Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 27-01-23, 20:35   #1
laracroftswest

Default Phoebe Waller-Bridge to pen new Tomb Raider show for Amazon

More here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...235311582/amp/
Quote:
Phoebe Waller-Bridge is getting into action at Amazon.

The Emmy-winning Fleabag grad is readying a TV series based on the popular video game-turned-action movie Tomb Raider. The project, which is in the development stages, is the latest to stem from Waller-Bridge’s recently renewed overall deal with the retail giant and streamer.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Waller-Bridge is attached to write the scripts for Tomb Raider. It’s unclear if Waller-Bridge also plans to star in the TV adaptation of the property, which spawned 2001 and 2018 film adaptations, starring Angelina Jolie and Alicia Vikander, respectively, as the adventurous archaeologist. The Lara Croft character was also voiced by actresses including Camilla Luddington, Keeley Hawes and Minnie Driver in a slew of video game titles. Hayley Atwell also brought the character to life in a Netflix anime series.
laracroftswest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 20:40   #2
charmedangelin

So we are getting an anime from Netflix and a live action TV series from Amazon? Interesting.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 20:41   #3
ostercy

Hopefully Lara will be a posh British "anti-hero".
ostercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 20:47   #4
Tonyrobinson

Well Phoebe is an excellent writing and isn't she playing a very similar character in the new Indiana Jones film?

I'd of preferred a film but we sort of knew it would go this route, atleast she is talented. Hopefully they cast Hayley Atwell or Alicia Vikander. Phoebe does not give me any Lara vibes, she's a good writer though and a great actress.

I think given her similar role in Indy 5 she will not star in this and leave it to another actress to appear as Lara. Best case scenario she brings back Kristin Scott Thomas (she worked with to acclaim) and Alicia Vikander, and continue the story.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 27-01-23 at 20:54.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 20:58   #5
Chamayoo

A live action series ? What a nice surprise !!
Hopefully this project will come to fruition !
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 21:03   #6
Portugalraider

Phoebe Waller-Bridge penning a Tomb Raider TV show?

YES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YES!!!!

I don't if she would be the best actor to portray Lara (I wouldn't be surprised if this is more like Killing Eve, where she penned the first season but did not star in it), but I absolutely love the idea of her writing a Tomb Raider anything! Would also prefer a movie, but as long as she and Amazon take the right lessons from HBO's The Last Of Us, I would be fairly pleased with a live action show. And I do hope they at least offer the role to Alicia Vikander. She deserves another shot.

I knew Amazon publishing the game was the beginning. I wonder if this show will be part of the unified timeline or its own thing. And I wonder if Amazon would pick up the animated series when Netflix inevitably cancels it after the seasons it already commissioned...
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 21:16   #7
HarleyCroft

Cool I've been meaning to watch Fleabag, I heard it's good.
I don't know what Phoebe's acting chops are like but kind of hope they don't go with either Alicia or Hayley
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 21:33   #8
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Cool I've been meaning to watch Fleabag, I heard it's good.
I don't know what Phoebe's acting chops are like but kind of hope they don't go with either Alicia or Hayley
She is also an excellent actress, Fleabag works as much as it does because she really sells both the comedic and dramatic moments of the show really well. It helps that she also wrote the series, but nonetheless great actress.

The only question for her as Lara is if she is also able to portray the physicality of the role as well. But her role in Indy 5 might shed some light in that regard.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 21:41   #9
GeekOfComedy

Amazon is totally in on TOMB RAIDER so you'll get a show that compliments the new game.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-23, 21:46   #10
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post

Amazon is totally in on TOMB RAIDER so you'll get a show that compliments the new game.
Ha ! If this is the case, they are a bit late. I can't see this TV series to release before 2025.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote