I think CD can make a classic game, they already did before.
I guess you're talking about Anniversary (as you seem to be playing it currently)?

I will have to agree, that the LAU area games were much more like classic Tomb Raider than the Reboot games, and I actually enjoyed most of them. But CD was still missing the point on some very important aspects.
TRL was very linear with little to no side-path that offered room for exploration.
TRA was an improvement, but even there they overly simplified the level layouts, so that most areas felt really-dumbed down compared to the original. If the game was not modeled after TR1, I'd actually say it's quite a good Tomb Raider game, though.
TRU was also great with multiple locations to visit and multiple paths to go - and plenty of stuff to explore. I'd say this is actually the game you can tell they are capable of making a Tomb Raider game. Like most 'final' entries in the TR series it unfortunately was riddled with bugs which made it way less enjoyable that it should have been.

In conclusion, I'd say CD might very well be capable of creating a Tomb Raider game - if they for once let go of their "we have to go with the times / please everyone" attitude and just create something really inspired and bold.
Old 18-10-20, 19:45   #143
larafan25
Sage

1. The game needs to be tank-oriented
2. Surprise us with the ratio of activities... whatever
3. It needs to be compatible even if not immediately connected to the original timeline

Of course they can do it.
Old 19-10-20, 06:01   #144
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
1. The game needs to be tank-oriented
Absolutely not. Unless they're doing ports of the old games. This control scheme was outdated even by late 90s standards. It worked perfect for the first two games and then it simply dragged on. Let it rest.
Old 19-10-20, 06:54   #145
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I think LAU controls are perfect for a Tomb Raider game.

Anniversary is a testimony to how far they can go with it if they tried.
Old 19-10-20, 14:36   #146
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
I think LAU controls are perfect for a Tomb Raider game.

Anniversary is a testimony to how far they can go with it if they tried.
I only partly agree. Magnetic ledges and context-dependent jump distances take away a lot of the platforming difficulty.
Although I'd like to see a modern control scheme, it should still be predictable and consequenly consistent. If she can / cannot make a jump at point A on the map, a same-length jump should/should not be possible at point B in the map - unless upgrades etc. are involved.
Same goes for ledges. If a ceetain type of ledge looks climbable, it must always be climbable and the other way around. Consistency is key here, so that controlling Lara feels challenging and rewarding.
Old 19-10-20, 17:44   #147
Raider8
Explorer

They should make the jumping and grabbing of ledges more realistic. Jumps should be based on the momentum she has gained. Regular jump and a sprint jump should be distinguishable. Lara should not magnetically float and attach to ledges but instead there should be an added animation just like the reboot games where she is trying to reach a ledge by her body posture mid-air but loses the ledge (and land//fall below depending on what is down below) because she didn't jump with enough momentum/speed. This is something that can make the player and the world look much more realistic as well as can preserve the classic gameplay style. Also as I've said a million times, wall scramble needs to go. Plus thenext game should definitely have a proper dive roll.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 17:48   #148
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
They should make the jumping and grabbing of ledges more realistic. Jumps should be based on the momentum she has gained. Regular jump and a sprint jump should be distinguishable. Lara should not magnetically float and attach to ledges but instead there should be an added animation just like the reboot games where she is trying to reach a ledge by her body posture mid-air but loses the ledge (and land//fall below depending on what is down below) because she didn't jump with enough momentum/speed. This is something that can make the player and the world look much more realistic as well as can preserve the classic gameplay style. Also as I've said a million times, wall scramble needs to go. Plus thenext game should definitely have a proper dive roll.
Yes please.
Old 19-10-20, 18:03   #149
ANoDE
Golden

@Raider8: That sounds fantastic. Momentum-based jump distances would increase realism and challenge level at the same time.
Old 19-10-20, 18:17   #150
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I only partly agree. Magnetic ledges and context-dependent jump distances take away a lot of the platforming difficulty.
Although I'd like to see a modern control scheme, it should still be predictable and consequenly consistent. If she can / cannot make a jump at point A on the map, a same-length jump should/should not be possible at point B in the map - unless upgrades etc. are involved.
Same goes for ledges. If a ceetain type of ledge looks climbable, it must always be climbable and the other way around. Consistency is key here, so that controlling Lara feels challenging and rewarding.
I agree about magnetic jumping and inconsistent ledges, but so far in replay Anniversary they've made every ledge grabbable. The reboots changed all of this because those games are based around set pieces, but their original TR games actually made almost every ledge a surface that Lara could grab.

I would say one criticism I have is with the inconsistent heights of the ledges that can be grabbed. Some of them can be a bit far up and grabbed, but then some are a bit closer to her and yet you can't grab it unless you go a specific path. This is mostly an issue in reboot, but it's there in LAU from time to time.

I agree about the consistency in jumps, this seems to be less of an issue in LAU and more of an issue in reboot. In Anniversary Lara can only jump so far and thus every ledge they want you to go to is at a specific distance. Or every platform is usual at least 1-2 tiles away. Reboot on the other hand has Lara jumping across niagra falls to grab a ledge.

I agree with all your points though, it's one of the things that made Reboot, especially Shadow so cartoons and baffling. Especially the axe swing, sometimes she's jump up 6 stories and legit float to the ledge up above.